Author Topic: Editor Tutorials  (Read 28929 times)

Linaru

• That Collectable coin is mine!
    • View Profile
Editor Tutorials
« on: July 13, 2013, 08:44:27 PM »
Made a little thread for tutorials on the editor, for those of you who might not of seen them in the steam discussions.

i began writing a simple guide to making dungeons for beginners,
its only a rough draft so far, but thought id post it up here as soon as possible for people to use.

A guide to Dungeoneering

enjoy =3
-----------------------------------------------------------
Stabaddey Stabaddey Zap

myroman

• You know nothing, John Snow!
    • View Profile
Re: Editor Tutorials
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 10:02:35 AM »
following your tutorial and tried this:

Now you’ve got the basics of the button, but the area trigger isn’t connected to the change state doodad, so it will not tell it to run when pressed.
To fix this select the area trigger hold ctrl-alt and click on the change doodad state.
This will tell the area trigger to change the graphics for the button when someone stands in the area, simply move the area over the top of the button and when a player stands on it the button will change its graphic to a pressed down button.

this don't work on mac. pressing ctrl + leftclick on mac just do a rightclick and spawns another script.

Myran

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 12:58:55 PM »
So on Mac I had to use the >< button for Ctrl and the Cmd button for Alt, because of the whole modify mouse button thing.

myroman

• You know nothing, John Snow!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 01:24:59 PM »
thanks again!

TheLonelyCookie

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 09:36:07 PM »
Thank you so much for this tutorial, especially the part where you mentioned that I could use a pixelated drawing to make my dungeon layout

Thanks!, Cookie

Dai Tou Zai

• Definitely Not Blitzcrank
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 04:57:01 AM »
"let’s save your map and give it a test, click file> save name it whatever you wish I recommend something like ‘level_floor_1’  and save it into your levels folder.
Next open up the levels.xml from earlier and change the file path of your level
So it looks something like this:

Once your finished go back to the editor and click tools > run game or  press Ctrl-T
You should be presented with a level like so"

I tried to test and i followed every instruction but i keep getting a failed to load level error
No i'm not blitzcrank, stop asking me.

Psyborg

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 07:44:28 AM »
Excellent tutorial! Thanks very much, it showed me a lot I might not have picked up on myself, like how to link scripts to objects.

Linaru

• That Collectable coin is mine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 10:51:26 AM »
"let’s save your map and give it a test, click file> save name it whatever you wish I recommend something like ‘level_floor_1’  and save it into your levels folder.
Next open up the levels.xml from earlier and change the file path of your level
So it looks something like this:

Once your finished go back to the editor and click tools > run game or  press Ctrl-T
You should be presented with a level like so"

I tried to test and i followed every instruction but i keep getting a failed to load level error

have you tried copying your entire hammerwatch folder to a new directory to test it? i know that there's a bug some people get and that usually fixes it
Stabaddey Stabaddey Zap

Grokitach

• Hotlane Creator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 11:40:04 AM »
Thank you for that guide. It must be a sticky topic in steam :D !! I will finally begin my Dekaron's Deadfront based map

Psyborg

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 10:28:08 PM »
If possible, could someone make a short tutorial on creating light sources?

I made a floor lamp and managed to make the base solid, but Im having trouble getting the light color and intensity to look good.

Im not sure why there are 3 color lines, and what the difference is between the additive and multiplicitive sections.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Dai Tou Zai

• Definitely Not Blitzcrank
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 09:26:48 AM »
have you tried copying your entire hammerwatch folder to a new directory to test it? i know that there's a bug some people get and that usually fixes it

I copied it and pasted it into my docs than tried to test it, it didn't work i keep getting the level error.
No i'm not blitzcrank, stop asking me.

