Author Topic: [Campaing] Gauntlet Retro-Campaing [RLZ/WIP]  (Read 30909 times)

khrusayder

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
[Campaing] Gauntlet Retro-Campaing [RLZ/WIP]
« on: September 17, 2014, 05:58:59 AM »
===Introduction===

Hi everybody, I am Khrusayder and im from Spain and new on the this community. First of all. My apologies for my bad english. Im working in a campaing Gauntlet-like, a famous game from the 90's. The plan is simple, make simple maps with a maniac number of enemies to kill. Bonus maps of the main campaing are inspired on gauntlet, so im working in some similar maps. At the moment i used bonus map textures, but i converted some textures from the original gauntlet.

The campaing gonna have custom music too. I know, Gauntlet (1985) not have BGM music, but i plan add some music from other old-school games. People who born in 1980 - 1990 gonna have some nostalgy and good old-memories.

For the who dont know nothing about the original game, i suggest you search some videos or screenshots.

===About the campaing / FAQ===

Q:Diffuculty?
A:Hard / Maniac [Tested in Medium game difficulty. In hard maybe its insane.

Q:Players?
A:1-4 (obviously)

Q:How many levels gonna have the final version?
A:100

Q:Custom Textures?
A:Yes, Drawn or Converted from the original game by me.

Q:Custom Music?
A: Yes.

Q:Custom Enemies?
A: Yes.

Q:Custom Classes:
A:No.

Q:Custom bosses?

Q:Bosses?
A:Yes, from main campaing and desert expansion.

Q:Map design?
A:Some gonna be simple [just like Gauntlet] others gonna be more complex.

Q:Secrets?
A: No yet. Remember, simple maps. But maybe in a future maps.

Q:How many enemies we can expect?
A:With 6 maps finshed the stats menu said aprox: 7000 enemies killed. [playing alone] [Screenshot coming soon]

Q:When gonna released...
A:Ill upload to this site when i finish 20 maps. But the final version gonna be too on the workshop. [STEAM]

Q:Why 100 level?
A:Because the original game Gauntlet is unlimited and not have ending. So i think 100 is a good number.

Q:Why the maps are poor?
A:Because are Gauntlet-like, remember: Simple maps.

Q:Time to the release?
A:Well, im finished 6 maps in 2 days, in few days i think gonna upload the first alpha. I have a lot of free time.

Q:You gonna include some original Gauntlet maps?
A:Absolutly yes.

Q:In Gauntlet some maps are the same. You gonna repeat your own maps? 

Q:A lot of enemies! Be Paladin/Thief gonna be Painful...
A:For your own sanity. Play as Paladin/Thief is not recommend. Hahahaha. But i love try it!

====Tips and Rules====

1 - I've tested that 6 maps with 3 friends of my town. And some problems with the performance has been reported. But i fixed the most of them. Just follow this very important rule: Dont go fluttering and going rambo on the map. You gonna be surrounded and killed in the best case. In the worst, your PC gonna explode in your face if you activate all the spawn points at the same time. For the same reason, dont activate all the buttons what you see if you are fleeing, dodging, fluttering, killing, or if there are enemies chasing you.

So take it easy. Clear a zone, advance and clear the next one. Or your PC gonna turn into a toaster.

2 - If you are playing with friends, staytogether. If not, be careful and watch your back. I've tested the maps alone too, and i beat him with wizard and paladin. So ITS POSSIBLE finish the maps, just dodge and fallback if you need it.

3 - If you play alone and as paladin/thief, when you finish the campaing go to the most nearest medical center. You need a new hand/arm. [Personal Experience]

4 - A lot of enemies on the screen, i have a mid-end PC and work fine. But if you have an old computer or low-end PC, i cant guarantee this campaing work properly on your computer.

===Motivation===

Hammerwatch is heavy inspired on Gauntlet. And i think its time to give him a tribute.

===Custom Content===

-Creatures-

*Finished and implemented*
Phantom - By Phantom
Kobold - By me and Hal9000
Mindflayer - By me and Hal9000
Zombie - By me and Hal9000
Gnoll - By me and Hal9000
Kuotoa - By me and Hal9000

*Working on*
Gauntlet creatures

-Custom doodads/tilemaps--

Gauntlet Walls and floor
Happy-World textures by me
Eye of the beholder textures by me and Hal9000

-Items-

Gauntlet door

-Custom Music-

Dogs of War BGM (1989) Amiga
Resident Evil 1 - Save Room
The Lovin' Spoonful - Do you believe in magic

===Map Themes===

*At the moment*
Act I [Official]
Act II [Official]
Act III [Official]
Bonus1 [Official]
Bonus2 [Official]
Bonus3 [Official]
Bonus4 [Official]
Bonus5 [Official]
Gauntlet Theme 1
Eye of the beholder Theme 1
Happy-World Theme

===Progress===

Levels: 21 /100
Creatures: 45%
Textures: 45%

===Tributes===

-Happy theme are maps with rainbow textures, a tribute to the pyro of team fortress 2.
-A map called: E1M1. A fusion of the first maps of various games of ID Software: Quake 1, Doom 1 & 2. In the three games, the first map have the same name: E1M1.

