Author Topic: Some opinions on the game (balances, difficulty, etc.)  (Read 11860 times)

rebeccamiyamoto

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Some opinions on the game (balances, difficulty, etc.)
« on: August 16, 2013, 06:41:48 AM »
First thing, I've only played the beta. And only on hard.

1. Paladin is utterly useless, it takes like 4 shots and he's dead. Being a melee class fighting the projectile shooters is impossible. I always just ignore and run past them.
2. It would be better if enemies can shoot more projectiles, i feel the projectile numbers aren't enough (really easy to never getting hit at all)
3. Mage flamethrower is utterly useless as it's a channeling spell and BAM one shotted by any kind of projectiles. I just use the normal attack.
4. Needs way more environmental hazard like ground spikes and wall arrow shooters etc.
5. Might be cool if your character can attack while moving back or to other directions that isn't forward.

myroman

• You know nothing, John Snow!
    • View Profile
Re: Some opinions on the game (balances, difficulty, etc.)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 07:26:37 AM »
1. Paladin is utterly useless, it takes like 4 shots and he's dead. Being a melee class fighting the projectile shooters is impossible. I always just ignore and run past them.

- Paladin can block incoming projectiles.

2. It would be better if enemies can shoot more projectiles, i feel the projectile numbers aren't enough (really easy to never getting hit at all)

- Playing on a higher difficulty makes them shoot more projectiles, on easy the red maggot shots 2, on medium 3, on hard 5 (or 6?) projectiles.

3. Mage flamethrower is utterly useless as it's a channeling spell and BAM one shotted by any kind of projectiles. I just use the normal attack.

- I things it's not useless, high AOE damage! But the point with incoming projectiles is a big thing, especially while it's overlaying all other stuff. maybe the flames should burn them ;)

4. Needs way more environmental hazard like ground spikes and wall arrow shooters etc.

- Maybe, maybe not! Act 4 has lot of traps :D

5. Might be cool if your character can attack while moving back or to other directions that isn't forward.

- NO!

rebeccamiyamoto

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 07:55:30 AM »
- Paladin blocking projectiles is not reliable. Because risk getting hit is not worth the reward.
- As I stated, I don't play on anything other than hard. And I still think it's not enough
- High AOE damage is not worth the risk of getting oneshotted when you can use your normal fireball anyways.
- Not enough
- I think it opens up more playstyle

Psyborg

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 08:09:43 AM »
As for #5, the Strafe key does exactly what you want, and makes the Paladin a lot better. Being able to keep distance while attacking is great, and it keeps him facing toward projectiles, blocking all of them that don't hit his feet/head.

rebeccamiyamoto

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 10:49:54 AM »
As for #5, the Strafe key does exactly what you want, and makes the Paladin a lot better. Being able to keep distance while attacking is great, and it keeps him facing toward projectiles, blocking all of them that don't hit his feet/head.

Theres a strafe key..? Please enlighten me. It's not in the rebind for both keyboard and controller.

myroman

• You know nothing, John Snow!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 11:40:14 AM »
on keyboard its space, hold it to strafe. theres also shift to stand still! look it up in controls :)

Myran

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
There is no strafe or hold keys in the beta version of the game. If you want it to be harder you can try playing with the 1hp modifier, that should make it pretty tricky.

rebeccamiyamoto

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 06:55:42 AM »
There is no strafe or hold keys in the beta version of the game. If you want it to be harder you can try playing with the 1hp modifier, that should make it pretty tricky.

I actually really like the 1hp modifier but it makes the paladin even more useless

Etheric

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 08:02:58 PM »
I actually really like the 1hp modifier but it makes the paladin even more useless

I really think the Paladin is the best class, but I can see why it would be really hard to solo him... actually it'd be pretty hard to solo any class but the ranger I'd think.

(at least in the full version) the paladin has a really high damage output because he can attack faster than the ranged classes can, and his sword swings in a large arc.  He can buzz-saw most mobs before they can hurt him.  The only tough ones to deal with are the elite ones that have more hitpoints than he can buzz through (like the beetles with spikes, or the grubs and skeletons with mohawks), against them you have to kite them (attack twice, back up, attack twice, back up).

Also, after a couple of upgrades, his dash is really high damage (since it is a multiplier of his basic attack).

In a 4-class, 4 player game, then yes, the ranger is going to be attacking all the time, looking like he's the most effective (although he can be kind of boring to play), then the wizard.  The paladin is going to feel like he is sitting around not doing anything sometimes, but he's just trickier to play, you have to watch threat vectors, decide when it is time to go in and when to just draw fire away from your ranged buddies.  With the dash and the speed of his basics, he can make some great assassination dives against generators.

I just wish spikes didn't insta-kill and instead just did some damage and pushed you off of them.  It makes it hard to move across timed spike pits in 4-player if even one of your team is less-than-coordinated.