0 (0%)
Three stars
0 (0%)
Four stars
2 (50%)
Five stars
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: [CAMPAIGN] Dungeon of Doom V1.1.2  (Read 15182 times)

Flemse

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
[CAMPAIGN] Dungeon of Doom V1.1.2
« on: May 15, 2015, 12:43:41 AM »
A slightly customized Hammerwatch scenario, featuring a prologue, traps, secrets, a basement, light puzzles, a boss fight and an 8-bit custom soundtrack by Pantera.

•   Playtime: 40-50 mins.
•   Difficulty: Medium
•   Recommended players: 1-4

http://www.filedropper.com/dungeonofdoomv112_1

This is my first map, be gentle  :)

Update 1.1.1: Added a prologue with some custom sprites and sounds and fixed some bugs.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:37:22 PM by Flemse »

Pyrodioxide

• It is dangerous to go alone!
    • View Profile
Re: [CAMPAIGN] Dungeon of Doom V1.0
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 11:38:54 AM »
Hey Flemse, nice to see you posted your custom map!

Put in a poll option next time you upload/post your map, so people can vote ;-)
I played your map solo as the ranger. (will play it again with a friend and I'll let you know about that later)
My playtime: 45 minutes

I liked the overall idea, style and enjoyed playing it :)
Below is my opinion, mostly based on my personal taste.
(My first custom map has yet to be released, so do not regard me as an expert on this :P)

Pro's:
-The custom music was great especially the final boss music. (At First I thought the music was a bit soft, but since it was playing pretty much every floor it blended into the background nicely)
- I think the amount of upgrades and gold the player gets is very good. (not too much/not too little)
- I liked the final boss stage a lot.
- The ignite/flame sound for the torches was a nice touch
- I really liked the fact that (mini)bosses had speech boxes and liked what they said. (Gave them a personality)
- It was a short, but nonetheless finished and well-rounded map/campaign. (This asks for more :) )
- The start of the map has a nice build-up of enemy types and numbers.

Room for improvement:
- Floor 4 could have been a bigger challenge and I suggest spawning the reward after the "boss" has been defeated
- Playing ranger is of course easy mode on most maps and I will play as a wizard next game, but even when taking that into account halfway through it became a bit too easy for my personal taste.
- Most of the time is spend on one big floor which -although designed nicely- does not entirely give me the full experience and rewarding feeling of making progress.

Easy fixes and bugs I encountered:
- There is a secret area with a puzzle that has torches. The light from the torches is visible through the ceiling panel even before the secret is revealed.(Turn on torches when secret is revealed or use a hide/show script for the torches)
- I had to hit the breakable walls 6+ times to break them. (Not sure what script you are using, but I suggest copying the script in the example folder (editor/example/levels/breakable_wall.xml)
- On the right of the exit to lvl 2 there is one wall piece slightly nodged more forward than the rest. (when using the minimap I saw something like this twice)
- When I was past the firefloor traps and the 8 pillars with torches ignited, the torch on the second pillar of the above four did not disappear properly
- When walking back and forth on the bridge that leads to the exit (that leads to the bossfloor) a panel was flickering/blinking.

Final thoughts
I liked playing it and would like to see more. :)
I would not like to sound greedy, but I liked it and I think this deserves another act and some added floors to the first act.
Keep up the good work and be sure to post any future maps :) Also keep exploring the editor and what it can do.
If you have the time I like to see more custom puzzles and quests in the next version.
I hope this feedback is somewhat useful to you

The bugs I encountered were minor and more of a visual thing.
Most can easily be fixed to make your map even better. (If you ever need help feel free to ask)
Feel free to use the jukebox script: http://hammerwatch.com/forum/index.php?topic=2304.0

Flemse

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 04:32:59 PM »
Thanks for trying my scenario and your feedback :)

I'll get right on making that lower floor more exciting, and maybe add some kind of trap. I sort of felt it was lacking myself.
I think the difficulty is a hard one to get just right, it really depends on the skill level of the player. But I also feel like it's on the easy side, so I think i'll make it a bit more challenging overall.
I'm messing around with custom graphics right now, so I think I'll try to add another island or floor using the assests I have made, to add a bit of extra content to this act.

