Author Topic: [Campaign] [WIP] Eye of the Beholder  (Read 7314 times)

Hal9000

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
[Campaign] [WIP] Eye of the Beholder
« on: October 26, 2014, 07:07:42 PM »

Eye of the Beholder, the classic 1991 dungeon crawler from Westwood Studios returns again... In a Hammerwatch campaign form!

So, what's the deal?

BETA 1.0 FEATURES:

- First section of the game (The Sewers), featuring 3 levels + 1 secret level
- 4 new enemies (Kobold, Zombie, Gnoll and Kuo-Toa) + 1 secret enemy

FINAL VERSION FEATURES:

- The original campaing with 12 levels + 4 secret levels
- 16 new enemies

FAQ:

Q: So, does this campaign stay true to the original source material?
A: Well, that's my intention. I will do my best to achieve it. Take a look at this pic. That's level 3, compare it to the original level 3 map layout.

Q: Are all your assets original?
A: No. Wallsets are from Dan Huling, zombie is a "re-skin" of original hammerwatch mummy_elite, Kuo-Toa is ripped from Bomberman (a 4 direction sprite, my brother Khrusayder made the rest from scratch). Kobold and gnoll are the only 100% original made by Khrusayder and edited by me. Some sound effects like doors are ripped directly from the original game.

Q: Did the original EotB feature some sort of music?
A: Yes, only on SNES and SEGACD version. But trust me, they're painful to listen at. For soundtrack I use some random dungeon music compilation I found on youtube. If you know a more suitable music, write down here.

Please, play and share my campaing like crazy and post your feedback here. My first impression is: this campaign is very easy, with too much money, power-ups and weak enemies. I need a second opinion, your opinion.

DOWNLOAD HERE
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 07:13:28 PM by Hal9000 »

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
Re: [Campaign] [WIP] Eye of the Beholder
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 02:23:36 PM »
Ok, so me and a friend played the level. It's nice, but a few things that could make it better for sure, so I'll start with them:

# It got a bit dull cause it was so damn easy and the levels felt too large because of it.
# The music, really need to change that, gets depressing and monotonous after a while.
# Need to work out a better system to tell the player where he his, cause we got really confused after a while =)
# We never found the offense vendor, we found a hole you could "shoot into" but we never found were the actual vendor was =(
# Found a dagger, but not what to do with it =)

Ok, the good things

# Always nice with new themes and this looked really nice!
# Same goes with new enemies, love the gore
# The confusion areas are really fun to be honest, me and my friend "backed" through several, it feels so different having to do that =)
# Some arrow traps too, where you really have to think so you don't get hit by multiple arrows and such

Some things that you really could do more with

There was some doors or at least one that you did some lockpicking thing at, you could do so that you need to find a lockpick to be able to open those doors and you could also do some kind of "mini game" that you need to complete there, like, move over some icons on the ground w/e

Overall, I think you should reduce or add to, all these corridors, some areas where you do something else, like have some more bosses and traps etc

Hal9000

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 04:15:07 PM »
It got a bit dull cause it was so damn easy and the levels felt too large because of it.

Yes, that was my impression too. It's hard to transform a first person dungeon crawler where you are supposed to get lost many times like EotB to a Gauntlet-like game. I need to work more on that matter.

The music, really need to change that, gets depressing and monotonous after a while.

Absolutely, I need to find a good music theme ASAP.

We never found the offense vendor, we found a hole you could "shoot into" but we never found were the actual vendor was =(

My fault, sorry. That hole was marked with the "offense sign" only for suggesting the players that they must shoot it to destroy east wall.

Found a dagger, but not what to do with it =)

SPOILER ALERT!!! Dagger is for opening a teleporter on level 7 (not done yet, obviously) :)

Ndimaroad

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 06:05:36 AM »
I saw it, I want to eat it.