Author Topic: Basic Editor Tutorial - Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Editor  (Read 55522 times)

Dai Tou Zai

• Definitely Not Blitzcrank
    • View Profile
Hmm, i cant figure out how speech works, could you make a tutorial on that?
No i'm not blitzcrank, stop asking me.

Kashlavor

• Spike Dodger.
    • View Profile
Might be able to do a quick thing on that later.  What I'd reccomend first is to pull apart an existing map which has it, like the hub area of the new campaign.

To do that find the .hwm file in Hammerwatch/levels/ and copy it into the editor/ folder.  In this case copy campaign2.hwm into the editor/ folder.  After that click on the address bar of the editor/ folder, the whole C:/program files......editor/ all that, and copy it.  Next open up the command prompt for windows, the little black box thing.  This can be done by hitting start andtyping in "cmd" and hitting enter, or by finding its icon.

With the command prompt open type in

Code: [Select]
cd "

Then right click on the command prompt, hit paste, and then put another quote mark, so it ends up looking like

cd "C:/...something something...editor/"

Then hit enter, this takes the command prompt to your editor folder, then we can use the ResourceExtractor to unpack the campaign, as such

ResourceExtractor map campaign2.hwm

After this you should have a new folder called campaign2/, feel free to dig through the levels and learn from how the real pros did it.
Starting work on the Lair of the Archnecromantrix, a Hammerwatch campaign!

Dai Tou Zai

• View Profile
My extractor doesn't work at all for some reason, i actually had to have the guy who made pirates cove send me just the files so i can see what he did on one part.

Kashlavor

• Spike Dodger.
    • View Profile
Do you use windows?

Dai Tou Zai

• View Profile
Do you use windows?
Yeah i use windows 7

it does nothing for me when i drag and drop a complied map into it, and it wont let me type on it either, it just looks black for a few seconds then disappears.

Phantom

• Dungeoneer
    • View Profile
Do you use windows?
Yeah i use windows 7

it does nothing for me when i drag and drop a complied map into it, and it wont let me type on it either, it just looks black for a few seconds then disappears.

That's not how the extractor works. If you put the assets.bin in the editor folder and run the resourcextractor.exe, you'll see the extrator run for a with that black screen then it'll disappear and extract the whole assets.bin which is default. If you want to extract .hwm files, you can try making a shortcut of the ResourceExtractor.exe . Put whatever .hwm compiled maps inside your editor folder, then right click your shortcut.

Where it says Target, at the end of it, put map campaign.hwm

I used this example for the campaign. You can use whatever .hwm files you want but replace the campaign.hwm with whatever .hwm file you are using.

I attached 2 images below to show you how it works.

Just change the campaign.hwm part with whatever map you're trying to use and make sure it's inside the editor folder too.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 07:45:17 AM by Phantom »

Kashlavor

• Spike Dodger.
    • View Profile
Phantom is also quite right.  Your extractor should work but you'll have to follow either one of the two methods.

Dai Tou Zai

• View Profile
Oh okay i got it, thank you guys so very much i really do appreciate the help.

FYI this is like the easiest way to do it

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 10:10:31 AM by Dai Tou Zai »

J-man

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
I'm having trouble with the lighting, as whenever I change the lighting nothing happens, the background stays black and anything I place are red pixels, no matter what I do to change the lighting it still stays the exact same colors, please help I've tried fixing it but nothing works  :'(

law_4x

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Re: Basic Editor Tutorial - Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Editor
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2016, 11:48:14 AM »
Creative Workshop I downloaded a map, XXX.hwm.
How to open his editor I do I want to modify, or to see or hide the bodies.

:) :) :)