Thanks for the bug report as well, I'll get right on fixing them.

Don't worry about sounding greedy, it makes me very happy to hear that you want more, that's a great compliment to me :) I'm not sure I have the time to add a whole 2nd act right now, but I'll definatily consider doing so in the future, if people want it.

PS: added a poll.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 09:38:00 PM by Flemse »

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 02:05:23 PM »
We will try this out tomorrow morning =)

Flemse

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 12:11:18 AM »
What an honor :) Be sure to grab the new version(original had a fatal multiplayer bug) and tell me what you think when you have tried it.

http://www.filedropper.com/dungeonofdoomv112_1
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:37:38 PM by Flemse »

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 10:31:21 AM »
That was really fun, but we died on the boss. We will try again soon.
We were a Paladin, Priest, Wizard and Warlock.

Pyrodioxide

• It is dangerous to go alone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 10:51:06 PM »
Wow Hipshot :) I've been following the SSBD project closely and I just want to say that I think it is really cool that you still take time to try custom Hammerwatch maps! (With you guys being so busy and all :) ) I'll be sure to post my custom Hammerwatch map/campaign and resources in a month or two when it is finished.

Also from what I can tell the editor for SSBD looks amazing! Looking forward to trying that too. 
Feel free to use the jukebox script: http://hammerwatch.com/forum/index.php?topic=2304.0

Flemse

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Re: [CAMPAIGN] Dungeon of Doom V1.1.1
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 03:39:33 PM »
Hey guys, added a prologue to the scenario. Hope you will try it out, and please feel free to give criticism.

http://www.filedropper.com/dungeonofdoomv111_3
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 12:44:20 AM by Flemse »

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 10:30:50 AM »
We completed it this morning, Wizard, Paladin and Priest, I think we died 8 times on the boss.
A really fun level, the only thing I think I would like to see just a little more money.
The frost tower gauntlet was really really fun, having one player taunt the tower beam and the others killing it.

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 10:31:31 AM »
Consider placing this on the Steam Workshop if you can.

ChrisN

• Crackshell Game artist
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 10:33:59 AM »
Holy damn, this map was ace! ;D

Many fun ideas, surprising moments and optional challenges makes this really nice! You should upload this at the steamworkshop so more people can play this great map!

The prologue seems to be hinting more stuff coming up with lvl5 vendors! I would be excited to see more of your work! :D

Some feedback
- When walking in through different levels, right now it changes when the host walks in the door. It would be nicer if it was when everyone is at the door so it does not come as a surprise to the other teammates.
- One thing we really liked is the firetrap when getting the bronze key. It would be nice if there was a sound indicating the trap was active, just to step up the "what-the-fuck-was-that" moment! :)

Flemse

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 11:32:48 AM »
It makes me really happy to hear that you guys like it, that means a lot :D

I uploaded the scenario to the workshop yesterday, so that's already taken care of :)

And yes, I do plan to make more, because I've really enjoyed making this. It'll be a while before I can start work on it, because I'll be working on finishing my exams right now, but when they are over, I'll most likely start work on a 2nd act right away.

About the feedback:

I found out about the exit thing myself yesterday, but didn't have time to fix it. When I use levelExitArea, it doesn't seem to register that the other players are there, and just stays at the level with the waiting for other players text. And when I use levelExit it just takes all the players down immidiately. Do you have an example of the script you guys use to change floors that I could possibly take a look at?

Do you mean the gold key behind the bronze door? Because that's a personal favorit, we've already had many laughs watching people get completely suprised by it :D I want to make more of that kind of traps when I make the 2nd act.

Thanks again for trying my scenario and giving feedback. Any criticism is always welcome. I'll be sure to post any update I make both here and on the workshop.

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 02:13:52 PM »
You need to place the level exit areas OUTSIDE the sprite, on the ground. You should be able to download the entire official campaign here somewhere and look how I did it there =)

Flemse

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Re: [CAMPAIGN] Dungeon of Doom V1.1.2
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 11:41:56 PM »
That is great, I can learn a lot from those files :)

Exits should work now, and I've added slightly more money, fixed some bugs, added missing sounds and done some minor aesthetics improvements.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 12:30:57 AM by Flemse »