Author Topic: Best features of HammerEditor and what is missing?  (Read 9734 times)

ChrisN

• Crackshell Game artist
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Best features of HammerEditor and what is missing?
« on: August 28, 2014, 09:54:22 AM »
Hi guys!

I just wanted to hear out what you all enjoy using in HammerEditor and/or what you guys feel could be improved upon on or is missing to be a better tool for you?

I like how how easy its to setup a room and fill it with monsters and making gates/keys to get a level working. To make simple level with simplistic logic goes very fast

Something I think that really is missing is a tree-branch system similar to this inside the tabs. (image below)

So it gets easier for modders/me to organize assets.

But what do you guys think?

Ps: if anyone has already mentioned a tip to the other developers but it is still missing from HammerEditor. Go ahead and post the feedback anyway. It can be interesting for everyone to see ideas

NekoBaron

• Scripting Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Best features of HammerEditor and what is missing?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 01:13:19 PM »
Would be good if the doodad state script object when linked to only 1 or the same doodads had a way to show you its possible doodad states and maybe a preview of it.

CrusaderDeleters

• The Great Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 01:03:16 PM »
Would be good if the doodad state script object when linked to only 1 or the same doodads had a way to show you its possible doodad states and maybe a preview of it.
And choose which state state of the possible ones it could be in.
The King of Maernol

Amran

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 07:24:22 AM »
I love the point and click nature of working with the editor, including how the scripting system is handled. Something that might be nice to see is a way to comment scripts and features, such as being able to draw a highlighted box around an map area and labeling it.

ZarroTsu

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 06:36:12 PM »
Would it be possible to add a preference where I can spawn a new object of a type I have selected on the actual map window? Like if I'm putting down walls and decide I want to add some torches, I could just click on an existing torch on the map and right click to create a new torch, instead of having to go back and look up the torch object.

Myran

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 01:52:09 PM »
Would it be possible to add a preference where I can spawn a new object of a type I have selected on the actual map window? Like if I'm putting down walls and decide I want to add some torches, I could just click on an existing torch on the map and right click to create a new torch, instead of having to go back and look up the torch object.
If you hold ALT and click an object it will work like a color picker and select that object from the list.

flesh420

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 03:01:24 AM »
This may already be posted, but I don't have time to read through everything atm.  But a doodad, etc., previewer.  Would make things easier for people that don't know things by name.

Kashlavor

• Spike Dodger.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 09:14:23 AM »
The HammerEditor is pretty sweet overall, when its not quite so late I'll see if theres anything else I can think of.

Right now the only thing I noticed was that the ResourceExtractor when using the map argument doesn't unpack the icon or info.xml of levels, meaning that testing them in the editor crashes the editor.
Starting work on the Lair of the Archnecromantrix, a Hammerwatch campaign!

Dai Tou Zai

• Definitely Not Blitzcrank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 11:43:38 AM »
I personally would like to see a light the whole map option, when i create something i want to see everything in bright just so i can look at what i'm creating with a better perspective.
No i'm not blitzcrank, stop asking me.

ChrisN

• Crackshell Game artist
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 12:00:57 PM »
@Dai Tou Zai

Maybe you are referring to shift+F6?(Layers>Rendered layers>Lighting inside the HammerEditor)

Dai Tou Zai

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 12:05:55 PM »
@Dai Tou Zai

Maybe you are referring to shift+F6?(Layers>Rendered layers>Lighting inside the HammerEditor)
Oh god... okay i suggest a hotkey viewer in tools so people will know this stuff Q-Q

(Sorry for this off-topic part)
Oh not an editor related suggestion but, i think if you're playing a game with infinite lives then the lives on the maps should change into gold instead of giving you a useless life you don't need...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 12:11:22 PM by Dai Tou Zai »

Dai Tou Zai

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 07:24:36 AM »
New suggestion - When you click on a script i think that there should be a script link enhancer to everything that script is linked too

Like Everything that script is linked too the line will lighten up so you can tell what its connected to better, this would make it better to tell whats going on and not getting so mixed up in confusing scripting link situations.