Author Topic: My idea for a Level system  (Read 15383 times)

Drogash

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
My idea for a Level system
« on: August 18, 2013, 07:31:57 PM »
first off id like to say, Keep the Gold upgrades the way they are, I like how we need gold to spend on Upgrades, but on top of that, it would be nice to have a leveling system, that way you don't see people running past all the hard parts, it will make people wanna stay and fight to gain XP to make our guy alittle stronger when he levels up,

when I play a lot of people seem to run past the Butt Pokers the Green plant thing that stabs you if you don't run around, and they don't even care about killing them, a way to stop people from skipping stuff is adding a level system so people feel rewarded for taking on something that strong because when you play hard mode people like to skip a lot of stuff.

now my Idea for what the level system will bring,  im thinking 30-50 max level, maybe higher maybe lower, on level up, we Gain +1 Health , +1 mana , +1 attack, or to make it different everytime. the stats could be randomize , like I got +2 health and +1 attack,  while you got 1 of each or  you can just get +3 attack and nothing else when you level up,  also be cool to add a new effect's to your class once you hit max level, like

Max level Archer will unlock Fire arrows to its passive attack  and it will light people on fire and deal burn damage, kindof like the poison but not as much damage
 Pally at max level,  sword becomes Longer, or  hes Change summons a wall of flames behide him, that hurts any monster that walks in it, but not hes allies or himself
Wizard at max level, can shot 2-3 extra fire balls, or hes fire breath range is alot longer,
Warlock at max level can summon a skeleton archer for a pet, or  when monsters die from hes Poison, they explode and spared poison to other monsters near by

i would also love to see more classes in this game in the future, maybe a Throwing axe Barbarian that has duel weild axes that throws 2 axes at once,

hes 2nd ability would be a stance change from Melee to range, it would also cost mana to change hes stance, so you cant just be switching back and forth from Melee and range all the time, or just make hes 2nd ability a melee attack that cost mana  eather way works.

i just like to say i really enjoy this game it reminds me of my all time favort co-op game gauntlet legends and i just like to say i think you guys are doing a great job with the game, id i would love to see more Gauntlet Death traps in the game, because i enjoy trying to dodge traps when they one shot you, this is the game ive been looking for for some time,

Seeker227

• Never. Miss.
    • View Profile
    • Art Of A Freak: Art Contests
Re: My idea for a Level system
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 02:05:19 AM »
I'm sorry that I do not share the same opinion.  If exp was added to the game, people could easily stand around the corner from a spawner, and just mash the default attack button to level up, then do the whole campaign at max level.  Enemies like the plant things do give a reward of money, and that is used for upgrades, so i do see it as rewarding. (Although I do not recall that specific mob dropping money, many strong ones do.)

I do however love the idea of new classes.  I would like to see an axe wielder, fisticuffs fighter, and a rouge (not because its a rouge-like, simply because rouges and archers are all i really like to play as in any game.)
Never. Miss.

Drogash

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 05:27:08 PM »
I'm sorry that I do not share the same opinion.  If exp was added to the game, people could easily stand around the corner from a spawner, and just mash the default attack button to level up, then do the whole campaign at max level.  Enemies like the plant things do give a reward of money, and that is used for upgrades, so i do see it as rewarding. (Although I do not recall that specific mob dropping money, many strong ones do.)

I do however love the idea of new classes.  I would like to see an axe wielder, fisticuffs fighter, and a rouge (not because its a rouge-like, simply because rouges and archers are all i really like to play as in any game.)

Well if you ever played Gauntlet legends, or diablo 3, the monster spawners only give you a X amount of XP, and then after that, the monsters you kill give 0 XP,
just like in Diablo 3 before you kill the Skeleton King, theres the 4 pillars, that spawn a lot of skeletons,you only get XP at the start, but if you try and wait and build them up then there give off 0 XP, same with Gaunlet legends for N64, the spawners only give you like 25xp, and after that the monsters that come out, only give you 0 XP, 

so say, each monster gives 1XP per kill,    once the spawner spawned 25 monsters,  the other 26 and on will give you 0 XP  only the first 25 monsters give XP

Seeker227

• Never. Miss.
    • View Profile
    • Art Of A Freak: Art Contests
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 10:27:30 PM »
That idea does sound much better, however I like the game with the current upgrade system.  I would like to see that as a separate game mode though.
Never. Miss.

Drogash

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 07:40:45 AM »
the Gold system to buy upgardes will still be in the game, maybe they could make it so you have to be this level to buy that upgrade would be pretty cool because that leaves room for more upgardes,

DragonSlayer

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 02:34:51 AM »

Well if you ever played Gauntlet legends, or diablo 3, the monster spawners only give you a X amount of XP, and then after that, the monsters you kill give 0 XP,
just like in Diablo 3 before you kill the Skeleton King, theres the 4 pillars, that spawn a lot of skeletons,you only get XP at the start, but if you try and wait and build them up then there give off 0 XP, same with Gaunlet legends for N64, the spawners only give you like 25xp, and after that the monsters that come out, only give you 0 XP, 

so say, each monster gives 1XP per kill,    once the spawner spawned 25 monsters,  the other 26 and on will give you 0 XP  only the first 25 monsters give XP

Or Spawner Monsters give out 0 XP for the first few patches so that we don't wait months of waiting for the long needed update from the creators.

