Author Topic: Sprite Usage  (Read 13247 times)

minimurder28

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Sprite Usage
« on: December 09, 2013, 08:18:57 PM »
I am new to the modding community and I was wondering if someone could give me step-by-step (preferably) instructions on how to install/use new character sprites.  ???

Thanks.

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Sprite Usage
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 01:55:14 PM »
Do you just want to replace the old ones with new graphics?

minimurder28

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 07:02:35 AM »
yes. please....HOW DO YOU DO IT!?!?!??!

FFSnipe

• Maze Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 09:01:53 PM »
Actually I would love this as well. I am not sure if I am overlooking things here, but I can't find anything to get me on the level of most people in the forums. I am completely lost.
Spoils to the victor...

Enjay

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 11:27:21 PM »
Firstly, it depends on whether you just want to play the normal campaign with different character sprites, or if you want to create a custom campaign that makes use of different character sprites.

If you're just planning on using different sprites for the main campaign, you're going to run into issues. The sprites are a part of the campaign just as much as the level lay-out and game logic are. They're irreversibly intertwined with the campaign, and can't be changed without some serious work that I can't even comprehend accomplishing.

So let's just hope you're talking about custom campaigns (And the alternative to the above issue, that is sort of a work-around)!
Firstly, in your custom campaign, you have to unpack the assets using the ResourceExtractor.
(Copy assets.bin to your custom campaign folder, and then drag it from the custom campaign folder onto the ResourceExtractor. This will create a bunch of folders in your custom campaign folder that contain all of the HammerWatch assets. These assets will overwrite all of the native game assets when that custom campaign is run.)
Now it's only a matter of finding the Sprites within the assets (hammerwatch\editor\customCampaign\actors\player\) and modifying them.

Now, if you really just want to play through the main campaign with your custom sprites, you can download the editor files for the campaign, (Located in resources, courtesy of Hipshot), and go in and modify the sprites in that, re-pack it, and play. However, I'm pretty sure that would prevent you from getting any achievements.

If you have any further questions, or need anything I said explained, feel free to ask!
Every time I post I get nervous because I feel like the devs are judging me.

FFSnipe

• Maze Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 02:28:12 AM »
thank you enjay. very much. I cant speak for minimurder28, but for me, I am just thinking about making some custom tilesets and doodads to match for a map i am working on. I know I am new, but i like jumping head first into the fire  ;D

also, sorry for asking, but the resourceextractor... where would I get it at? and are there any rules for naming campaigns and setting up the folders?
Spoils to the victor...

Enjay

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 02:38:52 AM »
So you have your hammerwatch folder, and in that an editor folder. In the editor folder, you should create a new folder, and name it whatever you'd like for your campaign. This is where you'll put the copy of assets.bin (Found in the hammerwatch folder). You also need the levels.xml and the info.xml files in the folder, otherwise the campaign won't work properly. (Attached below if you need them). The ResourceExtractor is in the editor file, simply drag and drop your copy of assets.bin onto it, and then your campaign folder should have plenty of new stuff in there.

FFSnipe

• Maze Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 02:56:08 AM »
there are no words that can express my thanks. and such a quick reply  8) now that i have the basics set up, time to start work. doing 2d work seems so much better to me. im sick of valves SDK and its crap lol. so time to start on a new game. hopefully i can produce something worth playing. wish me luck.
Spoils to the victor...

Enjay

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 04:46:21 AM »
Good luck.

FFSnipe

• Maze Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 01:49:37 AM »
well, I ran into a lil bit of a problem when I followed the instructions you gave me... when I ran the editor, it came up with a crap load of errors and I have no clue what to do now...
EDIT: Forgot to mention, all custom doodads are working fine, but my custom tilesets are not.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 01:53:53 AM by FFSnipe »
Spoils to the victor...

Enjay

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 02:27:02 AM »
Tons of errors is normal. That's saying that the resources you have there are just copies of resources that are already present. They should work fine.

For custom stuff I can't tell you what the issue is without seeing it myself, otherwise I'd just be shooting in the dark :D

FFSnipe

• Maze Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 07:02:34 PM »
Tons of errors is normal. That's saying that the resources you have there are just copies of resources that are already present. They should work fine.

For custom stuff I can't tell you what the issue is without seeing it myself, otherwise I'd just be shooting in the dark :D
thank you about the error thing. Now a lil bit more detail about the tileset problem. I basically copied an existing tileset, edited it, and named it something else. I copied all the xml files associated with it and edited them to corespond with the new PNG file. I double checked all of them just to make sure it was correct. All the files are in the Tilemaps folder, yet none of the custom ones are showing up. do all the tilemaps show up in the editor, or do I need to edit another file somewhere to have it default load that custom tilemap?

EDIT: Enjay, I just downloaded your custom tilemap and doodads. they all work great for me. which makes no sense on what I missed. I edited every single xml file to correspond with the new png file... im so confused.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 07:24:07 PM by FFSnipe »
Spoils to the victor...

Enjay

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 01:02:19 AM »
Ahh, this is an issue with Tilemaps specifically. You have to change the layer that the tilemap uses in it's xml to something that none of the other tilesets use. I managed this by just changing it to various things until it worked.

FFSnipe

• Maze Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 01:58:27 AM »
Ahh, this is an issue with Tilemaps specifically. You have to change the layer that the tilemap uses in it's xml to something that none of the other tilesets use. I managed this by just changing it to various things until it worked.
Hey it worked. nice. thank you again man. have I mentioned how great you are?  ;D
Spoils to the victor...

Grokitach

• Hotlane Creator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 07:59:56 AM »
Post information about your map projects please :D