1 (7.7%)
It's OK but needs serious work
1 (7.7%)
Impressive, have a beer
5 (38.5%)
Most fun had since our peanut butter jelly party
6 (46.2%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: [Campaign][WIP] Castle Bloodshed 1.0c  (Read 18628 times)

muz

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
[Campaign][WIP] Castle Bloodshed 1.0c
« on: September 24, 2013, 11:53:49 PM »

Castle Bloodshed
 1.0c
(Download link)

Description:

You play the role of some lost adventurers that arrive at a lonely castle. You soon realize you've found the source of all that's been troubling the locals: the Vampire's hideout.... Quickly an epic quest unfolds as the castle comes alive and throws everything it's got at you.

Difficulty:

Medium/hard difficulty in general, scales with game settings

Players:

Can only be completed with 2 or more players.

Statistics:

Floors: 5
       Bosses: 3-5 depending on play through
       Items:1827
       Doodads:5654
       Actors:1389

Screenshots:

All feedback welcome.

1.0c Update info (29/09/2013):
  • Brand new hidden bonus level! Hint (It's accessible from floor 2)
  • Added general textures: blood walls, new coins, animated fogs, exitdoors
  • New sounds: rogue legacy tracks, havanna browns big banana and many more. Have fun guessing :)
Older version:
Download link
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 09:23:57 PM by muz »

NekoBaron

• Scripting Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: [Campaign] Castle Bloodshed 1.0a
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
Played as solo paladin for now, obviously only did one floor for obvious reasons.

The music was really unsuitable and doesn't really fit with the game (Zelda 1 dungeon theme got repetitive fast)
The mini skeleton bosses were just frustrating at such an early level and the final boss of the first floor can be exploited on a corner, generally if you want bosses you need to design an enclosed area for them.
The entire first floor was just too large and could do with being split up into about 2/3 floors plus there's extra keys in places.
Some of the first shooters can be avoided by walking right up to the wall.
With the level being tight and compact the spawners on the other side of walls tend to get activated early leaving swarms by the time you get around there.
A lot of graphical bug with some walls being out of place, z fighting and invisible areas/breakables not being textured right.
Lack of pacing with health items early on.

I did the entire first floor without quitting.
Didn't feel too repetitive.
2nd floor looked like it had interesting concepts for 2 players (but 1 player might feel left out ding all the buttons only)

I wont rate it since I didn't finish it, honestly the only main issues I had was the music and the random breakable walls in places.

sssank

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 01:47:05 PM »
Seems good, I'll rate your map in 2-3 days after played this co-op with a friend.
I will also give you some advice of what I found insteresting or boring/repetitive.
For the moment thank you so much for sharing this :)

muz

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 02:45:56 PM »
Thanks NekoBaron, I really appreciate you taking the time to test this map. I'm impressed you managed to clear floor 1 as a single player! I understand that a map should be able to be played solo, but so far this a co-op only map.

• The Zelda music is very repetitive I agree, you're not the only person to mention that, so I will consider changing it
  • haha yea I'm too evil: The double early boss knights do only have 1000hp(xplayer count) whereas normally they have 2250, but maybe i need to turn off some of there attacks also?
  • Ok I will consider replacing the first floor bosses, as this is my first big map
  • what do you mean by z fighting? and also if you get the time can you tell me which walls are out of place? i.e. top left doodad a_h_16 or something like that.

Overall great feedback, thanks again. v1.0b will be coming soon.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 02:47:37 PM by muz »

NekoBaron

• Scripting Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 05:17:50 PM »
Z fighting is when 2 doodads that are rendered at the same level are overlapping, the game doesn't understand which on should be rendered in front of the other so they fight and flicking a lot in places. You can see this in the editor usually in places if you slowly scope over the map.

The main issue with those early bosses is with the lack of arena for them you can avoid them which is good, but on the down side their blood swarm attacks penetrate the walls and can hit you across the map. You could set them up to drop a small diamond on death to give more reason to hunt them down.

Also a few save points are too close to enemies like the flower spikes.

sssank

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Re: [Campaign][WIP] Castle Bloodshed 1.0b
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 12:50:49 PM »
I played first level yesterday co-op pala+mage.
found it very very funny :)

please put also minibosses in separate rooms with stairs.

sssank

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Re: [Campaign][WIP] Castle Bloodshed 1.0c
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 06:21:24 PM »
Playing this map in local coop with a friend, game crashed after killing that Santa's squirrel (was that a squirrel?).
This map has great potential! It is very funny and I think that I will play this again with this new release :)

My two cents:
Bosses must be more difficult, for example that squirrel is too easy, spawning lots more green slimes could be funnier!
Bosses must be in a separate rooms with stairs, 'cause of the checkpoint activation if both player dies
Turrets with mage's shoots are a good idea but they must have more HPs
Sometimes checkpoints are too near to mobs horde, maybe you can find better places to put them

All this criticism only to improve 'cause this is so far my preferred campaign (after the original one), and I'm going to try in hard-mode.
Your coop concept is really awesome :)

EDIT: I loved your soundtrack :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 06:24:44 PM by sssank »

muz

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 07:44:54 PM »
Thankyou sssank, Im glad you enjoyed it. I don’t know if I plan to extend on it much more although I am happy to tweak it here and there to make it more playable. Good feedback about the bosses I will keep it in mind.
Do you think the fire towers should have more hp? They’re currently at 400hp. Perhaps you’re just too good at this game lol :)
Haha it’s not really a squirrel, it’s supposed to be Mr Hanky the Christmas poo from south park, Howdy Ho!
Thanks again, btw did you find the bonus level?

sssank

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 07:55:54 PM »
I meant not fire turrets but the one with mob mages shot, that pair of green balls following player! It has something like 50hp I think!
I havent find the bonus level and missed also a stair. I wanted to do everything but I was thinking that boss stairs were for a single zone and planned to return. Anyway, I will play this map again in hard mode for sure :)

artemiderus

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 07:22:10 PM »
My brother and I played Coop for about 40 minutes. I like what I see so far.
Feedback, it is a little disorienting to come back to life at the save point, granted this isn't a big deal, but I am used to coming back aside my gaming partner. This is an interesting way of doing it, I could get used to it.
Yes, it is a little dark, its been said.
It is hard, which is good, but also much different from the campaign I am used to. I realize that much of my feedback is really comparing it to the standard campaign, which maybe isn't fair. This is a good design in it's own right. Good work, I will keep playing and see how it goes.

Paiyn

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 03:33:51 PM »
This was great! One minor detail though, my game always crashes after we kill the turd boss :s
Is there still a lot of content after that?

nutria

• super paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2021, 04:25:10 PM »
hey friend! could you refresh the url to download the map?

Thanks