Author Topic: Community Growth?  (Read 16087 times)

kingsven

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Community Growth?
« on: July 03, 2014, 12:07:37 PM »
Hi!

i stumbled upon the game last week during steam summer sales and absolutely love it!

the patch on july first caught me by surprise, in a positive way ofc. so it seems the game gets more updates as the time goes.

but the community seems not that big afaik. is there any plan to become more popular or to promote the game in any way?

id love to see the game become big, because its lots of fun, esp. with party play.

there is also a subreddit on reddit (hammerwatch.reddit.com) but its far from active.

the hammerwatch wiki is also available and quite good imo.

so is any inside on this topic available?

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Community Growth?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 01:43:17 PM »
I would love to have a larger community, I hope the workshop can do a little there =)

CrusaderDeleters

• The Great Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 03:34:51 PM »
I would love to have a larger community, I hope the workshop can do a little there =)
Same. I'd like to meet some new friends here. It appears that people come, and people go, yet very very few people actually stay (From what I've seen on the forum activity). I'm thinking that the Workshop will make it easier for people to be able to get copies for friends and play some custom multi-player campaigns.
The King of Maernol

Ykanns

• The be u Tiful
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 04:40:01 PM »
I Dont Have any idea,what i can do is just Show the game in my youtube channel,but we only speak portuguese,and hammerwatch almost have no Brasilian players,but i made 3 friends buy the game,and they liked.
But if u have an idea u can count wit me,bro. :\
I have a badger named Alfredo. he does not like assholes

shiftyBOT

• KlokWorkz main artist and level designer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 10:44:14 PM »
Increasing the amount of content on the workshop would  most likely help get a bigger community, and getting more modders /  map makers interested in the game:P

I'm currently working on a custom campaign but its very far from done :/

t0werblade

• Co-Creator of Dingovania
    • View Profile
    • Dingovania Steam Page
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 11:14:41 PM »
I think it's a really interesting problem potentially because of people like me. I've been lurking here for a very long time, actively checking other people's mods out, learning the editor, working with my mod team, and not posting. Like there might be this silent extra 30% of the community who simply aren't noticed because they aren't participants.
I think if we could figure out more ways to lure out the lurkers and get them to start participating, the forums would begin to feel busier, and the community more alive.
It could be however, that no matter what sized community you have you will always have a silent 30-40%. I'm really just speculating based on what I've seen. If you look at viewcounts on some of the posts on the forums they almost feel overstated. It's like there's absolutely no way that there are that many people in here. Like I said though, there's probably a significant number of people just watching while they work away on their own mod, and if we can get them to share their ideas we might all benefit.

shiftyBOT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 04:09:19 AM »
I agree to that idea :P
I lurked before,back when this game first hit the public, I was pushed to buy the game because of the modding!
yes the game may have a campaign etc but its main content is modding :P
if there was some way we could lure those people out and get them to put up content then more people might buy this game as more user generated content is created. :P

CrusaderDeleters

• The Great Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 01:51:07 PM »
I made an IRC channel that should keep some of the non-posters somewhat active.
Server is irc.esper.net, and the channel is #hammerwatch.
Join it just to have a quick question answered or stay tuned to see waht others say. :)
The King of Maernol

RPG_Fatality

• A monster's nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 05:09:25 PM »
If you look at viewcounts on some of the posts on the forums they almost feel overstated.

This could partially be from some members going back to re-visit the page later, as the view count still goes up even if you've been on the page before. On a side note: I've had the game for about 10 months (bought it shortly after release) and I love it. I've managed to get a few friends to buy it and play it with me, and I'm still trying to get a couple others to play it too. The problem is that none of us really have a way to spread news of the game other than telling people we know. I can't even make custom maps right now because the tiles won't render. If there is a way to fix that I would get on it because it seems like a lot of people have this problem, and they are hindered from spreading the glory of Hammerwatch through custom maps.

shiftyBOT

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 06:18:27 AM »
(late reply thingeh)

thanks for stting up a IRC channel :P
I'm going to try and stay connected and active on it whenever I can :P

CrusaderDeleters

• The Great Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 01:49:55 PM »
(late reply thingeh)

thanks for stting up a IRC channel :P
I'm going to try and stay connected and active on it whenever I can :P

That's cool. The more we get in, the faster we could build support for the community. :)
The King of Maernol

shiftyBOT

• View Profile
The akward silence
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 05:49:07 PM »
We need to get way more people to hang out in there though:/
if anyone doesnt own a IRC client i would suggest using hexchat

my reson is that right now it feels quite, Ive been online for 2-3 days and just now crusade deleters has said hello xD

~shiftyBOT

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 06:06:31 PM »
I didnt think people used irc that much any more... I have't used it since my tfc days really.

shiftyBOT

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 06:35:59 PM »
do you mean #hammerwatch Hipshot?
when ever I'm at my computer I'll be connected to it btw :D
(I might also pass out from exaustion some nights) :P

we could just start using it more as a community you and Myran(I think he/she is your programmer) could just kinda advertise it somewhere on the fourms or site ore something(I don't want it to be know on steam,there are to many windows trolls there).
xD
~shiftyBOT

RPG_Fatality

• A monster's nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 10:30:44 PM »
(I don't want it to be know on steam,there are to many windows trolls there).
Steam is a pretty large community, and I don't think shutting them out is the best course of action...