Heretic

• Castle Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 02:59:03 AM »
If xp were added to the game it would be a different kind of game. All of a sudden every game you play would be a grind, and not a puzzle or a challenge - "just wanna clear every level so I can level up". The reward for killing a monster is that that monster is no longer trying to kill you, and you're one step closer to the end of the dungeon. This isn't a diablo or another roguelike, it's more based on the original Gauntlet for the NES, Contra NES, etc. Like Smash TV, action/bullethell with puzzles and traps.

RPGMatthew

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 04:05:36 AM »
I completely agree with OP.  Its frustrating playing with people who don't even fight difficult parts or would rather skip them all together.  Some type of reward for killing stronger monsters (like plants) seems like a great addition!  I do like the idea of leveling up, especially if it can be designed so that it can't be abused.  Even if xp isn't implemented, a reward for killing stronger monsters sounds like a good idea! Especially on harder modes.

Linaru

• That Collectable coin is mine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 08:52:02 AM »
i don't think a levelling system would work in a game like hammerwatch if you added it a patch you would be changing how the game works in quite a large way.
however i do understand the frustration with people ignoring flowers or other tough mobs and moving on.

i know myran and hipshot are planning on a ding stat boost drops in the next patch, perhaps a solution would be to give flowers a chance to drop these, so killing them might permanently boost the players without adding any of the tedious grinding that comes with a levelling system ?
-----------------------------------------------------------
Stabaddey Stabaddey Zap
-----------------------------------------------------------

Heretic

• Castle Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 02:41:18 PM »
I don't see what's wrong with avoiding certain traps that are hard with no reward. The traps' job is to make an area dangerous. If the player can go in, get what they need and leave without dying that's part of the challenge. Why should you have to kill every last thing in the dungeon? You only have to make it through ><.

People who want to clear everything will. People who want to run past a trap or avoid it entirely should be able to. Rewarding the one who kills every last tower just seems superfluous. I don't see a problem with adding the option for custom games and such but... You didn't need XP in Contra, you only needed lives. You didn't need xp in Gauntlet, you only needed skill. In the original gauntlet you had 1 life and your hp ticked away every second. I suppose there was 'leveling' up but it was getting higher max HP for getting GOLD. Gold gave xp, not killing people. This is much the same concept.

"There are 40 monsters between me and that gold. Do I:"

A. Kill all 40 for the gold.
B. Run through, kill a few and grab the gold in the confusion.
C. Leave the gold, it's too dangerous.
D. Play another game.

Not everyone chooses the same option there.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 02:43:47 PM by Pwnography »

Keefachu

• Yakisooobaaaa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 01:31:34 AM »
I don't think a leveling system would be good in a game like this. It's change the gameplay in a really large way!

Nastaros

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 03:37:33 PM »
maybe a 100% chance of money drop from stronger monsters like the plant would make people want to kill them.. we don't need a whole leveling system for that

MadMan

• Faggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 07:07:55 PM »
On ratchet and clanks, bolts are a currency, and the more you kill, you get weapon exp. All they did, is the spawner keeps spawning, but every time, you get less and less bolts, and less and weapon exp, until you get none, so in hammerwatch, you should just get less and less gold. Just an idea.

RPGMatthew

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 03:58:08 AM »
I don't see what's wrong with avoiding certain traps that are hard with no reward. The traps' job is to make an area dangerous. If the player can go in, get what they need and leave without dying that's part of the challenge. Why should you have to kill every last thing in the dungeon? You only have to make it through ><.

People who want to clear everything will. People who want to run past a trap or avoid it entirely should be able to. Rewarding the one who kills every last tower just seems superfluous. I don't see a problem with adding the option for custom games and such but... You didn't need XP in Contra, you only needed lives. You didn't need xp in Gauntlet, you only needed skill. In the original gauntlet you had 1 life and your hp ticked away every second. I suppose there was 'leveling' up but it was getting higher max HP for getting GOLD. Gold gave xp, not killing people. This is much the same concept.

"There are 40 monsters between me and that gold. Do I:"

A. Kill all 40 for the gold.
B. Run through, kill a few and grab the gold in the confusion.
C. Leave the gold, it's too dangerous.
D. Play another game.

Not everyone chooses the same option there.

I'm confused.  This situation you describe explains exactly why there should be a reward for killing stronger monsters.  You don't want to kill him thats fine.  You don't think there should be a reward for doing optional enemies?  The idea of a leveling system...okay maybe not the best idea.  But damn could i atleast get an apple?  Maybe a stack of gold coins (which is what...5 coins?).  I mean it's not like im asking for a green ankh every plant lol.

Also, in Gauntlet (particular Dark Legacy) killing giant monsters often gave you an item.  Just thought i'd say that.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 04:01:41 AM by RPGMatthew »

Heretic

• Castle Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 10:35:12 AM »
Gauntlet Dark Legacy was a terrible game. Just wanted to say that.

Also, you already get gold and such from monsters? It's very easy to change the .xml file to guarantee money from each special kill if you like, I see no problem with that sort of progression.