Author Topic: Everything is red?  (Read 19581 times)

InfinitySquirrel

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Everything is red?
« on: February 22, 2014, 09:18:01 PM »
Hi, I posted this in the steam forums as well but have not gotten a response yet. When I try to place a tile/doodad/light/character/whatever in the editor it shows up as solid red. When I try to test the level the tiles and objects show up with their correct textures, but in the editor it is solid red. This makes it virtually impossible to create a good map as I cannot tell where objects are due to everything being the same color. Also, when right clicking on a tile/object from selection menu, I see an option "open file". When I click this hammerwatch gives an error saying it cannot find the file. Am I just missing the textures? How do I fix this? Any help is appreciated as I have not gotten a response on steam forums for 4 days.
Photo is attached if needed.

Myran

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Everything is red?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 10:52:31 PM »
Hey, sorry about not responding on the Steam forums yet. This is a pretty rare bug it seems (although it's hard to know since we don't know how many people really start the editor), so I don't have a real fix yet. Have you updated your video card drivers? It would help a lot if you could send me your dxdiag info (see http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/ on how to get it), and also the game.log file from the game directory. Please either post them here, or if you want them to be private (the dxdiag does contain some info about your system) you can email them to error@hammerwatch.com

Until I can find a fix for this I would recommend downgrading to version 1.2 by right-clicking Hammerwatch in your Steam library and pick properties, then go in to the Betas tab and enter the code "OldVersion120", this should enable the old_1.2 from the drop down list. Just select it and verify the integrity of game cache to force Steam to download the update. The old version is compatible with the new one so you can still player multiplayer with people who has the new version and all that.

InfinitySquirrel

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 12:25:11 AM »
Thank you for responding, going back to 1.2 lets me see different colors in the editor. I have not my updated video card drivers recently, and to be honest I am not really sure if I know how to... I have tried in the past but always ran in to problems, mainly the update checker either not working at all or not recognizing what I have. I wouldn't think I had anything besides default for this type of system, but it doesn't like it. I should probably look into being able to determine if I need an update at some point, but it hasn't affected many games in major ways. I went ahead and sent my dxdiag info anyways, maybe I can get some help from there.

FFSnipe

• Maze Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 03:33:26 AM »
this happened to me as well when i upgraded. actually we seem to be the only ones with this problem. I have since dropped to 1.2 BUT my laptop failed so i am firing up my old XP rig. what PC are you running? version of windows?

I will check to see if it is an issue with this one as well btw
Spoils to the victor...

InfinitySquirrel

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 12:10:32 AM »
Currently running Windows 7.

FFSnipe

• Maze Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 08:00:48 PM »
thats exactly what OS i was using. I was on a laptop before it died on me. It works fine now as I am using XP pro. Not sure if it is a windows 7 thing... what graphics do you have? onboard or vid card?
Spoils to the victor...

Prem

• Handler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 11:00:35 PM »
I'm running windows 7 64 bit and it works fine for me.
Too legit to quit.

Myran

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 05:34:24 PM »
So the reason this happens is because something in the editor makes Intel cards only manage to create a OpenGL 1.0 context and so a bunch of new-ish features we use fail. I'm not yet sure why this is only a problem in the editor and not in the game itself.

bewt

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 11:55:22 PM »
My friend had this problem and was able to fix it by fiddling with his nVidia settings. I have an AMD so I don't know which exact settings he used. I'll see if I can get him to help.

Like Myran said above, there has to be a setting you can manually enable regarding OpenGL.

Retodon8

• Sheep happens!
    • View Profile
    • Retodon8 @ Raptr
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 10:35:18 PM »
Well, I'm having the same issue.
Is there any progress on solving this, or first figuring out exactly what the problem is?
Are you still interested in people's dxdiag info, or is that part clear already?
Anything else I can do to help?

bewt, did your friend tell you which setting(s) he changed?

mrepic13

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 03:09:13 AM »
I have the same problem.  Is there a fix for it yet other than downgrading?

Devesa

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 01:10:14 AM »
I have discovered that by changing the "preferred graphics processor" setting from "Integrated Graphics" to "High-Performance NVIDIA Processor" for the HammerEditor in the NVIDIA Control Panel fixed the problem for me. I did have to add the HammerEditor to the programs list before I could change the setting.

I would hazard a guess that this would be similar for other processors.

DivinityArcane

• wat
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 05:47:51 AM »
So the reason this happens is because something in the editor makes Intel cards only manage to create a OpenGL 1.0 context and so a bunch of new-ish features we use fail. I'm not yet sure why this is only a problem in the editor and not in the game itself.

It's a problem with OpenTK, which the editor uses. As I stated in another thread, a line needs to be added to the editor to call Gl.ReloadFunctions();

EDIT: Wow, this topic got zombied a bit.. lol
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 05:52:56 AM by DivinityArcane »

arin12

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 01:14:12 AM »
A little thread necromancy because I, as well, am having this problem with the editor and the other post indicated that the devs would have to make the change to OpenTK for it to work for me.

So someone please change that line of code. ;) Thanks!

robyhr

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 08:05:43 PM »
I have the same problem here (DELL notebook with ATI HD8670M and Intel GMA integrated), can we get a fix please?

Thanks

EDIT: Solved the problem by downloading CCC and under Switchable Graphics selecting option to run the HammerEditor in Maximum Performance mode, to force it to run editor with ATI card, and not Intel, and it works!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 09:23:10 PM by robyhr »