Author Topic: Defense map files or info?  (Read 8337 times)

Vaderman24

• Tower Destroyer
    • View Profile
Defense map files or info?
« on: December 30, 2014, 11:41:52 AM »
I recently got Hammerwatch during the steam winter sale and I love the game, I tend to get play-crazy and want to make my own content with games I play. So after playing the campaign for a few hours I decided to see what other maps were on the game. That's when I saw the Defense map and played around in it, while at time's it can be challenging, it is also allot of fun... But... It feels like it's missing more content that would make me want to play it over and over again, which is how I stumbled my way into the editor, chipping away at it, figuring out how things work. Soon after I decided to make my own map, then I though to myself, "Why not make my own Defense map?" I've managed to get pretty far into developing it on my own, making custom files to make game-play more interesting, but I've ran into a roadblock that is making it difficult to move forward. I tried making my own wave system for the past few days now, but I can't seem to get it to work. Every other aspect of the map works fine, but I can't get the wave system up and going. So this over complicated explanation brings me to the point of... Is there a download, file, unpacker, any way to look at the defense map in the editor? I would like to look at it to see how the wave system was done. I've already looked though the forums to see if one of the devs might have released a download of it, but the only map I could find was the normal campaign map. If someone could help it out it would help allot :D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 02:23:43 PM by Vaderman24 »

forehanddeath11

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Re: Defense map files or info?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 04:26:59 PM »
If I read that correctly you want to view the defense map in the editor so you can see how the wave system worked? If so, in Hammerwatch/levels you can find the Defense.hwm file. If you put that in the editor folder and then run the Resourceextractor.exe on it, it will make a folder with the .xml files that you can load up in the editor

Phantom

• Dungeoneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 05:32:42 PM »
I made a post on how to do that here http://hammerwatch.com/forum/index.php?topic=2171.msg5143#msg5143 shortcut with ResourceExtractor

Vaderman24

• Tower Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 07:05:56 PM »
If I read that correctly you want to view the defense map in the editor so you can see how the wave system worked? If so, in Hammerwatch/levels you can find the Defense.hwm file. If you put that in the editor folder and then run the Resourceextractor.exe on it, it will make a folder with the .xml files that you can load up in the editor
Ah I see, I've come across this information before, although it was very vague, thanks for info ^_^
I made a post on how to do that here http://hammerwatch.com/forum/index.php?topic=2171.msg5143#msg5143 shortcut with ResourceExtractor
This makes things allot easier for me,  thank you :)

*Edit - I've tried both methods to extract the files but nothing seems to happen :( Could be something I'm doing wrong?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 07:47:16 PM by Vaderman24 »

hakketerror

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 07:41:52 AM »
wait, can you do that with any custom map? it would suck if anybody could just copy paste the hard work i put into my scripts :(

Phantom

• Dungeoneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 05:18:39 PM »
*Edit - I've tried both methods to extract the files but nothing seems to happen :( Could be something I'm doing wrong?

Look for the folder with the same name as the parameter you put inside the shortcut for resource extractor. For example if the file was defense.hwm , the folder will be named defense. Check for that and the files are inside.

wait, can you do that with any custom map? it would suck if anybody could just copy paste the hard work i put into my scripts :(

You can but ethically people should ask the author for permission before they do that, especially if they plan to release it. Sometimes some people might need a little hints on how to do things for personal purposes.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 05:20:49 PM by Phantom »

Vaderman24

• Tower Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 07:37:30 PM »
Look for the folder with the same name as the parameter you put inside the shortcut for resource extractor. For example if the file was defense.hwm , the folder will be named defense. Check for that and the files are inside.

I've tried doing as you say, but nothing pops up. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "adding the parameter"?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 07:43:06 PM by Vaderman24 »

Phantom

• Dungeoneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 08:13:15 PM »
Make a shortcut to resource extractor.

Go to Target box and type in map defense.hwm

Double click the shortcut and it shall do work

Vaderman24

• Tower Destroyer
    • View Profile