Author Topic: OpenAL error  (Read 27937 times)

rabidbunnyrf

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
OpenAL error
« on: October 20, 2013, 10:58:02 AM »
Hello,

after moving to windows 8 i have started experiencing problems with this game. At first it would just crash, so following the troubleshooting instructions i move openal32.dll into the hammerwatch folder.

this means i can now start (and play) the game but i get the following error "could not initialise openAL, no sounds will be played, try updating your openAl drivers".

I've searched for updated drivers, and installed what are possibly v2.1 but i dont know how to verify this.

quick hw info :
intel i5 3rd gen, radeon 6800 series, asus z77v-lx2 board and auzentech xi-fi forte soundcard.
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Q0nOO8XDrDygfiiZ2KxHg7d

any ideas on how to proceed ?

« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 11:12:54 AM by rabidbunnyrf »

NekoBaron

• Scripting Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Alchemy error
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 02:40:31 PM »
Its a common problem with windows 8 being suck, also its Open Audio Library not Open Alchemy :p

hammerwatch.com/OpenAL32.dll put that into your hammer watch directory.

will be in something like steam/steamapps/common/

rabidbunnyrf

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Re: OpenAL error
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 11:18:42 AM »
Im not sure why i wrote alchemy  ::)

Anyway, i originalyl added openal32.dll into the folder as recommended in another post since hammerwatch would just crash on start. This has cured the crash but i keep getting the initialise error instead.

Since the post, out of frustration i have taken the soundcard out of the pc and uninstalled all associated programs. Currently the only audio driver i have installed is the amd hdmi audio, which i use on the TV (its a steambox-a-like, previously i had the soundcard connected via optical to my amp).

Now I still get the openal initialisation error regardless of whether openal32.dll is in the hammerwatch folder or not. Its confusing me as this game worked fine when i had windows 7 installed ;(

NekoBaron

• Scripting Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 02:18:42 PM »
Removing sound card wont help, personally I don't know enough about it but I have read a lot about the lack of support for openAL on windows 8.

I think the Hammerwatch devs can update it to auto install like other steam games do.

Personally I would have stuck with windows 7.

rabidbunnyrf

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 03:28:56 PM »
Without going into details, i can no longer revert to windows 7 unfortunately, and i wasnt really aware that openal existed until i started looking into why hammerwatch was crashing  ;)

I thought it may be related to the soundcard drivers which is why i removed it, ill leave it out anyhow for the moment until a solution presents itself