Gamer720

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 09:02:39 PM »
I'm having the same issue as Dai Tou Zai, here is the error message when I try to launch it from the editor or in game:

"--- UNHANDLED EXCEPTION - 8/20/2013 2:20:29 PM - HMW 1.01 DEBUG ---
System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: key
   at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.FindEntry(TKey key)
   at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.TryGetValue(TKey key, TValue& value)
   at TiltedEngine.ResourceBank.GetResource[T](String name) in C:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\Tilted Engine\TiltedEngine\ResourceBank.cs:line 136
   at ARPGGame.ActorBehaviors.CasterActorBehavior..ctor(BehaviorData obj, ResourceBank resBank) in c:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\Behaviors\Enemies\CasterActorBehavior.cs:line 105
   at ARPGGame.WorldItemBehaviors.BehaviorFactory.ProduceActorBehavior(String id, BehaviorData param) in c:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\Behaviors\BehaviorFactory.cs:line 129
   at TiltedEngine.WorldObjects.WorldObjectProducers.ActorType.Produce(Vector2 pos) in C:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\Tilted Engine\TiltedEngine\WorldObjects\WorldObjectProducers\ActorType.cs:line 54
   at TiltedEngine.WorldLoader.LoadActors(SObject save, WorldNode world) in C:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\Tilted Engine\TiltedEngine\WorldLoader.cs:line 224
   at ARPGGame.LevelList.LoadLevel(WorldNode world, WorldDrawer worldDrawer, String level, SObject save) in c:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\LevelList.cs:line 201
   at ARPGGame.GameBase.ClearLevel() in c:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\GameBase.cs:line 494
   at ARPGGame.GameBase.Update(Int32 ms) in c:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\GameBase.cs:line 831
   at ARPGGame.ARPGGame.OnUpdateFrame(FrameEventArgs e) in c:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\Program.cs:line 667
   at OpenTK.GameWindow.RaiseUpdateFrame(Stopwatch update_watch, Double& next_update, FrameEventArgs update_args)
   at OpenTK.GameWindow.Run(Double updates_per_second, Double frames_per_second)
   at ARPGGame.Program.Main(String[] args) in c:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\Program.cs:line 205
------"

Grokitach

• Hotlane Creator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 03:43:29 PM »
Which doodads states can we use on the changedoodadstate script ?

In the exemple there's "dn" for an activated button, but for a rune on the ground, what state do we use to stay it's activated (glowing blue) ?

KptnKook

• Immersive or DIE!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 07:54:42 PM »
why is it, that when i paste a map (i also tried your example map) that the vertical doodads are not the right ones? it uses the right dodads for the horizontal lines, but changes to a wrong doodad for the verticals...

can i look up and edit, which tiles are preseted?

thanks very much.!

doonz

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 05:32:15 AM »
I'm having the same issue as Dai Tou Zai, here is the error message when I try to launch it from the editor or in game:

"--- UNHANDLED EXCEPTION - 8/20/2013 2:20:29 PM - HMW 1.01 DEBUG ---
System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: key
   at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.FindEntry(TKey key)
   at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.TryGetValue(TKey key, TValue& value)
   at TiltedEngine.ResourceBank.GetResource[T](String name) in C:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\Tilted Engine\TiltedEngine\ResourceBank.cs:line 136
   at ARPGGame.ActorBehaviors.CasterActorBehavior..ctor(BehaviorData obj, ResourceBank resBank) in c:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\Behaviors\Enemies\CasterActorBehavior.cs:line 105
   at ARPGGame.WorldItemBehaviors.BehaviorFactory.ProduceActorBehavior(String id, BehaviorData param) in c:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\Behaviors\BehaviorFactory.cs:line 129
   at TiltedEngine.WorldObjects.WorldObjectProducers.ActorType.Produce(Vector2 pos) in C:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\Tilted Engine\TiltedEngine\WorldObjects\WorldObjectProducers\ActorType.cs:line 54
   at TiltedEngine.WorldLoader.LoadActors(SObject save, WorldNode world) in C:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\Tilted Engine\TiltedEngine\WorldLoader.cs:line 224
   at ARPGGame.LevelList.LoadLevel(WorldNode world, WorldDrawer worldDrawer, String level, SObject save) in c:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\LevelList.cs:line 201
   at ARPGGame.GameBase.ClearLevel() in c:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\GameBase.cs:line 494
   at ARPGGame.GameBase.Update(Int32 ms) in c:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\GameBase.cs:line 831
   at ARPGGame.ARPGGame.OnUpdateFrame(FrameEventArgs e) in c:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\Program.cs:line 667
   at OpenTK.GameWindow.RaiseUpdateFrame(Stopwatch update_watch, Double& next_update, FrameEventArgs update_args)
   at OpenTK.GameWindow.Run(Double updates_per_second, Double frames_per_second)
   at ARPGGame.Program.Main(String[] args) in c:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\Program.cs:line 205
------"

i get this error too :(