Author Topic: Game plays sound, but no video or window  (Read 15384 times)

Ariskava

• Cleanse. Purge. DERP.
    • View Profile
Game plays sound, but no video or window
« on: July 03, 2014, 12:48:23 AM »
I start the game (Both via steam and the EXE) and only get the title screen music. There is no window, no icon in the task bar, and hammerwatch does not appear in the applications tab of windows task manager, it however does appear in the Processes tab of task manager.

I have tried running the installers in the _CommonRedist folder, vcredist says there is a newer version on my PC, OpenAL says done literately as soon as I hit install, and Dot net also says newer version on my PC. I have tried downloading the OpenAL32.dll and that did nothing, and I have tried making a config.xml and messing with the settings with no result. I have also tried reinstalling the game from scratch. I also confirmed that my graphics drivers are up to date.

Also I would like to note that the game did work when I played it a while back (5-6 months ago I believe), however I have reformatted my PC since then.

Speccy info- http://speccy.piriform.com/results/XnIJcNzf1RMiSsmhK7jEqiT

DivinityArcane

• wat
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART profile
Re: Game plays sound, but no video or window
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 03:28:16 AM »
Hi,

I looked at the Speccy output, and it looks like your graphics drivers are up to date. Can you check error.txt and game.log from the Hammerwatch folder?

Ariskava

• Cleanse. Purge. DERP.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 04:38:40 AM »
Hi,

I looked at the Speccy output, and it looks like your graphics drivers are up to date. Can you check error.txt and game.log from the Hammerwatch folder?

I'll copy the game.log here, but there is no error.txt, probably because the game doesn't crash, I have to end process in task manager to close it.

Game.log-
Game 1.23
WorkingDirectory set to: C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Hammerwatch
Initializing game
ARPGGame()
Window icon set
OGL:
Starting game
Initialize achievments, Steam and master server
Loading config settings
Loading controllers
Initialize sound
Sound device: Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)
Initialize renderers
WorldDrawer: Lights not supported
GLState: InvalidOperation
Initialize physics
Start game
Loading resources
Resource error: actors/tower_block_frost_razed.xml: Could not find file: C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/common/Hammerwatch/assets/actors/tower_block_frost.png
Resource error: actors/tower_block_frost_razed.xml: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Resource error: actors/tower_block_frost_razed.xml: Couldn't load texture specified in sprite
Resource error: actors/tower_block_frost_razed.xml: No sprite specified in doodad
Resource error: actors/boss_dragon/fireball_trap.xml: Texture sizes should be powers of two
Resource error: actors/spawners/doomspawn_1_razed.xml: 'ao' is a duplicate attribute name. Line 1, position 39.
Resource error: doodads/generic/trap_stalactite.xml: All doodad transitions must have existing from and to states
Resource error: doodads/generic/trap_stalactite_e.xml: All doodad transitions must have existing from and to states
Resource error: items/bomb_wisp_1_small.xml: Could not find file: C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/common/Hammerwatch/assets/items/bomb_wisp_11_small.png
Resource error: items/bomb_wisp_1_small.xml: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Resource error: items/bomb_wisp_1_small.xml: Couldn't load texture specified in sprite
Resource error: projectiles/enemy_boss_krilith_confusion.xml: Could not find file: C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/common/Hammerwatch/assets/projectiles/enemy_boss_krilith_confusion.png
Resource error: projectiles/enemy_boss_krilith_confusion.xml: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Resource error: projectiles/enemy_boss_krilith_confusion.xml: Couldn't load texture specified in sprite
Resource error: projectiles/enemy_boss_krilith_confusion.xml: Could not find file: C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/common/Hammerwatch/assets/effects/enemy_lich_desert_1.png
Resource error: projectiles/enemy_boss_krilith_confusion.xml: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Resource error: projectiles/enemy_boss_krilith_confusion.xml: Couldn't load texture specified in sprite
Resource error: projectiles/enemy_boss_krilith_confusion.xml: Projectile missing sprite for direction 0
Resource error: sound/music_desert.xml: Could not find file: C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/common/Hammerwatch/assets/sound/music/desert_cavern.ogg
Resource error: sound/music_desert.xml: Failed to load ogg sound/music/desert_cavern.ogg
Loading Language
Initializing game
Resource error: : Could not find file: C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/common/Hammerwatch/assets/levels/menu_4.xml.bin
Set initial OpenGL states
Resource error: : Unable to find an entry point named 'glCreateShader' in DLL 'opengl32.dll'.
Resource error: : Unable to find an entry point named 'glCreateShader' in DLL 'opengl32.dll'.
WorldDrawer: Shaders not supported
Resize: GLState: InvalidOperation
Window cursor set
Paint: GLState: InvalidOperation

The last line (Paint: GLState: InvalidOperation) Is repeated 441 times.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 04:45:26 AM by Ariskava »

DivinityArcane

• wat
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 04:57:57 AM »
Looks like the game is unable to load OpenGL at all, since it's retrieving an empty version string. Can you ensure that there are no newer graphics drivers for your card? OpenGL on Windows is provided directly by the graphics drivers, so when it's missing, it means your card either doesn't support it, or there's something wrong with your drivers.

