Author Topic: [Campaign] Pirate's Cove  (Read 25857 times)

Amran

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
[Campaign] Pirate's Cove
« on: April 29, 2014, 04:18:07 AM »
"A rumor of wealth hidden deep in the pirate cove has drawn you to another adventure. Collect all the cursed treasure, and escape with your lives!"

This is a release version of the level, with the intention to iron out any more bugs or balance issues that might still pop up. Any feedback would be great!
There's a new version of the level uploaded now. New areas, secrets, and adjustments!

Steam Workshop

ModDB Download
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 01:38:08 AM by Amran »

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
Re: [Campaign] Pirate's Cove - Beta
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 07:58:19 AM »
Wow!
This was really nice, the best custom level I played to date, for several reasons, both gameplay and graphics. I played right now as a Wz, but I will be trying the other 4 classes on this level. Short and sweet.

It connects to the regular campaign features very well, by using several already used systems, like the tutorial text system, colored buttons and spikes, glasswalks etc, but it also adds and enhances those, like the additional shovel feature.
The level design is very solid, I highly enjoyed playing through this, didn't get bored and/or lost at any moment really, some times I looked at the map, but you did a really good job reconnecting paths and opened shortcuts as you got further.
Graphics looks great, I love that instead of going all custom assets, you focused on solid construction and added smaller features like the birds, the little boat the merged theme_a and theme_f and of course the ship. Also, the light is very well put together, you are using some slight white add-lights as fog simulation which I like, floor tiling holds the same quality as the rest, a good mix of the two themes that fits well together color-vise and all.

This is kinda what I wanted to see in a custom level and also a very good start, since it assets-vise probably was pretty easy to make and you could focus on the gameplay instead. You probably modded other games before this right?

I didn't really find a lot of errors here, an idea is to clear the minimap from the treasure icon once looted, also the collision of the mast holder is kinda annoying.

Btw, the shovel feature, I had an idea to use a shovel "quest" in the desert campaign, to open up new paths, maybe I can't do that any more now =) But I have a frying pan at least!

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 09:06:22 AM »
I forgot to mention, to make the minimap look better and not so damn confusing when it comes to where you can and can't walk. Use the props called black_ or water_ they will add a color to the minimap that is just water, so you will see that more clearly.

It's annoying to work with the water_ prop, since it's transparent in the world but no on the minimap, so it's something you want to do when you feel you don't need to change the layout that much, when it comes to water. We can't have minimap details that is not present in the world, so this is currently the best solution I'm afraid.

Heretic

• Castle Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 12:45:51 PM »
What an awesome level! The seagulls are great and the boss fight was very entertaining. You put some true talent into this - do you have any plans to make a full campaign or anything like that?

Amran

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 03:21:21 PM »
Wow!
This was really nice, the best custom level I played to date, for several reasons, both gameplay and graphics. I played right now as a Wz, but I will be trying the other 4 classes on this level. Short and sweet.

It connects to the regular campaign features very well, by using several already used systems, like the tutorial text system, colored buttons and spikes, glasswalks etc, but it also adds and enhances those, like the additional shovel feature.
The level design is very solid, I highly enjoyed playing through this, didn't get bored and/or lost at any moment really, some times I looked at the map, but you did a really good job reconnecting paths and opened shortcuts as you got further.
Graphics looks great, I love that instead of going all custom assets, you focused on solid construction and added smaller features like the birds, the little boat the merged theme_a and theme_f and of course the ship. Also, the light is very well put together, you are using some slight white add-lights as fog simulation which I like, floor tiling holds the same quality as the rest, a good mix of the two themes that fits well together color-vise and all.

This is kinda what I wanted to see in a custom level and also a very good start, since it assets-vise probably was pretty easy to make and you could focus on the gameplay instead. You probably modded other games before this right?

I didn't really find a lot of errors here, an idea is to clear the minimap from the treasure icon once looted, also the collision of the mast holder is kinda annoying.

Btw, the shovel feature, I had an idea to use a shovel "quest" in the desert campaign, to open up new paths, maybe I can't do that any more now =) But I have a frying pan at least!

Thank you for the feedback, it means a lot coming from a designer of the original game! I really enjoyed the look of both theme_a and theme_f, and thought it might be fun to mix the two into something slightly different. The handful of new sprites were made by Seylyn and myself, and were to help add the little touches to this combination.

Having the water display on the minimap was already on the to-do list, something I'll be sure to get into the next release. Also good point on the treasure marker, and not the first complaint I've had about the 'masts'. I'll get these changed as well.

Certainly not the first content I've done for a game! I'm really looking forward to the campaign you're working on as well (it was neat to see that pop up on MapCore even). Would be interesting to see a shovel mechanic appear there too. :)

Drachenei

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 09:28:14 PM »
Hye,I think you uploaded the wrong map ist the survival map.Please fix it.

Amran

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 02:18:20 AM »
What an awesome level! The seagulls are great and the boss fight was very entertaining. You put some true talent into this - do you have any plans to make a full campaign or anything like that?
Thank you, glad you enjoyed it! I currently don't have any plans for a full campaign, but we'll see what happens. :)

Hye,I think you uploaded the wrong map ist the survival map.Please fix it.
Might have renamed the wrong file by accident, it should be the correct map now. Thanks for letting me know!

MadMan

• Faggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 07:33:11 AM »
I liked it.

Amran

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Re: [Campaign] Pirate's Cove
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 02:16:38 AM »
The recent Hammerwatch patch introducing Workshop support brought me back to look at this again. I've updated the level to correct some visual glitches that had been found since the original release.

I'm also curious if others would like to see more done with this map in the future. New areas? Additional secrets? Changes to the balance or pacing? If anyone has some ideas, be sure to let me know!

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 12:52:03 PM »
What I think you should do, is use the new HUD system to add the showel to the hud when you found it. I'm gonna write a small tutorial on how to do this a bit later.

And, it's nice that it's in the Workshop, so more people can play this level!

Amran

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 03:38:30 AM »
What I think you should do, is use the new HUD system to add the showel to the hud when you found it. I'm gonna write a small tutorial on how to do this a bit later.

And, it's nice that it's in the Workshop, so more people can play this level!

That would be great for consistency. I'll be checking out the sample you posted later for certain!

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 05:50:34 PM »
You know what you can do, use the playGib entity and play a set of dirt that scatters when you dig.

Look at the gib_npc, should be a good one, just change the colors and so into earth or sand.

Amran

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 01:37:30 AM »
You know what you can do, use the playGib entity and play a set of dirt that scatters when you dig.

Look at the gib_npc, should be a good one, just change the colors and so into earth or sand.

Added this in as well now, thanks. :)

There's a new version of the level uploaded. New areas, secrets, and other adjustments!

shiftyBOT

• KlokWorkz main artist and level designer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 06:11:36 PM »
amazing work!
(I wish I had skills like you and the other custom mappers):P

It would be cool if you modified the character spritesheets to have piratehats cutlasses flintlocks? parrots etc :D
and the enemys to :P
(I want to fight a pirtate skelleton!)

RedRookLord

• Dungeon Crafter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 03:23:20 AM »
Pretty good, I like the boss fight at the end. The only thing I can think of that would make it even sweeter is just to simply add more, don't change anything. Custom pirate enemies, more areas, the ability to get to the higher tier spells, all that would make it better. Good map.