Author Topic: The Space Ace  (Read 20334 times)

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
The Space Ace
« on: July 18, 2014, 02:13:01 AM »
[SOURCE]

To play atm, use the first ranger variation. But there's really no gameplay, it's just in a testing phase

Having a little spare time, I figured I should make my own level and put up on the workshop, to give people something more to play and also provide the source to that level, for others to continue and/or change, whatever.

I figured I should do something different, just to show that you can do other themes than just the standard HW/Fantasy thing. HW is still pretty limited when it comes to certain modding aspects, like that you can't change the classes and so, but I figured I could do a tank or boat game, but I eventually landed in this space theme.

Simple story:
You play as Jay Dyllan, the space ace (and his friends if cooping). Your mission is to destroy the huge enemy battle station located in the region. It's gonna be a difficult task, since you are the only survivor in the friendly fleet.

Gameplay:
The basic idea here is to collect resources until you are strong enough to battle the enemy base, there will be only one main level so you will be able to just fly to the base directly and die.
* Enemies will be other space ships, towers and bases.
* Currency used will be scrap metal collected by killing enemy ships, destroying asteroids and liberating space stations.
* Upgrades will be much more frequent than in HW, but will boost much less.
* Skills, since the core of the skills can't be changed, they will be tweaked heavily and also, the graphics will ofc change. E.g. bombs from the ranger will be mines instead.
* Classes will be the regular ones, but reskinned as small space ship, skills will be tweaked and get new grapics. First, the focus should be the ranger and when the game play is solid, introduce more.
* Other things might be that you could enter some planets to find resources, to introduce the keys like some rare metals, like in the desert campaign, that you will use to upgrade vendors.

Completely top down:
The angle here is from straight above, compared to HW wich is a bit tilted. It should be much easier to produce graphical content and fits the gameplay much better.

I was thinking that this could be a community thing too, so if some one would like to contribute space ships, bases and planets, please do! I will constantly release the source too, if someone would like to make their own space game, or change it into something else, or just look how things are made.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 02:37:20 AM by Hipshot »

shiftyBOT

• KlokWorkz main artist and level designer.
    • View Profile
Re: The Space Ace
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 03:20:06 AM »
Amazing work!
your right, hammerwatch is great for non fantasy things :P
I might make a spaceship based on the paladin works :D
and a few other things :P

I might also make better textures for the ships

~shiftyBOT
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 03:24:47 AM by shiftyBOT »

Xyanshift

• KlokWorkz main coder and ideas guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 03:23:57 AM »
ya know know i want to try developing evil evil things for this :P

shiftyBOT

• View Profile
wat?
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 04:21:00 AM »
I'm not sure if this is a problem with my extracting program but when i extracted the source for space ace nothing was in its file
I'm not sure why

HIpshot, I can't tell the difference between the background and the space ship on the ranger sprite sheet...(could you please fix this?)

~shiftyBOT
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 05:36:09 AM by shiftyBOT »

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
Re: wat?
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 10:47:39 AM »
I'm not sure if this is a problem with my extracting program but when i extracted the source for space ace nothing was in its file
I'm not sure why

HIpshot, I can't tell the difference between the background and the space ship on the ranger sprite sheet...(could you please fix this?)

~shiftyBOT

It's a regular zip file, should be easy enough to open.
What do you mean you can't see the ship, it's a white sprite on a transparent background. What program are you using to open the pngs?

ChrisN

• Crackshell Game artist
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 11:01:05 AM »
[SOURCE]

Before hipshot posted the space game here at the forum I made some work-in-progress ship designs for the characters and also had time to implemented a ranger spaceship with a star wars-ish laser projectiles.

(the forum pictures are enlarged)

Go ahead and use the assets if someone is willing! =)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 11:06:00 AM by ChrisN »

shiftyBOT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 11:23:44 AM »
wow chrisN

those are amaizing!
(way better than what I could do)
oh and hipshot the reson its hard to see is because i edit sprites using the link equivalant of MSpaint.
then open them with gimp and add transparency.
so while editing any unused space is white for me :/

Heretic

• Castle Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 11:40:47 AM »
This looks awesome! Definitely had an idea for some kind of futuristic mod, though the inability to change or edit character class/abilities limited it a bit. Can think of a lot of ideas with this kind of food!

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 03:23:51 PM »
This is what the classes could be like:

Ranger -> Laser (arrows), Mines (bombs), Overload (spread), Electrostasis (entangle)
Paladin -> Laser blade (sword), Afterburner (charge), Overdrive (swirl), Repair drones (heal)
Wizard -> Rockets (fireball), Fireburst (flamespray), EPM burst (ice nova), Meteor will probably have to be removed....
Priest -> Flak (smite), Energy beam (beam), Energy field (drain field), Energy aura (Slow aura)
Warlock -> Nano drones (knife), Energy ball (chain light), EMP pulse (drain nova), EMP cloud (storm cloud)
Thief -> Laser blades (knife), Laser burst (throw), Tractor beam (grapple), EMP charge (smoke bomb)

Something like that, a lot of EMP =) Just ideas... it's all about changing graphics and tweak damages and so. Should be doable.

ChrisN

• Crackshell Game artist
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 04:12:07 PM »
Thank you for the kind words shiftyBOT! :)

I am definitely gonna lurk this thread and see if anyone is willing to continue this concept! :D

Xyanshift

• KlokWorkz main coder and ideas guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 06:00:05 AM »
you could keep the fire balls as like.... a space missle artillery fire of sorts  ;D

Termy

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 06:12:10 PM »
Stupid question: How can i play it? Do i have to put it in the hammerwatch folder?

Looks awesome

Greetings

Termy

shiftyBOT

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 07:29:56 PM »
you want to play it with the normal hammerwatch application?
just put the .hwm in the /hammerwatch/levels folder

~shiftyBOT

Termy

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 07:43:17 PM »
you want to play it with the normal hammerwatch application?
just put the .hwm in the /hammerwatch/levels folder

~shiftyBOT

Yes, but there is not .hwm file :(
Or am i stupid?^^

Greetings

Termy

shiftyBOT

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 07:57:12 PM »
sorry my brain derped
the files hipshot has here are the source

you need to run the LevelPacker.exe on them:P

~shiftyBOT