Author Topic: [Campaign] Starwatch  (Read 29453 times)

RedRookLord

• Dungeon Crafter
    • View Profile
[Campaign] Starwatch
« on: July 26, 2014, 09:04:16 PM »
Here is a little demonstration video to wrap up most of everything you need to know about the mod/campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laY4xZvTgRA

"Greetings, I am Redrooklord, from the Hammerwatch Forums, today I bring you an announcement/demonstration/preview of a new mod I am developing called Starwatch, the star wars mod for hammerwatch. I've only been working on this for about a week and I've made far more progress than I could ever hope for. Originally, I planned on making this a 1 level mission, but I've now extended it to a 3 level mini campaign due to the progress I've made. In about a week or so I'll be starting up some kind of closed beta and soon after, the full release. After that, I'll be working on adding new assets and releasing all of them in 1 giant asset package for anyone to make their own starwatch levels. I hope you enjoy the video."

NEWS!

Starwatch has been released, head over to the Hammerwatch Workshop and search for Starwatch!

Workshop Page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407693877

Let me know what you guys think.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 05:35:45 PM by RedRookLord »

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Starwatch (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 10:50:21 PM »
Haha, ace, love the name =)

I made this for fun =)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 11:05:15 PM by Hipshot »

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 11:05:47 PM »
And I think it's great when people do something that's not fantasy!

Edit: Well,... starwars is kinda fantasy, but it's nice with Scifi =)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 01:13:02 AM by Hipshot »

prophet

• Invader
    • View Profile
    • My Steam Workshop
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 01:23:19 AM »
Loved it! I rarely like videos on youtube, you've got it bro!

If I can give some opnions on improving it, I'd say:
- Scenario is a bit bland, do some doodads like bridges and hangar. Even if the scenario doesnt get lots of turns, it will feel better.
- The save could be starwars themed... maybe a r2d2?
- The stomp on at-st can use some bigger range detection and maybe an particle effect (I used meteor decal in my Havel stomp). It's easy to make.

- Boss idea: you can make a 2x1 Vader+Emperor: use spew with lightning sprites + teleport with a fading effect for the Emperor and you can also make Vader use the Force to throw objects as projectiles.

@Hipshot: No fantasy? I guess this is why you are not a fan of my mod? :D

RedRookLord

• Dungeon Crafter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 02:19:20 AM »
Loved it! I rarely like videos on youtube, you've got it bro!

Thanks!

- Scenario is a bit bland, do some doodads like bridges and hangar. Even if the scenario doesnt get lots of turns, it will feel better.

This little "scenario" in the video is just a demonstration map, I haven't even started building the levels yet, I've been so busy building all the assets first. However, I'll make sure I make the levels exciting, just for you.  ;)

- The save could be starwars themed... maybe a r2d2?

8) ...That sounds awesome, thanks for the idea!

- The stomp on at-st can use some bigger range detection and maybe an particle effect (I used meteor decal in my Havel stomp). It's easy to make.

I'll look into that.

- Boss idea: you can make a 2x1 Vader+Emperor: use spew with lightning sprites + teleport with a fading effect for the Emperor and you can also make Vader use the Force to throw objects as projectiles.

I don't want to have any "characters" from the star wars universe, just the content and such, like stormtroopers. However, I did decide on 2 bosses that I'd like to do, but I'm not sure which one. The first is a half vader half sith lord kind of final boss that, like you said, uses force powers to try and defeat the player. The other idea I have is an AT-AT walker that drops troops out of it's body and uses tie bomber attacks and other environmental things. So the 2 themes are either jedi battle or large scale imperial battle. If anyone has an opinion on which they like best, I'll go for that one.

RedRookLord

• Dungeon Crafter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 03:59:45 AM »
I've made some...minor...modifications to hipshot's little logo...

ChrisN

• Crackshell Game artist
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 07:59:44 AM »
Wow, real nice with all these star wars assets!  I am eager get my hands on the full game, keep it up!

I think both ideas Vader/Sith or the AT-AT is all good. But I think its most important that you consider which one you will be able to make as diverse and fun in a boss fight.
Most importantly, will you be able to script the sequence? Both options you named have tons of potential!

Ps: I like the ideas that you have the imperial cargo ship as a spawn unit for stormtroopers! smart!

TrollTaylor

• Pixel Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 06:27:45 AM »
Looks really good!

RedRookLord

• Dungeon Crafter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 08:14:58 PM »
The last week has been filled with all kinds of real life obstacles and I've had to redo some of the areas in level 1 to get them to look right, so closed beta is slightly behind, but I'm half way done now and I have all the doodads that I need all drawn up. Hope to bring you good news soon.

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 08:43:34 AM »
What are you using to generate sounds?
I used this, several times in the regular campaign and in my space level, I've used it for _all_ sounds, lasers, explosions etc.

http://www.bfxr.net/

RedRookLord

• Dungeon Crafter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 05:19:38 PM »
I don't necessarily need to generate sounds since the mod will be based on star wars. I've been scavenging the internet for free sound files and youtube sound compilations and I've been using audacity to modify the files to be the exact length I want them to be.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 08:00:34 PM by RedRookLord »

RedRookLord

• Dungeon Crafter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 08:55:57 PM »
The main post has just been updated with some news regarding the closed beta.

It's getting there guys! Since it took about 2 weeks to finish level 1, I expect levels 2 and 3 will each take about that long as well, so it will probably take about a month to finish.

RedRookLord

• Dungeon Crafter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 12:57:46 AM »
Hey all, just here to say that the project isn't dead. I've been working little bits at a time on the project and I've managed to complete all of the character reskins for ranger, wizard, warlock, priest, and thief. Since I last sent beta copies to some peoples, I've been doing hearthstone and recently, shadow of mordor and some other things, but I have been working and I'll continue to do so until open beta, don't know when! Maybe next year? Maybe by the holidays, who knows!

See you all then.

joedf

• Swift Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 07:18:48 AM »
Very well done! :D

RedRookLord

• Dungeon Crafter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 11:40:46 PM »