10 (66.7%)
Good Concept : Needs a lot of work
2 (13.3%)
Not Great : Has a loong way to go
0 (0%)
Terrible: You should salvage what you can and make a new map
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: [Survival] : Eye of the Storm Arena v1.1  (Read 18320 times)

RedRookLord

• Dungeon Crafter
    • View Profile
[Survival] : Eye of the Storm Arena v1.1
« on: January 07, 2014, 02:14:38 AM »
Introduction

Hello wonderful, small hammerwatch community. This is my first dungeon I'm going to publicly release and it's a survival type. Originally, I was going to make a traditional dungeon, but I decided to make something a lot shorter instead and this was the result of one evening of dungeon crafting. The concept is that when an enemy is killed, another will take its place. It's just one wish that I could detect enemy deaths instead of enemies leaving an area and detecting what the enemy type is, but I had to find work-arounds.

The Map - Difficulty Varies (Easy - Hard)

So, a lot of the map is based on a slight amount of randomness. There are currently 4 different random triggers in the map. The first is chests. At the center of the arena, there are 3 groups of 5 chests each. These chests, as you probably know, can provide either upgrades, lives, or money. They give players a reason to run around the room rather than staying in the narrow corridor at the entrance to the shop/spawn zone. Second, there are consumables that randomly spawn at the edges and center of the room. They provide either health or mana, depending on which spot you're at. Lastly, and the most important, when an enemy dies, another RANDOM enemy respawns instantly. Thankfully, stronger enemies are rarer, but if you let them stack up, eventually, all the enemies will be tier 3s or 4s. It's a good idea to eliminate these more powerful opponents quickly before they start stacking up in large numbers. With recent tests, I have determined that the map definitely works in multiplayer, but I think multiplayer might get an overhall soon. I have also determined that the end game is a little boring, so I want to spice it up. Let me know what you think about multiplayer and also what you think about both single and multiplayer end game below.

Conclusion

If you like what you see, try out the map and say what you think about it below. If you think something is unfair or you have some ideas for what I could do to the map, also post that down below. I'll attach the map below as well.

(Note): I've gotten some confused users asking where the link is. You need to be logged into a forum account to see the link at the bottom of this main post. Find the latest version and it should work, just follow the instructions in the zip file.

Patches

Patch 1.1

-Complete arena redesign
-Minibosses now spawn
-Income is reduced
-You now gain money per kill
-Removed potion vendor
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 11:42:27 PM by RedRookLord »

Gammer001

• Hyrule Savior.
    • View Profile
Re: [Survival] : Eye of the Storm Arena v1.0
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 02:35:35 AM »
You could change the speed of the melee enemies to be faster than the player can possible be (exc. combo) that might fix the kiting problem.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RedRookLord

• Dungeon Crafter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 02:58:07 AM »
I could probably do that, but the problem with making it impossible to kite makes the game...well...kind of bull. I think the best approach would be to change the way the map functions in some way so that you can't eliminate the stronger enemies and be left with the weaker ones.

Gammer001

• Hyrule Savior.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 03:42:24 AM »
How about not let any more chests spawn until X number of enemies die. Also don't let chests spawn on top of each other. I would also like to point out that you can buy more lives from the potion shop so that should be changed. The powerups also spawn WAY too frequently, I got so much armor every enemy did 1 dmg so I just fire balled my way through to the middle and spammed meteor shower and got tons of money from the drops.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RedRookLord

• Dungeon Crafter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 03:59:36 PM »
I just finished a massive overhall on the map and I'm currently testing it before release. You'll likely see it later today.

Flygar Stenen

• Skeleton Hater.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 07:02:59 PM »
After playing a game with my friend, we have completed this survival, after slaying a combined 153 941 enemies and doing over 10 000 000 damage the enemies stopped spawning, so now we have really WON this survival.

The classes used were Wizard and Ranger at medium (no crutches/challenges).

RedRookLord

• Dungeon Crafter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 07:06:53 PM »
Nice work, my friend managed to break the game in a similar way. Hopefully the map should be a little more challenging in the next update coming very very soon.

Flygar Stenen

• Skeleton Hater.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 07:36:56 PM »
Might as well add that I am fully upgraded now, trying to see how many lives we can get, atm we are at like 90

EDIT

Max lives were 99, so now I can only buy pots to get that pot sound :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 07:45:11 PM by Flygar Stenen »

RedRookLord

• Dungeon Crafter
    • View Profile
Re: [Survival] : Eye of the Storm Arena v1.1
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 11:29:08 PM »
Uploaded version 1.1, the patch notes will be located up at the main post, enjoy!

Keppler

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 02:24:18 PM »
This is a great map idea and it can be very fun if made well. I would add to Gammer's comment that the monster speed is fine, but the arena itself could be a little smaller. Making it tighter makes kiting harder and increases the difficulty as well. In my opinion the map is too dragged out currently as it takes quite a while to get from one end to other and this way the monsters that spawn on the other end of the map do not notice you until you get close which kind of makes the map slower than it should be. I tried the map out in local 2 player mode, moved one character to one end of the map and the other to the opposite end and one player disappeared off the map quite quickly which is one of the main reasons why me and my friend get killed playing the campaign together locally, so all in all great map and idea, but I think you should make it smaller to increase the pacing and playability of the map!

Heretic

• Castle Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 03:25:51 PM »
I agree, kiting is kinda a part of HW and is really unavoidable. A good example is the ravens on my game are far faster than every player, yet they can still 'kite' because their attack animation is more than a single frame, which mens they have to stop to attack, and the attack doesnt resolve until the final frame is shown - so you will always be able to move away from the mob before it can melee you.

RedRookLord

• Dungeon Crafter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 03:37:02 PM »
That sounds like a good idea. So, now I have a short list of things for the next update...

1: Make multiplayer more challenging
2: Make end game more challenging and less of a lag fest
3: Make the arena smaller

I actually thought the arena was fine in the editor. The original arena was about the same size, but felt the right size. Then I open it up a bit and suddenly it's really big. Man, map design is tedious.

It may take time to put out the next patch. I'm currently figuring out modding, I have 4 hammerwatch projects I'm working on at the same time, I'm creating 2 indie games by myself in real life, and I'm learning to use unity so I can move on to 3d indie titles. So there's a lot of stuff I have to do. But expect barrel frenzy to get revamped, get ready for a new dungeon map, and get ready for another eye of the storm patch.

Heretic

• Castle Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 04:06:57 PM »
It may take time to put out the next patch. I'm currently figuring out modding, I have 4 hammerwatch projects I'm working on at the same time, I'm creating 2 indie games by myself in real life, and I'm learning to use unity so I can move on to 3d indie titles. So there's a lot of stuff I have to do. But expect barrel frenzy to get revamped, get ready for a new dungeon map, and get ready for another eye of the storm patch.

You should consider building dungeons for Ravenwatch :P

RedRookLord

• Dungeon Crafter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 04:12:15 PM »
Is this an invitation?

If so, then sure. It could be a lot of fun.

Heretic

• Castle Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 04:18:59 PM »
I've asked in my video and thread for any help I can get! :) The reason why is I am mostly drawing assets right now, and have not begun the level design at all yet. With someone building the dungeons they will help progress the game to release faster, and they will be able to 'request' assets they may need or want or that I haven't considered because I'm tunnel visioned so badly on drawing walls :D

Send me a PM if you're interested!