Author Topic: Suggestion and question about modding  (Read 12896 times)

Clarity

• Community Developer
    • View Profile
Suggestion and question about modding
« on: September 07, 2013, 10:03:24 PM »
Hello there Hammerwatch community and staff! I have a suggestion for you all and a question for those who know the answer.

Suggestion: Make a modding section of the forum with a couple of subforums like Mod Releases, Dev Logs or Mods in progress and Modding Questions section.

Question: How do I repack the assets folder I had extracted? I need so I can make my mod work.

Myran

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion and question about modding
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 10:17:01 PM »
I attached the resource packer tool to make a assets.bin file.

Xeronkar

• Boss scripter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 11:13:32 PM »
Hum thanks for this, i will try to edit some things i have in mind ;)

Clarity

• Community Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 11:51:24 PM »
I attached the resource packer tool to make a assets.bin file.

Thanks, you always deliver whatever I need :)

EDIT: Since Myran hasn't replied to my PM, I'll say it here. I can't seem to unpack the exe for the behaviours and when packing the assets folder, whether modded or not it shrinks it's file size a whole lot and isn't usable anymore.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:32:49 AM by Clarity »

Myran

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 05:51:05 PM »
Ah, shit, sorry about not replying to the PM, the indication is so small :) Um, so the reason for it not working is most likely that the ResourceExtractor only extracts xml and png files, so when you then pack it all up again it's missing the sounds/music/shaders. Sorry about that, completely forgot about it. I attached a version of the ResourceExtractor that extracts everything.

Xeronkar

• Boss scripter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 06:32:26 PM »
You seem to have lot of private features who can help lot of editors, Myran :)
Hope you'll share everything in the next update :D

Heretic

• Castle Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 10:01:37 PM »
How is this resource extractor different than the one in our editor folder? And what exactly is this repacker for?

Clarity

• Community Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 11:45:24 PM »
How is this resource extractor different than the one in our editor folder? And what exactly is this repacker for?

Well this extractor allows for more files to be extracted which allows modders to open up more files like the behaviours and the repacker allows modders to convert our modded files into ones that are usable in game.

Clarity

• Community Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 11:46:34 PM »

Well this extractor allows for more files to be extracted which allows modders to open up more files like the behaviours and the repacker allows modders to convert our modded files into ones that are usable in game.

Edit: Well Xeronkar, Myran can't share everything, that can lead to technical and possibly legal issues so I understand and plus I think I might be the only one serious about modding here so I guess it never came up.

Heretic

• Castle Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 01:43:24 AM »
Are you talking about the behaviors as in the code for the behaviors? Like changing/making your own behaviors? This sounds like a must for me to learn >< What programming is needed?

Also, how would you be able to mod the game and keep the original game too? Is there a mod loading UI I haven't seen?

Clarity

• Community Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 02:41:25 AM »
Are you talking about the behaviors as in the code for the behaviors? Like changing/making your own behaviors? This sounds like a must for me to learn >< What programming is needed?

Also, how would you be able to mod the game and keep the original game too? Is there a mod loading UI I haven't seen?

Well I would have you learn C# because this is the language it is coded in, there is no mod loading UI and is not required at this point and yes you can still keep the original files of the game, but they need to be stored elsewhere while you use the mods (especially if the mod is located IN the assets folder, a custom assets folder if you will).

EDIT: Augh, don't mean to be such a bother, but I guess I can't get the mods moving without the behaviours and even with the new extractor I have no luck with extracting any other file except for the assets.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 03:57:22 AM by Clarity »

Myran

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 02:08:29 AM »
EDIT: Augh, don't mean to be such a bother, but I guess I can't get the mods moving without the behaviours and even with the new extractor I have no luck with extracting any other file except for the assets.
Oh? What are you trying to do, and how?

Clarity

• Community Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 11:00:44 PM »
Oh? What are you trying to do, and how?

Trying to get the behaviours because they aren't located in the assets and I think a couple of extra core game files might help, but other than that i'll be set for my modding plans.

Myran

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 11:36:16 PM »
Ah and you couldn't decompile the exe file? What are you using for decompiling?

Clarity

• Community Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 11:48:05 PM »
Ah and you couldn't decompile the exe file? What are you using for decompiling?

I'm using the resource extractor you gave us.