Author Topic: [CAMPAIGN][WIP] Azuron  (Read 13558 times)

NekoBaron

• Scripting Wizard
    • View Profile
[CAMPAIGN][WIP] Azuron
« on: September 15, 2013, 09:53:22 PM »
IN ALPHA

Enter Azuron and fight across the land, collect the 3 gems to unlock the wizards tower and defeat him to stop his reign of terror over the people of Azuron.

What the campaign will have:
Starting mines
Overworld map
3-8  general map locations (villages, pass through areas, bonus caves)
4 Main Dungeons (collect 3 gems to unlock the 4th one)
Scripted events (Im enjoying the path scripts)
Basic custom art since I cant draw well.
Custom enemies / bosses

The difficulty is going to vary a lot, I'm using the difficulty filter to remove extra enemies and spawners on easier difficulties, anyone should be able to chill through easy and anyone looking for a challenge should be pressured by hard.

Going to add final screenshots and download in this post, and post work in progress in additional posts.

ALPHA 0-15 https://www.dropbox.com/s/rf37er99b126idi/Azuron_0_15.hwm
ALPHA 0-19 https://www.dropbox.com/s/93zl4bllwqqzunx/Azuron_0_19.hwm
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 07:45:30 PM by NekoBaron »

NekoBaron

• Scripting Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: [CAMPAIGN][WIP] Azuron
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 10:00:13 PM »
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=178909319

Screenshot of custom overworld and the graphics I designed for it, unfortunately I deleted my cliff graphics in gimp by accident so they will be remade, they're designed to make the world look multilevelled. show physics is on.

All the cliffs and the water has custom animated waves doodads on the edge, I've also created a custom minimap asset for them so the map will display as expected.

I just need to create trees/location icons and such for the map then work on the locations plus I'll need some desert assets.

Nastaros

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 10:45:47 PM »
Can't wait to try you're campaign.. good luck!

NekoBaron

• Scripting Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 12:22:15 AM »
Here's an extremely rough early version (hence the 0.03 version of it)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8jz5shihwsgpk3c/Azuron_0_03.hwm

At the moment there's the starting open mines area which can take about 10 mins which I probably need to tweak more possibly since my friend suggests it might take too long if you go the wrong way.

I think I need to add a fake actor since by default telling enemies to run a path for an event takes ages if they have a slow move speed.

The exit of the mines and a rough version of the overworld map you can look at and check the mini map on.

Grokitach

• Hotlane Creator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 06:11:22 AM »
You should avoid to make a global map... Just make a big hub area with Hammerwatch tools. It's really not that long (the problem of map editing is not the map it self, it's the scripting and the overall balance). Or at least, upgrade the graphics of your map, because at the moment it's kinda ugly :/
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 08:03:01 AM by Grokitach »

NekoBaron

• Scripting Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 08:20:13 AM »
I'm quite bad at art assets personally so I'm getting a friend to work on them, and I wanted a global map to give the campaign a better flow such as better shops being near the harder ones, its going to be linear really such as you wont be allowed to pass though areas till you do the first dungeon since obviously access to every dungeon instantly wont work unless I did insane amounts of scripting or duplicate level selection.

The screenshot is mostly ugly at the moment since lighting was disabled and the cliffs were place holder assets and its a screenshot of the editor not in-game. Most of the dungeon art is going to be the default stuff mostly and working on the world maps helping me learn doodads and creating minimap icons for them better.

Heretic

• Castle Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 10:45:36 AM »
There are other tilesets out there free to use. Not meant for this game and usually 32bit instead of the native 16 here in hammerwatch, but I've done a lot of work importing other tilesets to use in my campaign. Campaign seems interesting though, I hope you keep making it!

NekoBaron

• Scripting Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 04:44:35 PM »
There are other tilesets out there free to use. Not meant for this game and usually 32bit instead of the native 16 here in hammerwatch, but I've done a lot of work importing other tilesets to use in my campaign. Campaign seems interesting though, I hope you keep making it!

Don't refer to the grid size as 32bit and 16bit, that's to do with colour depth...

Heretic

• Castle Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 05:41:38 PM »
yup, it is also the scaling of the sprites in the engine. Usually want to follow the power of 2 or whatever, usually mean s 8 16 32 64 128, etc, but you can also use incriments of 8 of your tileset scales that way. So the native tileset and dodoads are pixel art scaled at 16, and the ones that I'm using are scaled at 32.

Make sense?

NekoBaron

• Scripting Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 10:50:14 PM »
There is an early alpha version now posted in the opening post.
You can currently play up to the end of the first actual boss of the forest caves.

Its dark in there.

There's a lot of place holder art still and invisible walls to stop people walking off the maps for now but it should be playable for anyone.

Heretic

• Castle Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 11:45:21 PM »
Will be playing this soon!

muz

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 03:01:39 AM »
Hi I just tried alpha_15: Great stuff, very neat level design and consistent tempo. I played through to the first mine, solo paladin, and managed to get the golden key but I couldn't find the door? so I left the dungeon. When I re-entered all the mobs and doors were respawned :( I don't know if this is something you could fix or not? Or maybe you don't want to?

That's as far as I got because honestly grabbing all those bronze keys was taking a long time, If maybe there was some other challenge to vary that dungeon abit? like some traps, or puzzle; as right now it's just mobs, door, key, mobs, door, key.

Very attractive map though I wish I could make levels that look as good as yours.

NekoBaron

• Scripting Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 11:46:48 AM »
The gold door is back at the top of the map, if you feel up for it and managed to get there its a short walk on the 2nd floor and a custom boss battle (need more work on the art still but I loved making the actual boss skill set).

As for everything re spawning I think that's an issue with how I set up the levels.xml, I wanted to use the acts category to make the minimap show the right names for areas but it seem if you change act the game deletes all the data for the levels to save space. Which explains why you cant go back on the main campaign so either I have to make it all one big act or talk to the dev team about making it an option to lose map data on act change.

yeah the forest dungeons a lil dull but I'm hoping by only having 1 floor and a smaller 2nd floor people wont mind a bit of grinding and I added a lot of shortcut buttons to cut down travel time, I'm planning each dungeon to have its own theme and flow so the next one will be in a desert tomb and such so puzzles and traps will play a bigger part.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 11:58:54 AM by NekoBaron »

NekoBaron

• Scripting Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 08:13:14 PM »
Just bumping to say I updated it a bit more.

The 1st dungeon shouldn't reset now when you leave it.
Added the start of the desert area and a desert tunnel to get though with a small arena fight.

I still need to add proper details and fill in the gaps, I'm currently just using invisible walls to block walking off the map and such.
This is just a small update really and I haven't managed to goes through it fully in one run yet only tested in sections.

Currently I'm delayed on the graphics for the 2nd dungeon waiting to see what theme_E is going to look like when its released since I've read it fits the theme. Its going to be a sort of desert ruins tomb with puzzles and trap.