Author Topic: Modifier  (Read 9132 times)

mikael_deity

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Modifier
« on: December 30, 2013, 10:20:20 AM »
Just bought this retro-marvel on GOG, now I'm playing through the campaign in local with a couple of friends. Playing with lives is ok but it  happens that if one dies, stays like forever watching the others playing  till they find an 1up. If we use infinite lives it becomes ultra easy as respawn is immediate and so saving health is not a concern.

I'm proposing a respawn time bar in the modifier menu in which one can set the amount of time from death to resurrection.

I think that a value of 30/60 seconds would be good to scale difficulty in multiplayer, so if someone dies, the other must resist alone for a bunch of time so gameover could happen, but removing the part when players go solo with friends doing nothing. what do you think?
Happy new year!

mikael_deity

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Re: Modifier
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 05:24:12 PM »
bump

DivinityArcane

• wat
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 01:15:51 AM »
That's an interesting idea. Having played with a lot of lives in excess, I can see where it can be a bit "over-powered" to have players just respawning quickly after dying, which makes boss battles a bit too easy at times.

An alternative to the timer would be to increase the time it takes to respawn either: with each death; or if you've died in the last X seconds previously.

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 11:02:57 AM »
I admit that the life thing isn't really the best solution, however I don't think we had time to look at that issue then and now it's what it is.

The best solution would be to ask the dead player if he wants to buy a life (at a greater cost than standard) and then respawn, or he can just wait until someone finds a life.

In local, there should have been a much greater respawn timer from death than it is (the time now is the death animation I think), dying in a local coop is a frustrating thing, cause the confusion when the camera just snaps can kill the player again and also the already living player...

DivinityArcane

• wat
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 07:45:57 AM »
The idea of buying a life is indeed pretty viable. I also have to second that the camera snapping to another player is _really_ confusing. Especially if you get one-shotted by an enemy, and have no idea what happened.

mikael_deity

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 08:17:49 PM »
I would really appreciate if they add a "crutch" for respawn timing next update! 0-30-60 secs! Devs, listen to us!

Blue001

• Blue Ranger
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 03:19:43 PM »
I admit that the life thing isn't really the best solution, however I don't think we had time to look at that issue then and now it's what it is.

The best solution would be to ask the dead player if he wants to buy a life (at a greater cost than standard) and then respawn, or he can just wait until someone finds a life.

In local, there should have been a much greater respawn timer from death than it is (the time now is the death animation I think), dying in a local coop is a frustrating thing, cause the confusion when the camera just snaps can kill the player again and also the already living player...

Is there a way to have the screen pan more slowly to center on the living character instead of just popping over? I haven't played local yet, so I'm not sure what it's like now.

Also, in regards to the ideas of making 0 lives respawn possible, I like the idea of being able to buy a life at a higher cost. Or you could even have the cost start higher than normal, and slowly tick down by one gold every second. So the longer the player waits the cheaper it is for them to come back. This would allow players with low gold amounts the ability to re-spawn after a while too.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 03:21:32 PM by Blue001 »
Once upon a time I Production Manager on Terraria. Now I make Let's Plays, (Doing one of Hammerwatch now.) check them out!
https://www.youtube.com/user/BlueZeroZeroOne

CrusaderDeleters

• The Great Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 03:22:09 PM »
Also, in regards to the ideas of making 0 lives respawn possible, I like the idea of being able to buy a life at a higher cost. Or you could even have the cost start higher than normal, and slowly tick down by one gold every second. So the longer the player waits the cheaper it is for them to come back. This would allow players with low gold amounts the ability to re-spawn after a while too.
Actually, I love that. Even in Non-local multiplayer.
But one problem: Some people HATE having to wait, and something picking up every little bit of loot would also be considered "having to wait".
The King of Maernol

DivinityArcane

• wat
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 03:31:12 AM »
I like the idea of having the price go down per-second. Additionally, for those who are a bit impatient, maybe make it tick more than 1 gold per second while you're lower level, and have it scale as you level up. i.e. 1 per second at level 5, 1 per 2 seconds at level 10, etc.

CrusaderDeleters

• The Great Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 06:41:45 PM »
I like the idea of having the price go down per-second. Additionally, for those who are a bit impatient, maybe make it tick more than 1 gold per second while you're lower level, and have it scale as you level up. i.e. 1 per second at level 5, 1 per 2 seconds at level 10, etc.
They'd have to do it by acts, not levels. I'm always odd when I do levels in Act 2. I always head up to level 5, then go to 4 afterward.
The King of Maernol

DivinityArcane

• wat
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 11:12:50 PM »
I was actually referring to player level, but acts works nicely too.

CrusaderDeleters

• The Great Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 11:32:11 PM »
I had not known there were player levels.
Well, I guess they would implement one based on how many upgrades you bought, but that is easy to bypass. I mean, I only buy Health, Shield, and Sword Arc/Damage, along with Holy Storm and Combo Nova.
The King of Maernol