Author Topic: Hammerwatch Wiki  (Read 13866 times)

NekoBaron

• Scripting Wizard
    • View Profile
Hammerwatch Wiki
« on: September 20, 2013, 08:28:33 AM »
So who else is helping or interested in the random hammerwatch wiki?

http://hammerwatch.wikia.com/

Started editing a few pages myself the other day, was curious if anyone uses it much too since I'm hoping to redo the pages on the scripting objects and add a few basic written tutorials (Since people like me dislike watching videos tutorials).

Plus I'm sure other people have had a lot more practice with the editor that I have so would be nice if some people could just check the info is correct.

Grokitach

• Hotlane Creator
    • View Profile
Re: Hammerwatch Wiki
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 09:04:00 AM »
These wiki are ugly and not usefull : eveytime I'm looking for something it takes me 30 minutes or so. An other site structure would be way better.

NekoBaron

• Scripting Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 09:18:24 AM »
These wiki are ugly and not usefull : eveytime I'm looking for something it takes me 30 minutes or so. An other site structure would be way better.

It is isn't it? But that's the point of a wiki, you improve it by contributing.

I'm hoping to do up the entire scripting part of the wiki ( Is what I've been able to update in the last day http://hammerwatch.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Scripting ) my self because its all just basic information and nothing too useful yet, I just need to practice with the editor more since I don't want to add bad info.

What was you trying to find on the wiki Grokitach?

Grokitach

• Hotlane Creator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 09:25:26 AM »
Different things : secrets and scripting when I was not skilled enough with manipulating them.

The problem is : it's hard to move from a category to an other one. There's no accessible main menu where you can move from one thing to an other. You have to use the search function everytime.

NekoBaron

• Scripting Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 10:54:19 AM »
I can't edit it yet but yeah, the top menus is pretty much just what wikia starts a new wiki with until someone sets it up better.

I'm adding categories to the pages I've updated so it should get more sorted over time.

Grokitach

• Hotlane Creator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 11:04:12 AM »
Ah thats great. For me a good wiki is the Dark Souls wikidot for example.

NekoBaron

• Scripting Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 06:24:33 PM »
Well dark souls has/had a ton of players so a lot of people contribute, and now 'FreshSheet' given me admin I've changed the navigation bar to have its own editor and game tabs, the wiki just really need more people contributing new pages, editing existing ones or just reading over parts since I personally am not that confident in my grammer so I'm not entirely sure if what I've done is written well.

Kavex

• Modder/Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 04:06:05 AM »
its all just basic information and nothing too useful yet,

I started those basic pages in hope people would update them with more information

NekoBaron

• Scripting Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 05:35:16 AM »
its all just basic information and nothing too useful yet,

I started those basic pages in hope people would update them with more information
And personally its helped a lot since its saved me making all the scripting object pages and such, its just a lot of work to update it all alone while also trying to make my own campaign in between, so I'm just trying to get a bit more awareness for the wiki really.
I haven't actually ever edited a wiki this much before such as linking multiple pages around and such so I'm learning the wiki format too and its a huge pain when I learn a better way to do something.

Plus its nice if someone makes a huge page contribution like a tutorial since others can help update it and expand on it for months to come, like my 5 years old https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/TF2/Creating_a_Payload_Map page (When I actually liked it) still gets updated.

Heretic

• Castle Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 06:40:29 AM »
I plan on contributing, but I'm full steam ahead in my campaign for now. I think the wiki is a good idea and it would be good to build it up over time. We need to fix things like: there is no link to the forums on the Hammerwatch.com website. We are missing a lot of traffic because of this.

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 04:46:21 PM »
I wonder if people would use a wiki if we sat up one on hw.com instead, a mediawiki, the system wikipedia uses...
I feel the game is too small atm though?

NekoBaron

• Scripting Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 05:07:14 PM »
I wonder if people would use a wiki if we sat up one on hw.com instead, a mediawiki, the system wikipedia uses...
I feel the game is too small atm though?

It might a good idea later on since an official one can be tarted up and presumably we could link to actual game assets then instead of everyone having to submit images of every object, but at the moment it still needs a lot of work and a few more contributors, the current wikia one is getting better overtime though.