Looks like this is the driver you want: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/75996

Ariskava

• Cleanse. Purge. DERP.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 05:41:17 AM »
Looks like the game is unable to load OpenGL at all, since it's retrieving an empty version string. Can you ensure that there are no newer graphics drivers for your card? OpenGL on Windows is provided directly by the graphics drivers, so when it's missing, it means your card either doesn't support it, or there's something wrong with your drivers.

Looks like this is the driver you want: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/75996

Hm... Well I reinstalled the drivers just in case yesterday, and I just did it again as well and still no difference... Also I don't think its a problem with my Open GL as I can run other games that require Open GL without issue.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 05:43:37 AM by Ariskava »

DivinityArcane

• wat
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 08:12:10 AM »
The line from your log that says "OGL: " should say something like "OGL: 3.2.1" or at the very least "OGL: 1.1.0" which is the basics provided by most drivers to Windows.

Since your drivers are up to date, you'll have to check your nVidia Control Panel settings, and possibly add exceptions for Hammerwatch.exe to get things to work.

Ariskava

• Cleanse. Purge. DERP.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 08:41:45 AM »
The line from your log that says "OGL: " should say something like "OGL: 3.2.1" or at the very least "OGL: 1.1.0" which is the basics provided by most drivers to Windows.

Since your drivers are up to date, you'll have to check your nVidia Control Panel settings, and possibly add exceptions for Hammerwatch.exe to get things to work.

Don't see anything anywhere in the Nvidia control panel about adding exceptions to anything except 3D settings, and none of the options in there do anything significant, also checked my firewall and its not doing anything noteworthy.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 08:53:19 AM by Ariskava »

DivinityArcane

• wat
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 08:58:41 AM »
Try enabling hardware acceleration for HW. Other than that, I'm not quite sure what is causing it. Try deleting your game log and error log (if present) and running it again. Has anything changed in the log?

Ariskava

• Cleanse. Purge. DERP.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 09:17:00 AM »
Try enabling hardware acceleration for HW. Other than that, I'm not quite sure what is causing it. Try deleting your game log and error log (if present) and running it again. Has anything changed in the log?

Error log still not present, and Game.log is the same. For some reason I can't enable hardware acceleration, the menu in control panel> Personalization> Display Settings> Advanced Settings> Troubleshoot says- You current display driver does not allow changes to be made to hardware acceleration settings. I found a release note for the current driver (http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/337.88/337.88-winxp-desktop-release-notes.pdf) and it says

"NVIDIA GPU PhysX acceleration is available only on systems with GeForce 8-series and later GPUs with a minimum of 256 MB dedicated graphics memory.
NVIDIA GPU PhysX acceleration is not available if there is a non-NVIDIA graphics processor in the system, even if it is not used for rendering."

My GPU is a 9 series with 512MB dedicated memory and the only other graphics processor in the system would be the on on the Motherboard which I haven't installed drivers for... And I am pretty sure that windows update didn't do it automatically.

DivinityArcane

• wat
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 09:22:48 AM »
Windows will usually install a generic driver for anything it can.

Go ahead and download the OpenGL Extensions Viewer for Windows and install it. After it's installed, run it and check the summary for both the Generic driver and your nVidia driver, which you'll see in the dropdown at the top. You should see something like this:

The important part is the OpenGL information. You should see version 1.1 for the Generic, and at least 3.X for the nVidia. Can you confirm that?

Ariskava

• Cleanse. Purge. DERP.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 09:32:41 AM »
Windows will usually install a generic driver for anything it can.

Go ahead and download the OpenGL Extensions Viewer for Windows and install it. After it's installed, run it and check the summary for both the Generic driver and your nVidia driver, which you'll see in the dropdown at the top. You should see something like this:

The important part is the OpenGL information. You should see version 1.1 for the Generic, and at least 3.X for the nVidia. Can you confirm that?

OpenGL
Version- 3.3

Driver Version- 9.18.13.3788 Forceware 9.18.13.3788 20-May-14

Also the only renderer it shows is GeForce 9800 GT/PCIe/SSE2

DivinityArcane

• wat
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 09:37:45 AM »
Hm, so when OpenTK looks for a generic interface it might not be seeing one, and that could be the problem. Unfortunately, this might be a limitation of either your drivers or the way HW is coded, I'm not sure which it is. Try running the debug Hammerwatch client from the editor folder, then checking those logs.

Ariskava

• Cleanse. Purge. DERP.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 09:42:30 AM »
Hm, so when OpenTK looks for a generic interface it might not be seeing one, and that could be the problem. Unfortunately, this might be a limitation of either your drivers or the way HW is coded, I'm not sure which it is. Try running the debug Hammerwatch client from the editor folder, then checking those logs.

There is nothing in my hammer watch folders with debug in the name beyond DebugViewOTK.dll...

DivinityArcane

• wat
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 09:43:17 AM »
It's just Hammerwatch.exe, same name as the main client. The difference is that the one in the editor folder should be a debug client.

Ariskava

• Cleanse. Purge. DERP.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 09:45:40 AM »
It's just Hammerwatch.exe, same name as the main client. The difference is that the one in the editor folder should be a debug client.

Same thing as the other game.log.

Edit- also to note is that in the open GL extention viewer under rendering tests GDI Generic(no acceleration) is a option so that may be my Mobo graphics
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 09:47:58 AM by Ariskava »