Author Topic: Please consider different classes.  (Read 20638 times)

RPGMatthew

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Please consider different classes.
« on: September 03, 2013, 08:36:44 AM »
Ive seen some of the developers mention Rogue and Priest classes as being addition to the games.  This confuses me.  I feel as if these classes dont even belong in this Gauntlet like game.  With the amount of enemies you fight, and the lack of a real Threat/Agro system, how would backstabbing possibly work in this game?  How exactly would throwing knives be different than a ranger who is shooting arrows.  How would a stealthy class even work solo or be effective in a team.  I'm not against the idea of adding classes, but why a Rogue out of all your options. 

But the other option you choose is Priest.  The Paladin already has an extremely effective heal.  Too effective.  I mean way too effective.  I can't even imagine there being a healing class with healing more efficient than the paladin.  I understand that you can be creative here but...i mean really the Paladin already heals quite alot.  And again how would this work Solo, i feel as if Solo isn't being considered here at all...which is also odd.

You have alot of unique options to choose from in terms of classes for this Gauntlet style game, but I honestly feel as if these 2 would add the least amount of good gameplay. Tbh i would rather see more campaigns.

Xeronkar

• Boss scripter
    • View Profile
Re: Please consider different classes.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 10:15:13 AM »
I think this post would have a better place in the right topic :3

Linaru

• That Collectable coin is mine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 11:10:58 AM »
Ive seen some of the developers mention Rogue and Priest classes as being addition to the games.  This confuses me.  I feel as if these classes dont even belong in this Gauntlet like game.  With the amount of enemies you fight, and the lack of a real Threat/Agro system, how would backstabbing possibly work in this game?  How exactly would throwing knives be different than a ranger who is shooting arrows.  How would a stealthy class even work solo or be effective in a team.  I'm not against the idea of adding classes, but why a Rogue out of all your options. 

But the other option you choose is Priest.  The Paladin already has an extremely effective heal.  Too effective.  I mean way too effective.  I can't even imagine there being a healing class with healing more efficient than the paladin.  I understand that you can be creative here but...i mean really the Paladin already heals quite alot.  And again how would this work Solo, i feel as if Solo isn't being considered here at all...which is also odd.

You have alot of unique options to choose from in terms of classes for this Gauntlet style game, but I honestly feel as if these 2 would add the least amount of good gameplay. Tbh i would rather see more campaigns.

the priest will likely be an extension on the player status effects being added, which could mean rather than major healing it would have damage reduction buffs or regeneration spells

as for the rouge if its got a roll or stealth move it could be a more hit and run style class that can utilise its movement skills to pass though groups of mobs that would corner other classes.

i know that myran puts a lot of work into make the classes play a different style from each other.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Stabaddey Stabaddey Zap
-----------------------------------------------------------

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 01:49:52 PM »
It's not final that these classes will be any of the new ones. But they are the ones we have talked about the most.
If the Priest is any class in this game, he will most likely take over the roll as the primary healer - the paladin will then be nerfed to, probably only heal himself. It might be a good thing to do too, because the paladin is really OP now, with his heal, insane amount of armor and HP.

Xeronkar

• Boss scripter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 02:44:46 PM »
@Hipshot : I'm happy to see you noticed this unbalance

RPGMatthew

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 05:18:50 PM »
I think this post would have a better place in the right topic :3

This is a new topic so..that makes no sense? It's in Hammerwatch Discussion...this is a discussion about Hammerwatch.  Lol.

I feel as though, with all the options you have available for additional gameplay.  These 2 are more likely to add nothing but exploits.  Compared to maybe a Shaman, Berserker, Jester (please do Jester), or just a Knight. 

And yes the Paladin is definitely quite broken right now.  Easily the best class.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 05:33:20 PM by RPGMatthew »

Myran

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 10:12:50 PM »
Can I ask how would you like a Jester to play?

Keefachu

• Yakisooobaaaa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 02:38:59 AM »
Rogue and Priest are good class ideas! I do have to agree with the others though, that the main classes aren't quite balanced themselves.

RPGMatthew

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 06:40:59 AM »
Can I ask how would you like a Jester to play?

Thats the best part about Jester.  You could do anything.  Look at the Jester in Gauntlet Dark Legacy to see a good example.  You would be completely free creatively.  This isn't the case with any other class.

Maybe an AoE ranged attack for Up arrow (weak).
First Skill could be an attack speed buff (for just the Jester) maybe
Second Skill could be a Decoy (to help with solo play)
Third Skill maybe he creates clones on the side of him to aid in damage and general enemy control

Perhaps he starts off abit weaker in terms of HP, Mana, Armor but moves much faster compared to other classes.  I'm just throwin shit out here because you asked how he would play.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 06:59:38 AM by RPGMatthew »

Grokitach

• Hotlane Creator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 12:09:46 PM »
Just one class to add : Vampire Hunter class with a whip, axes, a throwing cross and holy fire bottles...  8)

It would be the 2nd mid range class with the Wizard.

RPGMatthew

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 06:57:04 PM »
Just one class to add : Vampire Hunter class with a whip, axes, a throwing cross and holy fire bottles...  8)

It would be the 2nd mid range class with the Wizard.

Good idea.  I actually really like that idea. 
I'd also like to say that i am appreciative of anything that gets added.  By no means am i complaining and i support Hammerwatch completely.  If i could help in anyway, i would!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 09:02:27 PM by RPGMatthew »

DragonSlayer

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 02:26:17 AM »
Also you could add a summoner or necromancer to help add NPC's to aid your battle.

Main Attack: weak wand or staff

Starter Ability: Summon lesser monster (Goblin, skeleton, beetle or spirit)
Upgrades for ability:
  • Damage
  • Amount of Summons

Low health and High mana

Some other ability's added too.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 02:28:00 AM by DragonSlayer »

Heretic

• Castle Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 03:05:57 AM »
They said they did a necro already and it was boring or didn't work well. They had summon or whatever as the ability. I think a necromancer would be cooler if it had summons as a defensive spell for running back or needing a tank that things attack (like a ghost or something) and then having heal abilities for their medium ranged main ability (soul sucking or something?) and their special abilities all cost life instead of mana. they literally have 0 mana and their special abilities cost life.

Think it would be challenging if done right. Not a class for nubs eh? :P

Clarity

• Community Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 11:43:15 PM »
Well we need classes that fit the fast-paced play style and I think rouge and priest would do well, but priest may suffer due to the fact that the game just doesn't have time to wait for a priest to mow through the mobs with a certain level of difficulty. Even as a casual class the priest suffers, but I think rogue will do well if it has the same attack speed of the paladin and the same range as the warlock, combined with the ability to throw a dagger, but the dagger will be useless unless it is a high-damage ability or rather causes a status effect like Stun which may stop the enemy from moving and attacking, or disarming an enemy or a group (which is better) so they can't attack. Just my two cents.

RPG_Fatality

• A monster's nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 01:36:34 AM »
I feel like a Bard/Minstrel style class (Red Mage in Final Fantasy) would do really well in this game. Assuming that the priest does show up and the paladin's healing gets reduced to itself only, the Bard would be a great class with some minor group healing. My idea of a bard would be:

Up: Sword
Left: Some sort of song that temporarily improves something like damage or armor
Right: Another song that grants health regeneration temporarily
Down: Offensive magic. Maybe a tornado? i don't really know for this one but i think a tornado would be really cool for DPS within a certain area, and with randomized movement

thats just what i thought of after reading all of the posts above, it seems like it would fit into this game pretty well
Hope you like it :D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 01:48:13 AM by RPG_Fatality »