Author Topic: Shadow Layers  (Read 5502 times)

Heretic

• Castle Runner
    • View Profile
Shadow Layers
« on: October 21, 2013, 09:19:30 PM »
So I've only been able to get items to be "under" a wall's shadow by placing it on the doodad layer 0. When on layer 1 or higher it is not affected by the wall's shadows. This is even if the wall is on a higher layer, etc. Is therea  way to get other layers to be affected by a shadow?

NekoBaron

• Scripting Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow Layers
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 09:27:16 PM »
Its not affected because its a higher layer than the walls and the shadows they make, You can go negative in layers if you need to.

Heretic

• Castle Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 09:40:53 PM »
When using the editor I can only seem to use CTRL+# for changing layers. Default layers listed in the .xml don't seem to work in this same sense, ie. I have a defaultlayer=20 on an item, but items that I ctrl+5 group will show above them.

When you say the item is higher than the shadow - what determines the shadow's layer? How do you place into a degative layer from within the editor?

Heretic

• Castle Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 09:58:09 PM »
Also, if anyone is knowledgable can you explain the shadows a bit? The polygons don't make sense to me like collision does. is there any kind of helpful hint on how to shape your shadows?

NekoBaron

• Scripting Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 10:59:31 PM »
You have to think of shadows quite literally, you use polygons to define the outline and they are rendered as an offset.

This makes it easy make make simple shadows but it is also completely useless if your trying to make a shadow of something that is taller or shorter than a default wall.

Also layers aren't just about the value, they're rendered in the vertical order they are on screen based on their origin. Setting a higher layer helps when you have objects on the same level like a painting, by default it would fight a wall for priority but setting the layer higher means it is always rendered later and on top of a wall.

Heretic

• Castle Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 11:39:23 PM »
Okay so if I want something to be under a shadow, I have to put it at layer 0 or less than 0, is there a way to bring it to a negative layer in the editor? If I have to do it be defaultlayer in the xml doesnt that mean I have to bring literally everything else below 0 in order to compensate?

And is there a way to adjust a shadow's height?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 11:41:21 PM by Pwnography »

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 01:48:32 PM »
It's been added, but not patched, so that you can go very much below zero.
Using ALT with CTRL and then numbers.

It will be patched in the future!

Heretic

• Castle Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 03:17:48 PM »
It's been added, but not patched, so that you can go very much below zero.
Using ALT with CTRL and then numbers.

It will be patched in the future!

Awesome! That will make things a bit easier for me! You guys rawk!