Author Topic: New Class - Totem Ranger!!  (Read 8909 times)

Kashlavor

• Spike Dodger.
    • View Profile
New Class - Totem Ranger!!
« on: October 07, 2014, 09:50:18 AM »
New class available, wooooo!

Really though, now that the hype is out of the way I've been experimenting to see just how far one can tweak that tweak/ folder, and I came up with the idea of subclasses, variants for the existing ones which can have their own unique upgrades.  Right now we have the totem ranger (far from done), who can summon clones to help him with a barrage of arrows instead of bombs.  I'd like to have a few more custom assets.

As far as whats possible there's a ton which you can do to change how shops and upgrades work, even making specific options for each class and branching skill trees.  I'm going to start a smaller and more do-able tutorial series focused more around giving out tidbits and useful one off tools to other level designers called Kashlavor's Compendium.

Its incredibly late here, so I'm going to sleep and come back with some more coherent ideas in the morning.

In the meantime, check it out.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=323511449

WOoooooOOOOo NEW ClAsS!111!1

Starting work on the Lair of the Archnecromantrix, a Hammerwatch campaign!

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
Re: New Class - Totem Ranger!!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 10:47:59 AM »
Nice. However, you will never be able to make enemies target other enemies, but instead, you can spawn "towers" that shoots like the nova towers do, that would make more sens then I guess.

Dai Tou Zai

• Definitely Not Blitzcrank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 11:39:51 AM »
Neat project, it kind of reminds me of the engineer class from TF2.
No i'm not blitzcrank, stop asking me.

Kashlavor

• Spike Dodger.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 07:34:38 PM »
Nice. However, you will never be able to make enemies target other enemies, but instead, you can spawn "towers" that shoots like the nova towers do, that would make more sens then I guess.

True, I think I'm going to change it look like a small totem that you drop which shoots an energy beam towards you, sort of like forming a wall between yourself and it.  Theres also a fun sort of challenge to you being the cross-hairs to where they aim, makes positioning more important.

ChrisN

• Crackshell Game artist
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 09:19:03 AM »
Really nice!

It got me inspired so I made a little sprite when I got home just for fun!

Instead of calling it totem ranger maybe call it Druid or Shaman? If you were going to remove the bow and arrow ofc :)

Kashlavor

• Spike Dodger.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 09:21:10 PM »
Oh thats pretty cool, and some good ideas.  I'll upload a cleaner version tonight with the whole branching skill tree thing as well to show off to people how to do that.

Theres no way to actually change a player's animation in game though right?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 09:22:50 PM by Kashlavor »