Author Topic: A Separate General disscussion board?  (Read 8094 times)

Leaf_It

• Peasant
    • View Profile
A Separate General disscussion board?
« on: October 26, 2014, 04:06:56 AM »
I think this forum lacks a "General Discussion" board for things outside of Hammerwatch. The "Hammerwatch Discussion" board does say "Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board."However, the vast majority of the threads all have to do with Hammerwatch. There certainly are many outlets across the web for things outside of Hammerwatch, but having a section of the site for this purpose, could be beneficial. It would provide fellow Hammerwatch players a place to talk about things that aren't related to the game. Like a never ending thread of forum games, and stories and stuff. Or one of those last posts wins sort of things. Those are always fun.

Also perhaps an Introduction board could help. Newcomers to a website can often feel lost, or have reservations when they first join a forum they aren't familiar with. An Introduction Board, as well as a General Discussion Board would help break initial barrier. It would also give existing members a chance to get to know new members right from the start, and it would promote activity in new comers, as well as older members, which helps the forums stay active.

How does everyone else feel about this? Thoughts? Comments?

Dai Tou Zai

• Definitely Not Blitzcrank
    • View Profile
Re: A Separate General disscussion board?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 01:42:18 AM »
I like it, or atleast a shoutbox at the top of the fourms so we can have a place to just chill and chat
No i'm not blitzcrank, stop asking me.

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 02:03:21 PM »
If some more people find it useful, I'm sure we can add that.

CrusaderDeleters

• The Great Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 10:43:07 PM »
Dai Tou Zai: We DO have an IRC where you can chill and chat. :) (irc.esper.net, #hammerwatch)
The King of Maernol

Dai Tou Zai

• Definitely Not Blitzcrank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 12:00:48 AM »
Dai Tou Zai: We DO have an IRC where you can chill and chat. :) (irc.esper.net, #hammerwatch)
doesn't load
No i'm not blitzcrank, stop asking me.

Leaf_It

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 12:40:36 AM »
Some people don't like IRCs for whatever reason. Also, some people who are new to the internet can't get them to work. When I first encountered them, they didn't like me. But I was on Dial-up at the time, and there were other issues.

Edit: After being the IRC for around 2 days, its not really a place where people can chat. I mean, unless its only active when I'm asleep, it is dead. ShiftyBOT is the only one who ever says anything, and he only said stuff because I started talking first. A shout box isn't actually a bad idea, because then if there's anyone online on the forums they'll see it, and can say something. The forums also won't show idlers as being online unless they do something on the website every 15 minutes or so.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 08:02:15 AM by Leaf_It »

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 05:43:41 PM »
I'm not sure there are enough people around to warrant a general discussion forum...

Leaf_It

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 06:05:56 PM »
You have a good point. I was hoping it would help encourage people to come here more, for reasons other than just hammerwatch. :/

This game is really good, and I don't understand why this site is as dead as it is.

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 06:16:58 PM »
I think it's because this forums really is about modding the game, more than anything else. But a lot of people do it "alone" too, w/o ever talking here and so =)

AAAAND

Most general discussions takes places in the Steam forums =) =/

CrusaderDeleters

• The Great Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 02:16:46 AM »
Some people don't like IRCs for whatever reason. Also, some people who are new to the internet can't get them to work. When I first encountered them, they didn't like me. But I was on Dial-up at the time, and there were other issues.

Edit: After being the IRC for around 2 days, its not really a place where people can chat. I mean, unless its only active when I'm asleep, it is dead. ShiftyBOT is the only one who ever says anything, and he only said stuff because I started talking first. A shout box isn't actually a bad idea, because then if there's anyone online on the forums they'll see it, and can say something. The forums also won't show idlers as being online unless they do something on the website every 15 minutes or so.
Sadly because nobody comes in in the first place. :c Half the time I'm not in anymore, because I forget to start Chatzilla again after Firefox crashes (The new updates worsened it).
The King of Maernol

Phantom

• Dungeoneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 06:20:48 AM »
If there's some skype chat group, I'd join that.