Author Topic: Custom Maps & Pubs  (Read 3505 times)

Phantom

• Dungeoneer
    • View Profile
Custom Maps & Pubs
« on: September 13, 2014, 07:51:53 PM »
I hardly ever see anyone play custom maps when I browse (I usually play privately with friends anyways and haven't played on pubs with randoms). Out of curiosity I decided to see what is being played and it is mainly the official campaign being play and sometimes survival.

I wonder why do not more people play customs (for example Pirate Cove is good for a quick round). There are some custom maps that I do see that can potentially become a disaster if randoms join though.

Another question I have is do people need to download the custom map beforehand in order to join or does the game automatically download the map for them?

ChrisN

• Crackshell Game artist
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Custom Maps & Pubs
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 09:19:27 AM »
I guess for your first question is that most people don't bother to look at workshop. After some players have played through the campaign some people get enough. While more experienced gamers might look around the workshop in search for more challenges.

For your second question: Only the host needs to subscribe the map through workshop and everything should run smoothly :)

Phantom

• Dungeoneer
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Maps & Pubs
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 03:02:51 PM »
Ooo, that's nice to know. Maybe I should host up some custom maps that's easy to play through for pubs sometimes. I do feel a bit sorry having to kick (well its my friend who mostly boot people off our room) when direct IP for us fail so we do the host public but put a "FRIEND's ONLY" title. Well I do, they're quite lazy to do it. Some exposure would be nice.

I do wonder what happen if the custom map may go up to about 70 MB or something like Requiem for Hammerwatch.