Author Topic: Custom Maps? Short Maps? Some Brainstorms  (Read 4786 times)

Phantom

• Dungeoneer
    • View Profile
Custom Maps? Short Maps? Some Brainstorms
« on: December 26, 2014, 08:50:41 PM »
I wonder if these could be more ideal for a public game since on public games if someone plays a full campaign, there's no guarantee that someone will beat it fully without crutches because there is always a chance that something will go wrong. I was wondering if a rogue like no respawn until the next floor or until game over will be more ideal for custom maps on public servers. Ideally length of game would be from 15 minutes to an hour. I like longer campaigns too but I prefer playing them with closer friends or more organize groups to avoid wasting too many lives. Well, there’s also solo.

I also thought instead of the typical buy one attribute upgrade, you can also choose mod the tweak folder in the hammerwatch editor to change all the characters starting attributes and skills and also make a vendor that sells perks instead of upgrades to make characters have either more lives, less lives, more damage, less damage, mana, etc. I wonder if that would be a good idea. There aren’t too many custom maps, by wonder if there were a flood of quickly made short custom maps be good or not with a few tweaks on the workshop be a bad idea or a good idea.

I’m not so sure about continuing the campaign I am working on either since I lost motivation. Maybe I aim a bit too high with custom content for larger campaign and such too much.

I know the random dungeon generator someone made in Java can make something fast, but it can be kind of tasteless and it is quite buggy and it needs some sort of maximum value since it’s not foolproof so you can set a value too high and lag the game.

I wonder how a boss fight generator would work if it was not random, but someone pick a premade map and a boss, whether to have lives or no lives, how much money to buy upgrades, what kind of upgrades or perks is available, and what boss to fight or bosses.

Sorry for the long post, I am just brainstorming. I figure out that I can’t commit on a project that’s big too long at the moment balancing school and life without support. I might just release my incomplete campaign source files if I really gave up. I couldn’t work on it too much juggling with multiple things. I figured small-scale stuff might be easier to make but I was wondering whether it was ideal for this game or if anyone is interested.

Phantom

• Dungeoneer
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Maps? Short Maps? Some Brainstorms
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 09:07:58 PM »
By perk, I meant something sort of like this though make it maybe too expensive that player can only buy 1? Unless buying a new one overwrites the other, not sure whether upgrades stack or overwrite in this manner.

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 09:54:31 AM »
I do agree that people should make shorter, more tight campaigns that they can actually finish, but it's difficult. I think it comes with experience, being able to make a short and good campaign and being able to start and close it well. I think Amrans Pirate's Cove does this really well, it's not too long and have some custom assets in it.

If I had more time on my hands, I would very much to create an actual custom map for HW that was smaller but more tight action.

Dai Tou Zai

• Definitely Not Blitzcrank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 07:59:52 AM »
I do agree that people should make shorter, more tight campaigns that they can actually finish
lol this is so true, i shouldn't have started a huge campaign, im on a break atm, not sure ill get back to it until next month or so
No i'm not blitzcrank, stop asking me.