Author Topic: [Release][Tool] Hammersprite - Easily generate the XML for custom sprites  (Read 40783 times)

hoffa911

• Monkey With A Gun
    • View Profile
So I've been playing around with Hammersprite for a bit, and it really is helping with the custom map making experience. However I am having a problem with creating items. I've made two different items, a food item and a collectable item, and they don't seem to have any problems. They show up in the level editor just fine, yet when I run the level, they do not appear. In the level editor they are the top layer so I don't think that's the issue. Is anyone else encountering this?

All tilemaps and doodads I've created work fine.

Thein

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
That's awesome Hipshot. I'm glad to see Hammersprite is working for you. I agree, allowing custom classes would open up so many possibilities for total conversion mods.

Hoffa: It's weird that the item would show up in the editor and not in the game. Did you make sure to save your level before running it? A lot of times I forget to save and I end up playing on a blank level. If that's not the problem, I'll be sure to look into it.  ;)

shiftyBOT

• KlokWorkz main artist and level designer.
    • View Profile
one question!
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 10:35:45 PM »
will it run on linux? I have mono-complete and all the other things need to make HammerEditor run.

Thein

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Hey shiftyBOT. To be honest, I have no idea if it will run on Linux, but you are free to try. I don't have enough experience with Linux to test it myself. Hammersprite was written entirely with the .NET Framework, so it looks like you might be able to run it using mono. If you can't use the installer on Linux, I can upload the application executable for you, but I don't think the auto-updates would work.

hoffa911

• Monkey With A Gun
    • View Profile
That's awesome Hipshot. I'm glad to see Hammersprite is working for you. I agree, allowing custom classes would open up so many possibilities for total conversion mods.

Hoffa: It's weird that the item would show up in the editor and not in the game. Did you make sure to save your level before running it? A lot of times I forget to save and I end up playing on a blank level. If that's not the problem, I'll be sure to look into it.  ;)

I save my levels like three times haha. Twice through "File" in the toolbar, and one more time when it asks as I close the editor. But yeah, it wont show in the level, and then I'll have to reopen the editor, and it's still sitting there on my map in the editor.

t0werblade

• Co-Creator of Dingovania
    • View Profile
    • Dingovania Steam Page
This is perfect.

#igot99probsbutaspriteaint1
#yoloswag
#spriteisbetterthanpepsi
#praisethein
#icanfinishthemodnow

Thein

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Hoffa: Could you attach the image and xml file so I can see what's going on? Or if you don't want to post it publicly send me a private message. Items work fine for me, but there could be bugs that I haven't discovered.

Haha thanks t0werblade. Let me know if there's any particular features you want to see.  ;D

hoffa911

• Monkey With A Gun
    • View Profile
No problem, it's not an important item for anthing more than a series of levels I'm messing around with to get better used to doing things in the editor.

I do have to use the editor from a copy of 1.01 that I had to pirate on account of the current version I bought on steam doesn't work (intel graphics chipset issues). Could this be a problem?

shiftyBOT

• View Profile
I put it in a custom folder I made in my home folder,try to run it.
Permission denied.
...what the heck is going on here?
(this was the second link as I was unable to get the first to work)
does it explicitly need to my in my hammerwatch/editor folder?
and will it even run with the linux file paths?

oh also as a side note.
how exactly does the hammerwatch engine work?
would you mind if I decompiled it and took a look inside?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 04:20:08 AM by shiftyBOT »

Thein

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Hoffa: I tried to load the item, and it gave me the error "Editor can only read RGB or RGBA textures". I've had this error before, to fix it you just have to convert your PNG to a 32 bit depth. My way of doing this is to open the image in Paint.NET (http://www.getpaint.net/), go to Save As, save over your PNG image, and choose 32 bit depth. I attached the fixed 32-bit sprite, so see if it works. If not, I'm afraid it might have something to do with the editor version you are using.   :'(

shiftyBOT: The setup.exe doesn't need to be in your Hammerwatch folder, but I figured it wouldn't let you use the installer on Linux. I have attached a zip containing the application exe itself, let me know if it works for you.

Also, I just updated Hammersprite to version 1.0.0.2. Only a couple changes:

Changelog:
Added pixel border around image boundaries so you don't accidentally drag outside
Added "Auto-Fit" option. When enabled, it automatically shrinks rectangle borders based on transparency (only when dragging new rectangles)
Fixed crash when you resize a rectangle negatively

Thein

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
oh also as a side note.
how exactly does the hammerwatch engine work?
would you mind if I decompiled it and took a look inside?

I don't work for Crackshell, so I'm not the person you should be asking ;D. You should ask Myran or Hipshot.

hoffa911

• Monkey With A Gun
    • View Profile
That fixed the problem I was having! I created the sprite using asesprite, maybe I need to check the settings to be sure that anything I make from scratch is saved as 32bit. Thanks!

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
If it's ok, I'll pin this, cause this tool is very helpful?

Thein

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Sure, that would be great! Thanks  :)

shiftyBOT

• View Profile
will you keep updating the hammersprite version you put there for linux users?
(sorry for the late response)
and I was directing my question at Hipshot :P