Author Topic: Beta Patch Notes for 1.21 (January 2014)  (Read 12653 times)

Myran

• Developer
    • View Profile
Beta Patch Notes for 1.21 (January 2014)
« on: January 23, 2014, 05:59:46 PM »
So we've been working on a patch to stabilize the game on Mac and Linux, and fix other bugs. Since this patch contains significant changes to some of our base technology we are releasing it right now as a beta version just so we can get people to try it out and make sure we don't break anything.
If you are making a level, I'd advice you to back it up just to be sure.

To enable this patch right-click Hammerwatch in your Steam library and pick properties, then go in to the Betas tab and enter the code "hmw-beta-121", this should enable the beta_1.21 from the drop down list. Just select it and verify the integrity of game cache to force Steam to download the update.

Misc:
  • Flower enemy graphics have been changed and they no longer blog the player when dead
  • Player progress should now be properly saved

Technical:
  • Game controllers should now work on Mac
  • Stabilized the game on Mac and Linux by replacing OpenTK with SDL2
  • Mac and Linux users no longer need to have Mono installed to play the game (editor still needs it though)

Editor:
  • Prefabs can now be spawned from scripts
  • Damage areas can now do 0 damage and apply buffs
  • Editor can now create and load prefabs via the regular Save/Load dialogs

ducketh

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Re: Beta Patch Notes for 1.21 (January 2014)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 01:18:19 AM »
First off, I really like the ability to use non-Xbox gamepads in the new patch. However, gamepad mapping doesn't seem to work on Linux. Clicking on controller select for each character causes a crash. I got around this by editing the settings .xml to manually set each player's gamepad (default was to set all to 0). I had another crash attempting to bind a key with an emulated xbox gamepad (via xboxdrv), but that setup is no longer necessary with the switch to SDL2, so this probably doesn't matter. Additionally, with the "Detect as Xbox gamepad" option checked, there is a constant left input seen (this is with two standard X360 gamepads and a Logitech F310 in Xinput mode). These controllers still work fine without the option checked, though. Finally, when I did fix the controller settings, the controller toggle on the settings menu began to work, but only once -- I could toggle controller0 to controller1, but a further click caused a crash.

Hope this information is helpful. I tried to read the crash logs but they seemed to reference mono in some way -- I'm guessing that isn't useful.

Myran

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 01:40:09 AM »
Alright, thank you for that information, I'll look in to the gamepads on Linux more. You're probably right that the crash logs won't help if they weren't written to our own error.txt file, buit hopefully I'll be able to reproduce them.

ducketh

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 05:30:23 PM »
Something else I've found: The "reset" button on the bindings screen sets all the bindings to... Something which is certainly not what the default was before. I don't think this was intentional? (Although, on the subject of default bindings, L3/click left joystick is a terrible binding for strafe -- it's nearly impossible to move the joystick while holding it in)

Mumpitz

• Evil Force
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 06:39:56 PM »
Am i the only one having trouble starting the debug-build for testing my editor levels?
I also posted in the bug report section: Broken Beta Debug-Build (1.21 r1)?
greetings

Mumpitz

Myran

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 06:04:09 PM »
Am i the only one having trouble starting the debug-build for testing my editor levels?
I also posted in the bug report section: Broken Beta Debug-Build (1.21 r1)?
You are not the only one, no. I'll release an updated beta as soon as I can with this (and some other stuff) fixed.

Myran

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 10:50:50 PM »
The beta is now updated with:
  • Debug build no longer instantly crashes
  • A controller can no longer be assigned to multiple players
  • Increased controller deadzone
  • Now using SDL_GameController when possible

ducketh

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 11:31:45 PM »
Everything's working great! One oddity, though: The right stick on my Xbox controllers seems to be mapped to movement, but inverted. This isn't the case for my DInput controllers. This isn't really important since it doesn't affect gameplay as long as you're not touching that stick, it's just weird.

Myran

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 04:50:28 PM »
Okay, I updated it again now, hopefully this is the final one before I set it to public:
  • Right analog stick no longer inverted
  • Editor example folder restored
  • Doodads now have adjustable shadow length
  • Levels now have globally adjustable shadow length

Heres an example of changing the shadow length on a doodad:
Code: [Select]
<polygon collision="false" shadow="true" shadow-length="2">
<point>0 0</point>
<point>16 0</point>
<point>16 16</point>
<point>0 16</point>
</polygon>
The shadow-length attribute is a multiplier, so 2 means twice as long, 0.5 would be half as long. To change it in the entire level a similar attribute was added to the lighting layer in the editor.

FFSnipe

• Maze Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 05:29:19 PM »
Think I have a bit of a problem. I updated it to 1.21 beta, and now the editor is completely broke. (screen below). I opened the editor via steam library, and the folder itself where the exe is located, same issue. also, ALL of the maps open like this. this is the TEST level in the EXAMPLE folder. my custom maps are exactly the same.

Spoils to the victor...

Myran

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 05:35:24 PM »
Woah, okay..  does the game look right? And can you try toggling stuff on and off from the Show menu? And try turning off lighting (Shift-F6)

FFSnipe

• Maze Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 05:55:25 PM »
the game ran fine when i tried. i also turned off layers one by one. nothing worked. all the tilesets, doodads etc were just dark red squares. for the doodads, it seemed to be where the collisions were and not the graphics themselves. for the tilesets, it was the graphics. i was so confused. i thought maybe it screwed up because i have custom graphics and xml files in my custom levels, which is why i tried the example map from you guys. still the same thing.

:( im sorry if i am making more puzzling work for you Myran.
Spoils to the victor...

Mumpitz

• Evil Force
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 08:02:17 PM »
For me the Editor looks good, but the debug-release wont load any levels. I updated the other thread.
greetings

Mumpitz

Gimlao

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 04:30:52 PM »
Hey, no more D-Pad with the XBox 360 USB Controller in game ? Oo...

It's not important for menus, since it's easier with the mouse, but it was nice in game...

By the way, can we now see if another player is strafing ?...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 04:51:21 PM by Gimlao »

Myran

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 05:25:03 PM »
Hey, no more D-Pad with the XBox 360 USB Controller in game ? Oo...

It's not important for menus, since it's easier with the mouse, but it was nice in game...

By the way, can we now see if another player is strafing ?...
Ah, right. I'll fix the D-Pad.

I didn't want to change the netcode since that would make 1.2 and 1.21 beta incompatible when playing multiplayers, so no, that hasn't been fixed.