===Original Gauntlet Elements===

Im doing few works at the same time, mapping, converting textures/sprites and creatures. And ofcourse creating new content. I plan add the original elements of the game in the second version of the campaing. In other words, Original monsters and maps start to appear in level 21 and above.

About the maps, Oriignal gauntlet maps are too small, For fix that, i will put 5 gauntlet levels in one map connected eachother. And i will add more add custom maps created by me of course, and some new creatures. Other ones are the same creaures with different skin and stats.

This gonna have 100 levels, so dont expect have all the weapon/defense/combo upgrades soon. This gonna be challenging, You gonna find too the same monsters, but with more level, strength and life. Because i've added too upgrade items on the map. That means you go canabove the level 6 defense or offense. But you dont gonna be a God ofcourse. Enemies level up too.

===Download===

Part 1 - [Levels 1 - 20]
Link: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=05128549441557193831

===Installation===

Just put the archive: Gauntlet.hwm on your levels folder.

===Screenshots===

---[Level 9/2]--- =The Dream 2/2=

---[Level 11]--- =The Chess=

---[Level 12]--- =The E1M1=

---[Level 15]--- =The Squares=
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 03:36:23 AM by khrusayder »

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
Re: [Campaing] Gauntlet Retro-Campaing [WIP]
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 08:31:00 AM »
Nice, I was waiting for someone to do this.
You could go full mod out and just rip the sprites from G4, like the ghosts and demons, well well.

You can look here for Level Design and layout tips, there's also the graphics for Gauntlet
http://www.vgmaps.com/forums/index.php?topic=1785.0

And, last, shadows, I suggest you put the ambient and shadows at pure white and then paint in the shadows using the tilemap for bonus shadow, that's what I did in our bonus levels.

ChrisN

• Crackshell Game artist
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 08:49:52 AM »
Awesome! Looking forward to try this! :)

About the spawn issues, I think it would be wise to design it in a way that lag issues won't appear at all. Maybe trying to reduce the spawnrate och replace with stronger enemies?

khrusayder

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 02:19:52 PM »
I think it would be wise to design it in a way that lag issues won't appear at all

Yeah, that was i done to solve some performance problems, replace a group of enemies for stronger ones.
the problems are "solved" just dont go arround pushing buttons and spawning enemies without killing he others. But thanks for the idea anyway mate :D

You could go full mod out and just rip the sprites from G4, like the ghosts and demons, well well.

And, last, shadows, I suggest you put the ambient and shadows at pure white and then paint in the shadows using the tilemap for bonus shadow, that's what I did in our bonus levels.

Yeah i thinking about it, i have gauntlet sprites and map designs. About the maps i know how to convert the textures. Edit/create creatures models or animations looks easy [not tried yet] but make/edit the .xml scripts maybe difficult. Specially the DEATH, you know... that bastard creature of gauntlet. In gauntlet, the death only can be killed on melee, and drain life much fast.

Maybe if i edit a offical skeleton model, and change the attack speed to veryfast, i can make it.

And i solved the problem with the shadows, thank you mate!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 02:33:02 PM by khrusayder »

Phantom

• Dungeoneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 10:47:04 PM »
yay gauntlet

khrusayder

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 02:51:56 PM »
Ey Phantom, i used in this campaing your phantom creature, very useful. Thank you :)

Phantom

• Dungeoneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 05:42:45 PM »
No problem, modify the .xml files as you please to fit the mission you need to. I was planning to make a spider next while slowly working on my campaign (although that'll take some time and I'm on vacation right now) (looks like there's already a spider from version 1.3 . No need for me to reinvent the wheel then).

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 06:54:41 AM by Phantom »

khrusayder

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 05:55:37 PM »
Yeah thanks, i've edited the sprite to create some different phanom types. I suppose is no a problem right? and now im creating a kobold, when i finish the first beta, i'll upload the all the resources.

Phantom

• Dungeoneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 06:56:21 PM »
Do whatever you want to it.

khrusayder

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 03:40:19 AM »
Thank you Phantom :)

khrusayder

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 05:01:22 AM »
New Screenshots and updated post!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 05:27:18 AM by khrusayder »

Shulai

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 04:40:15 PM »
OMG! O.o

I need to play this campaing right now!!! XD

ZarroTsu

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 05:27:06 PM »
Huh. Those 'dream' enemies look kind of neat.

...The walls, not so much. I can't tell if that's the image compression or not, though.

khrusayder

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 05:35:49 PM »
...The walls, not so much. I can't tell if that's the image compression or not, though.

the walls are a conversion of the original gauntlet, and recolored by me. Its normal. Have old and simple graphics that walls. Gauntlet have some other walls, with better textures. That one is the most basic of the game, only have 3 tones of the same color. For example, a red block have: Red, Dark Red and Light Red.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 05:44:44 PM by khrusayder »

khrusayder

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 07:06:51 AM »
Post updated, with some new info.