Author Topic: CUSTOM PUZZLE TIME! [INCLUDES SOURCE FILES]  (Read 6996 times)

NekoBaron

• Scripting Wizard
    • View Profile
CUSTOM PUZZLE TIME! [INCLUDES SOURCE FILES]
« on: September 28, 2013, 04:28:43 PM »
Did the lights out puzzle on the 3rd level? How about we make it 3 colours instead >:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIUoNSi6GwI

Made this in about 2/3 hours today, uses 1 custom doodad for the button and it is randomly generated each time.

I'm going to make the custom button doodad as part of my extra assets pack so people hack have buttons with 6 colour variations instead or used them for multiple combination puzzles, what ever you can think of.

Edit: Open Puzzles for All!
DOWNLOAD: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jfzyob7o5kckq4w/puzzles.7z
Put the puzzles folder in your editor folder, you can play from the editor or the testing version of hammer watch inside the editor folder.

NOTES: Some of the puzzles use custom doodads and wont work if you copy paste them into your own campaigns, and please don't if you intend to. This is for people to learn from and I am quite happy to help people make their own puzzles since some of these are also complicated to understand and not ideal for directly copy pasting.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 08:05:38 PM by NekoBaron »

Kashlavor

• Spike Dodger.
    • View Profile
Re: CUSTOM PUZZLE TIME!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 04:51:27 PM »
Thats cool. 
Starting work on the Lair of the Archnecromantrix, a Hammerwatch campaign!

NekoBaron

• Scripting Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 06:04:16 PM »
I'm hoping to use what I learnt about the variables and such to update the wiki, its kind of fiddly but makes sense after a while. and all the script elements take up about 3 screens due to the complexity.

Thankfully the copy paste in the editor is pretty smart and can paste groups as a new group of elements, saves a lot of time.

NekoBaron

• Scripting Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 02:33:25 AM »
Double post, because I remade another classic puzzle.

The idea is to swap blue and red over by moving or jumping over the other colour, I don't remember the name of it but some people may recognise it.

I'm thinking of releasing these puzzles freely at some point when I have a couple more made, plus they use part of the extra asset pack I'm trying to make.

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 04:38:14 PM »
Interesting!

I have been thinking about asking the community for some puzzles before, mostly for the desert campaign, but I haven't sorted out the details and such. The same kind of puzzles over and over again get's boring =/

NekoBaron

• Scripting Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 05:05:05 PM »
Interesting!

I have been thinking about asking the community for some puzzles before, mostly for the desert campaign, but I haven't sorted out the details and such. The same kind of puzzles over and over again get's boring =/

I'm pretty confident with most of the scripting elements now and have suggested an extra scripts objects that would be helpful in another topic. I'd be pretty happy to help get some collaboration together to help design the areas and the puzzles and such for an official campaign and such, no pay of course just the permission to put it down as work on a resume at some point (I kind of have a wasted games programming degree at the moment).

Plus I'd also really appreciate my idea of an extra community content pack being looked into and included so everyone has access to a few extras such as the multicoloured buttons/icons and other helpful features, would love to get my hands on a more accessible editor first though since running a level from editor requires me to copy paste hammer watch to a new folder for now and I get worried I'll copy paste over something important when it updates.

I've made a timer spike trap and a loop spike circuit for now and also this:

Random disco because it seemed like a good laugh.

Edit:

A randomly generated combination lock that could be extended easily.

Would a hieroglyphics puzzle work well in a desert? could random it every game.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 11:13:57 PM by NekoBaron »

NekoBaron

• Scripting Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: CUSTOM PUZZLE TIME! [INCLUDES SOURCE FILES]
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 08:07:19 PM »
BUMP: In a nod to the hammerwatch campaign files been open to all now I've added a link to the source files of my puzzles so now anyone can see them in the editor.