Poll

Do you like this map ?

1/5 : That's not even an adventure DUH !
2/5 : Not bad but I prefer to discover secrets, I'm not a fan of competitive maps
3/5 : It's cool but I loose every time, it's not well balanced
4/5 : This map has a great potential and I love the ideas, but you could add more things !
5/5 : Hotlane will be an Hamerwatch's classic, develop it further and take my money !

Author Topic: [PvP] Hotlane 1.0b - The competitive PvE map  (Read 55782 times)

Grokitach

• Hotlane Creator
    • View Profile
Re: [PvP] Hotlane 1.0b - The competitive PvE map
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2013, 02:34:34 PM »
Hehehe yeah.

What I really love, it is people that vote 1/5 without saying why.

sssank

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2013, 05:04:09 PM »
I tried but had an error on lunching your map.
I can't paste error.txt now but I will do soon, any known solution meanwhile?
I never had issues with custom map in this forum section!
Maybe people how voted 1/5 had my same error :(

NekoBaron

• Scripting Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2013, 01:36:08 PM »
Played it solo just for a laugh, dont have tme to find another player for now. Asides from the obvious problems that cant be solved yet like individual spawn points and such here's the only issues I found.

The rune spawning at the bottom was more of a reason to suicide, obviously cant do much without separate spawns. i also noted it was on a random that isn't using the select one only flag which was causing multiple runes to spawn at times.

Also when it came to the boss it was actually easy to lure him down to the spike traps and kill him quickly with it so you might want to disable traps or in the boss.xml make him unaffected by traps.

You could also have announcement chats like "player blues boss is down to 50 percent" and such by using the object filter I think to add a lil more pressure to other lanes.

I wont rate it since I don't feel I should yet.

Grokitach

• Hotlane Creator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2013, 01:50:53 PM »
Thanks for your reply.

About the boss and spikes, that's intended to be used like this. But sometimes it's quicker to kill him with your skills. Especially in 4 player match where the Red rifts skill is really deadly (I will boost it a bit and fix it to the same base, to be independent from the number of players that are joining)

About the multiple runes, it's intended too, but I think that I will remove this feature anyway, waiting for a way to customize them or the potion effects to make a better Runes system.

For announcers that's a good idea.

About pressures on other lanes, I'm thinking about new traps and stuff. Like timed fireball throwers.

NekoBaron

• Scripting Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2013, 02:46:15 PM »
If you want something interesting to add to lanes, put a puzzle in places, like the 4 button random secrets in the campaign to slow people down without resorting to enemy spam.

Also forgot to mention, the part of the lane with archers on the side you might want to add a path to get on to attack them when you get to the end so knights can at least kill the archers and lichs.

Grokitach

• Hotlane Creator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2013, 03:01:56 PM »
Yeah a small riddle could be cool.

About archers, think outside of the box : use the Spike launchers of the bats room ((near the pillars). It will kill them all.

Thats on what my map is mainly based : thinking outside of the box to save some time.It's also based on how you use your ult and when you take your potions. It's the same with the invulnerability potion, you can use it in different rooms where you can save a lot of time depending of your class.

But yeah I will add a path at the end of the room :)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 03:18:13 PM by Grokitach »

Grokitach

• Hotlane Creator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2013, 01:19:08 AM »
To further develop this multiplayer only map, I need more constructive feedbacks.

Grokitach

• Hotlane Creator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2014, 07:17:47 PM »
The development of this map has ended. Have fun with the current version. I don't have time anymore to work on it.

Saffy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2014, 01:47:39 AM »
That's a shame, as I just discovered the map, (as well as other custom maps) and had a play on it with a friend and had a huge amount of fun! It just needed a couple of bug fixes, also I think I made it crash by killing the boss with the spikes... I do hope you can add a couple more updates in the future!

Grokitach

• Hotlane Creator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2014, 11:46:24 PM »
I'll try, I was thinking of a little riddle or something. I played it with 3 of my friend and it was really a BLAST. But it seems that HW players are not really fond of custom maps :/

At the moment I'm focusing on music, I have an EP to finish :P !

Saffy

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2014, 02:30:22 AM »
I'm dying for more maps to play! It seems that most are just WIP, and quite a lot of survival maps. I've taken to starting to learn how to make my own...

Paiyn

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2014, 06:27:33 PM »
There should be more maps like this, really great work!
The reason why not a lot of people are in these forums is due to the fact that most of the players don't even know custom maps exist I think. If only they would put a steam workshop up for this game...

Grokitach

• Hotlane Creator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2014, 08:50:04 PM »
Yeah maybe. What would you like to see added to this map ?

And about the boss, I didn't know that you can kill it with the spikes ! I should fix this ASAP.

Bman255

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2014, 11:34:26 PM »
Hello! I've just started doing a Hammerwatch custom maps first impressions video series, and just featured your map. Although I've only been able to play it in single player so far, I've highly enjoyed the map. One thing I really love and hate about this map is the learning curve. I found my first run of this to be a bit frustrating, but every run after that to be a ton of fun. Hopefully this wont discourage anyone from finishing the map. One of the things that came to mind immediately, is that a player who has memorized the flame trap at the beginning has a huge advantage over someone who hasn't. I'm not familiar with the hammerwatch editor, but it would definitely make things more interesting if the fire traps were randomized somehow, or there were more than one variation to make them harder to memorize. Every lane would still have to have the same pattern though, so I'm not sure how hard this would be to do. The thing I really loved about this map was the ability to lead the boss into traps. A few times I was able to get the boss stuck in the spike traps right outside of the boss room and kill him very quickly. Using the Ranger with as many damage upgrades seems to take down the boss really quickly. I haven't tried with the other classes yet, but maybe the boss should have more health? Also, I noticed nova towers and the boss tend to do a ton of damage. As a no health upgrade Ranger I was getting one shot by most things, but I like how this is set up. Going no health gives a really high risk/reward, and really rewards players for playing well. I think that's all I had for thoughts after my first few playthroughs. If you need any help with testing or need other suggestions/opinions, I'd be happy to help.

Prem

• Handler
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2014, 06:20:03 PM »
I really enjoy this map!  It's a really neat concept and I think you nailed it.  The only issue I have with it is every time I get to the end of the game and I'm trying to kill the boss, the host's game crashes.  It's happened to me twice.  Once when I was host and once when my buddy was host.  I haven't had my game crash before so I'm not sure whether it's an issue with the map or my game but I figured I'd bring it to your attention.  It seemed too convenient that it crashed twice at the same point, ya know?  However, Well done with the map.  You should make 2v2 team lanes as well!!!  Have two portals in the beginning and the players can decide there.  I feel like it would spice it up and give more options to the players.  :)
Too legit to quit.