Author Topic: [RELEASED] - Ravenwatch - Act 1 BETA - 0.18  (Read 85109 times)

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
Re: [Campaign] - Ravenwatch - Act 1 TRAILER RELEASED (5/01/2014)
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2014, 10:23:49 PM »
Really really cool. Congrats on getting so far on this, looking forward to the release!

Kashlavor

• Spike Dodger.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2014, 05:13:45 AM »
Very exciting.

How did you do the music?  Just looking for tips on art/music (anything really).

Also curious how you implemented the spawning animations (skeletons rising from ground or spider dropping from ceiling).

I especially like the stairs, adding in the cliffs and elevation to the level really breaks things up and adds some more dimension and texture to the level design.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 05:27:28 AM by Kashlavor »
Starting work on the Lair of the Archnecromantrix, a Hammerwatch campaign!

Heretic

• Castle Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2014, 10:11:08 AM »
Very exciting.

How did you do the music?  Just looking for tips on art/music (anything really).

Also curious how you implemented the spawning animations (skeletons rising from ground or spider dropping from ceiling).

I especially like the stairs, adding in the cliffs and elevation to the level really breaks things up and adds some more dimension and texture to the level design.

I used Audacity, which is a freeware audio editing software. I got permission from Mochipet to use their song and then mixed it using that program.

Spawning animations are a bit tricker - in the .xml you can have a sprite bank and name it something (I name mine "Summon") <sprite name="summon"> and in the editor you can use the PlayEffect and select the monster.xml:summon as the effect you want to play. To get it on the reaper and spider boss it is a scripted event so I can really customize it how I want - but to do it for the skeletons and the spiders I made a prefab so that I don't have to script every little mob. The prefab lets me script it just once and then place it however many times I want :D

Thanks for your feedback, I wanted to have the outdoor areas have a new feel to them, and the cliffs/stairs were a perfect way to get the feel I wanted!

Kashlavor

• Spike Dodger.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2014, 06:34:24 PM »

Spawning animations are a bit tricker - in the .xml you can have a sprite bank and name it something (I name mine "Summon") <sprite name="summon"> and in the editor you can use the PlayEffect and select the monster.xml:summon as the effect you want to play. To get it on the reaper and spider boss it is a scripted event so I can really customize it how I want - but to do it for the skeletons and the spiders I made a prefab so that I don't have to script every little mob. The prefab lets me script it just once and then place it however many times I want :D

---

So you actually have a spritebank in the monster's actor xml?  Is the prefab just a circle area or somesuch that triggers when the players get close?

Heretic

• Castle Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2014, 08:50:06 PM »

So you actually have a spritebank in the monster's actor xml?  Is the prefab just a circle area or somesuch that triggers when the players get close?

For the skeletons and spiders yes, its an area near them that triggers the playeffect, and then spawns the mob precisely where it should be after the animation

Kashlavor

• Spike Dodger.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2014, 03:43:31 AM »
I'd be willing to try my hand at putting together a dungeon or two if you still need people.

Lorencia

• Lore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2014, 04:05:17 PM »
What a beauty this campaign is ;)

Sol Morningstar

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2014, 09:27:56 PM »
HEY ! Got your email ! everyone is extremely excited to play it, I can't wait for it to come out !! any eta on the demo/first act ? :)

Heretic

• Castle Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2014, 12:17:42 PM »
Sorry on the delay folks! I had hoped to get it finished before I went out of town for a vacation to meet my wife's family and such, but that didn't happen! As an update, I'm currently working on the final level which I think will be the funnest level, and once that's done I'll be releasing the act 1 beta for all to play!

Thanks so much for everyone's patience, this project has been a lot of fun in the making!

Kashlavor

• Spike Dodger.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2014, 03:57:57 PM »
Woooo!

Grokitach

• Hotlane Creator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2014, 09:55:44 AM »
This trailer looks gorgeous  :o

MadMan

• Faggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2014, 07:20:00 PM »
How long is the gameplay of the map?

Heretic

• Castle Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2014, 02:41:46 PM »
How long is the gameplay of the map?

It's 5 Levels, 7 maps total if you count the town and side area. I'm not sure how long it will be to play through it all, since it's meant to be a challenge and harder than the normal campaign overall. I'm hoping for a few solid hours of gameplay from all this including the boss :D

Heretic

• Castle Runner
    • View Profile
bump - Released and available on the Steam Workshop!

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
You might wanna post the hwm to those that don't have steam though =) the DRM free version.