Author Topic: [Resolved] Making a key drop from the ceiling?  (Read 5027 times)

Feaw

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Making a key drop from the ceiling?
« on: October 24, 2014, 05:39:10 AM »
Gonna go ahead and ask a third question haha.

So basically, I want to have a key drop down like the bombs that fall down when you make an incorrect move in the campaign puzzles. I hiiiighly doubt this is possible, since I'm pretty sure the bombs are hardcoded/prefabs to fall down when called, but if anyone knows how I can achieve this, let me know. Ideally it would make a small bounce, but that's likely not gonna happen haha.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 01:09:59 PM by Feaw »

Dai Tou Zai

• Definitely Not Blitzcrank
    • View Profile
Re: Making a key drop from the ceiling?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 05:50:41 AM »
Its possible, just make the sprites and use Hammersprite

http://hammerwatch.com/forum/index.php?topic=2081.0

i mean theres more to it than just that but yeah
No i'm not blitzcrank, stop asking me.

Feaw

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 06:55:18 AM »
Hmmm....yeah I think I'll just make a doodad key item, I want it to open a gate instead of a normal door anyway, so that way it won't end up in your inventory (you can't edit it out of your inventory once obtained unless you open a door).
I can just make it play the animation once it enters, looking as if it falls down, make a little bounce and time the sound right when it bounces.
I don't think I'm gonna use hammersprite for this, though, I've heard many people have issues with it. I'm just gonna do it manually I think.

Thank you!

Feaw

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 10:02:34 AM »
I changed my mind now, and I'm just adding a new key item with a slightly different graphic that won't work like the other keys, and doesn't really have a purpose on it's own without scripts (like the orbs etc). It will just spawn when you destroy a certain object, instead of falling down.

I might still try and see if a falling key is possible, though, it might be neat for another event!

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 11:07:18 AM »
Very few graphical things you see in the game are hardcoded, the bombs that falls are made in the same way I made the chests and icicles falls in the survival level. It's just an animated bomb that drops, then on the landing frame I spawn a bomb from a spawn script, very simple.

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 11:09:03 AM »

Feaw

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 01:09:24 PM »
Oh! Just play an effect that has the animation of a falling key, and add the key item, and time it right so it spawns at the exact moment it hits the ground :D. Never thought it'd be that easy. Might as well just do that instead of the spawning from the object.

Thanks Hipshot! =)