Author Topic: Custom resources not loading / Testing error  (Read 3429 times)

Ramond

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Custom resources not loading / Testing error
« on: June 28, 2014, 11:50:55 AM »
Hello Hammerwatch community, hello Hipshot. I've been interested in this game for a few months and thanks to the recent Steam sale I was able to finally get my hands on it.  ;)

I've been trying myself at the editor as well and am currently trying to create a little campaign to get into HammerEditor a little. I've however already run into some problems.

First off: I have two different locations I play the game/use the editor at. When using a notebook (with Windows 7), I followed the instructions on the Wiki on setting up a new campaign, extracting the resources and everything worked fine. I can edit the levels very fine, playtesting from the editor works flawlessly, I tried to include some custom actors and music and there's no problem with that.
Now, on a desktop (with Windows XP), while the game runs fine, I've run into trouble with the editor. I followed the exact same steps as I did on the notebook (though I must admit I first copied over my campaign folder before I extracted the resources.) It won't load custom objects (actors, music), and trying to playtest from the editor just gives me an error (whereupon I can choose to just continue, ignoring the error, or quit the program).
What I've tried so far, to no avail:
  • Reinstalling the game.
  • Ctrl+R to reload the resources after I placed them, plus several Editor restarts.
  • Copying the whole Hammerwatch folder from Steam to a completely different location and starting the Editor from there.
  • Most notably, I cannot even playtest the example level from the Editor. Furthermore, the example_tick actor won't show up in the character tab, not even after reloading the resources. (Could missing custom objects cause the playtest not to work?)
  • After reinstalling, I extracted the assets.bin on this desktop before I added anything custom. (But for some weird reason, dragging the assets.bin file onto ResourceExtractor never worked, but when I simply ran ResourceExtractor, it extracted all the files.)
  • I've searched this forum section for similar problems and googled for solutions as well, but no suggestion I've found so far changed anything at my end.
I'm just a little desperate here because it just doesn't make sense for it not to work and I've tried to isolate the cause for this for a while now. If you guys maybe notice something I've forgot, I'd be grateful.

Thanks in advance!

Ramond
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 11:54:36 AM by Ramond »

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Custom resources not loading / Testing error
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 12:37:23 PM »
Hi,

Hmm hmm, strange... it SHOULD work the same, but I haven't used the editor in XP for a good while now, can you post the campaign you are having issues with and I'll see about testing this on my old laptop, which has XP.

Is this the steam version or the DRM-free one (they are "the same" anyway)?

Ramond

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Re: Custom resources not loading / Testing error
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 02:15:11 PM »
I doubt my specific campaign has anything to do with it, seeing as even after a fresh reinstall (and not adding or editing anything at all after that) the included example level fails to playtest and won't load the custom tick actor even after Ctrl+R (to avoid further possible misunderstandings, I'm sure the editor does reload the resources, as there's a bit of a lag after using the shortcut, plus I also tried clicking the command from the Edit menu).
I think trying just the example level on XP would suffice, since I didn't really do much more in my campaign than just add an actor and one music track (and a few simple scripts), there's no real level design yet.
By the way; I've also tried putting the custom actor (.png and .xml files) into the main actors directory (inside the editor folder); the editor still won't load it.

I got the game quite recently on Steam (maybe a week ago), so I guess it should be the newest version.

PS. I'm quite surprised at how well the editor works, quite user-friendly and I haven't encountered a bug so far. ;) (Even with scripting.)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 02:41:51 PM by Ramond »