Author Topic: [CAMPAIGN] Dingovania - Update April 6, 2017  (Read 87041 times)

dingoZero

• Dingovania
    • View Profile
Re: [CAMPAIGN] Dingovania - Update July 3rd 2014
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 08:57:18 PM »
Sorry for not giving any updates recently.

We've been busy playing other games.

Here's a screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/FWYOcEc.png

Dai Tou Zai

• Definitely Not Blitzcrank
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 09:24:20 PM »
In all honesty this campaign is the one i'm most excited about.
No i'm not blitzcrank, stop asking me.

dingoZero

• Dingovania
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 10:10:10 PM »
In all honesty this campaign is the one i'm most excited about.

Trust me, I can't wait to bring it to you.

Most of our team has finals this week. Life is pretty hectic right now, but we're squeezing in as much work as we can. We don't want to commit to a release date quite yet. But soon we'll be giving you all more details about our campaign.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 10:13:08 PM by dingoZero »

ChrisN

• Crackshell Game artist
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2014, 11:18:30 PM »
Looks great!

Hope to be able to play this! :D

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2014, 12:51:17 AM »
That looks great Dingo, I have a suggestion though, remove the last pixel row on the track, I think you might find it to look better having the metal above the wood, instead of having the wood pass right through it!

Heretic

• Castle Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2014, 03:10:52 AM »
It's confusing - the planks are supposed to be wood and the rails metal because the cart runs along the metal rails (the wood planks keep them a set distance apart and can be easily replaced over time, etc.)

Great artwork all around tho, can't wait to see it!

dingoZero

• Dingovania
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2014, 09:59:37 PM »
The carts don't have wheels.

The metal parts of the rails are the wheels.

http://gyazo.com/e383d5a4ef5df280363a9475cb1df122

The rustic peoples of Dingovania aren't very smart.

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2014, 10:30:40 PM »
Makes much more sense!

Heretic

• Castle Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2014, 11:02:31 PM »
Wow that's awesome - never would have thought of that! When might we get to see more? :D

dingoZero

• Dingovania
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2014, 12:35:49 AM »
We're working on a proper trailer.

Along with that we'll release some solid information. We're still deciding if we want to finish certain features or focus on polishing what we have. Once all of this is set in stone we'll know exactly what to advertise. (I don't want to tell you about something we decide to cut). I don't believe in releasing it unfinished. However, my problem is that I am very picky about my level design. For me I don't think I will ever really finish because I will always see room to improve. I've probably completely scrapped one level three times now. Elements have remained the same, but the layout and design is different.

Partly this is because I discover some new trick that I can do with scripts to make something cool happen. An example of this is the "quest system" which you added. I was then given the ability to add interesting ways to progress through a level without relying on "kill this thing that's in the way" or "get the key." Another example is prefabs. I've discovered some really cool ways to use prefabs. It allows for some interesting mechanics that I'm excited about sharing.

All in all, our design philosophy for this campaign is that you aren't required to complete everything to progress, but you will want to. The main path of the campaign will honestly be rather straightforward, but the side paths are what make it interesting. Essentially, maximizing your character's potential will require exploration, and we want you to explore what we've created.

Another thing is that we're trying to create art that fits with the original Hammerwatch art. I am not the main artist, I'm really good at retouching something to make it look how I want it to look but I can't really do things from scratch (although the cart rails are mine). Our main artist is really picky too. My saturation is turned up on my screen, so my reds look orange to him. It's quite comical.

After writing this, I've determined that I can confirm a few things:
  • A main story which unfolds over the length of the campaign.
  • Side stories which are optional but give good rewards.
  • Short side quests which are fun and give smaller rewards.
  • An explorable overworld which links the rest of the levels of the campaign.
  • Full original sound track.
  • Art which is aimed to fit with the vanilla artwork.

I don't really want to go into details because of spoilers, but both of the videos and the screenshot I've posted show a few of our levels. All in all, we should be able to agree on a real release date by the end of the month.

I should really get back to studying.  ;)

ChrisN

• Crackshell Game artist
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2014, 10:03:04 AM »
"real release date by the end of the month."

It feels almost like a Christmas gift! Hope you guys will be able to release it! :D

I am excited to see what kind of quests there is coming :)

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2014, 11:14:50 AM »
Another thing is that we're trying to create art that fits with the original Hammerwatch art. I am not the main artist, I'm really good at retouching something to make it look how I want it to look but I can't really do things from scratch (although the cart rails are mine). Our main artist is really picky too. My saturation is turned up on my screen, so my reds look orange to him. It's quite comical.

Good philosophy! Art takes time, if you have good guidelines it should go faster.
Who's your artist?

dingoZero

• Dingovania
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2014, 01:22:06 PM »
"real release date by the end of the month."

I meant this to mean that we'll agree on when we want to shoot for a release. You'll know what date we want to release by the end of the month. Sorry for ambiguity.

Good philosophy! Art takes time, if you have good guidelines it should go faster.
Who's your artist?

I don't think any of them have forum accounts. As it stands we have two real art people. One of them, my partner in design, does general artistic design and is head of what stuff looks and feels like. The other guy just draws things in photoshop slowly while he reddits. I think it's harder to draw something if you don't know how it's supposed to function in game. Our music guy has even drawn some things.

I'm making this sound like we're professionals or something. In actuality, we're just college students who work on this in spare time. Occasionally we'll bring our machines to one place and work on it together in the same room for a few days. It's becoming harder to do that. We're moving to different places so we want to get this done soon.

nutria

• super paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2014, 09:02:43 PM »
tomorrow is christmas.... so the map :o

we want try it :)

dingoZero

• Dingovania
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2015, 10:01:46 PM »