General Category > Hammerwatch Discussion

Stick shooter capabilities?

(1/2) > >>

Seeker227:
I love playing as the ranger, as many others do, and i really with it would be a twin stick shooter.  Of course only as an option you can turn on and off, and it would be cool on other characters too.  I'm not a mod creator, so I don't know if it is possible, but if it could be added to the game either through mods, or by the game's creators, that would be amazing.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know, it would make the game much more fun!  :D

Linaru:
hammer watch is not a twin-stick shooter.

you wouldn't put fighting game controls on a racing game so why put twin stick shooting on and old school rpg?

adding twin stick controls would completely change both the balance of the game and the way it feels to play.

Seeker227:

--- Quote from: Linaru on August 18, 2013, 02:00:44 AM ---hammer watch is not a twin-stick shooter.

you wouldn't put fighting game controls on a racing game so why put twin stick shooting on and old school rpg?

--- End quote ---

I understand it is a rogue-like, but there is nothing wrong with changing up controls.  I just thought it would make it fun, not thinking it's necessary

Etheric:

--- Quote from: Seeker227 on August 18, 2013, 02:02:53 AM ---I understand it is a rogue-like...

--- End quote ---

*looks forlornly at the long legacy of Gauntlet, lost to the tides of time*

RIP
1985-2005

Legacy aside, you know how easy it is to kite with the ranger?  It'd be stupid easy with twin-stick-shooting.  The other classes would require major buffs to compete.  I know it doesn't seem like much of a change, but imagine playing a survival horror game with FPS controls and cameras.  FPS control schemes are designed to empower the player and allow them to quickly react to their circumstances (with some variations, Tom Clancy shooters are usually less responsive than, say, Halo controls, but that's due to a change in emphasis between strategy and tactics/twitch).  On the other hand, survival-horror games usually try to disempower you.  Can you imagine playing Resident Evil 2 with Halo's controls and camera?  Completely different experience.  Even a hybrid game like Dead Space includes several disempowering elements, such as disguising your HUD into your character's body.

I'm not saying a twin-stick-shooter built by this dev wouldn't be fun.  I'd probably buy it if he/she/they ever made it.  But it would be a completely different game than Hammerwatch.

wonderkush:
I feel that with strafe its already similar, although it would be nice if it had something like spiral knights and added extra keys bindings for face north/facesouth/faceeast/facewest so if you wanted to twin stick you could but didnt have to.(as you could set the face keys to the same keys as your movement.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version