0 (0%)
Could be better
10 (23.8%)
Good
10 (23.8%)
Excellent
21 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: [Campaign][WIP] : Requiem of Hammerwatch : alpha 0.8.5 (last edition : 05/31)  (Read 99837 times)

bigdaddyseany

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Re: [Campaign][WIP] : Requiem of Hammerwatch : alpha 0.8
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2013, 10:03:11 AM »
I had a chance to play this last night.  I enjoyed it a lot!  It was fun exploring the village and finding chests!

Xeronkar

• Boss scripter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2013, 04:32:11 PM »
Happy to see your enjoyement :D

We'll continue to work on this campaign, but slowly, because we just go back to our studies, and we'll focus on it

Clarity

• Community Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2013, 12:42:54 AM »
Review: Requiem of Hammerwatch, boy oh boy. This looked like it took a bit of work to make huh? At first I entered the town and my first impression was, "Wow, I have high hopes for this map." I felt like the music and sprites were great, but they aren't yours and were made somewhere else, that really leveled things down for me because I was genuinely hoping for a new and great experience in this game. I liked the fact that there were chests in the forest, but they weren't really secret because of how visible they were and the fact that an NPC just blurts out that there's treasure in the forest and the NPCs have some bad english, I feel you should really review.

The main problem: Eventually I moved on to the first dungeon and as I immediately saw just a swarm of 50 skeletons, I closed the game and began to write this. No. Just no. I see this happen too much in too many maps, that is now just really annoying. HammerWatch in all honesty is a pretty easy game, but a lot of people just aren't that good or make it seem like it is much harder than it is. The main problem with maps and people complaining HammerWatch is easy and then trying to fix it with mobs in numbers is completely wrong. Don't try to make something "hard" by having lots of numbers, that is not the way to go. Having millions of mobs doesn't make it hard, it makes it plain tedious and not harder in anyway. The main campaign is way harder, why? They don't use millions of mobs in every room, they map them out plan where they are trying to make every corner you turn another experience with more difficulty. If you want to make a hard dungeon, make puzzles and consider less mobs with a nice layout making it really difficult.

Rating: 1/5

Xeronkar

• Boss scripter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2013, 01:01:26 AM »
So you just notted the entire campaign on three maps ?

Anyway, you just gone in the wrong side of the village, because it's not the first dungeon, but a start of an arena system, and need loooooot of improvements.
To continue the story, just go to the left, and discover our real work ;)

About bad english, i have a low/average level in this language, and my friend a very low level. So we'll do our best to improve that point, but it can take some time :/

And about custom graphics, we don't have any and i think we'll don't have for the moment, because we just want to improve systems in first ;)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 01:03:58 AM by Xeronkar »

Clarity

• Community Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2013, 01:06:08 AM »
So you just notted the entire campaign on three maps ?

Anyway, you just gone in the wrong side of the village, because it's not the first dungeon, but a start of an arena system, and need loooooot of improvements.
To continue the story, just go to the left, and discover our real work ;)

About bad english, i have a low/average level in this language, and my friend a very low level. So we'll do our best to improve that point, but it can take some time :/

And about custom graphics, we don't have any and i think we'll don't have for the moment, because we just want to improve systems in first ;)

A little clarification on what that was would've been helpful. I will return with another review.

Xeronkar

• Boss scripter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2013, 01:19:03 AM »
I placed a NPC who explain it's the arena here :)
But i'll probably add a map only for the arena, or his entrance at least

Clarity

• Community Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2013, 01:31:32 AM »
I placed a NPC who explain it's the arena here :)
But i'll probably add a map only for the arena, or his entrance at least

Review: As I continued the journey I think the first dungeon was well made. I felt happier that this dungeon was in the game. I don't have much time so this is as far as I can go. Overall I felt the first dungeon really hit the spot in terms of level design and it was everything I could have asked for.

Problem: The first boss, as a ranger wasn't difficult at all. I just sat there and fired, then in a few minutes it died. It wasn't able to hit me with anything, it's little minions died instantly and all the boss did is sit there and die in front of me, so I think the boss needs to be fixed for class equality. All I can see is melees having a little trouble with it, that's all. Besides that the boss acted like the first boss in the main campaign so it didn't feel too unique, but it was a great attempt.

Rating: 2.5/5

Xeronkar

• Boss scripter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2013, 01:56:41 AM »
You know there is other dungeons after ?
Once the first dungeon is clean, you can access to the second.

And as a ranger, like a lot of bosses, you don't have problem with bosses in general.
But i remind you it's just the first boss, the easiest of the whole campaign ;)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 02:45:16 AM by Xeronkar »

Clarity

• Community Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2013, 04:29:58 AM »
You know there is other dungeons after ?
Once the first dungeon is clean, you can access to the second.

And as a ranger, like a lot of bosses, you don't have problem with bosses in general.
But i remind you it's just the first boss, the easiest of the whole campaign ;)

Back, I know there's more dungeons afterwards I just didn't have the time to look through it, but overall I feel like you're going in the right path, but you just need updated NPCs, custom sprites and custom music or the HammerWatch music, then you'll be fine.

RPGMatthew

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2013, 12:31:21 AM »
Very difficult for Paladin.  Of course i'm playing on hard though.

Xeronkar

• Boss scripter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2013, 12:41:29 AM »
Yes, that's why 2 players are recomanded :)

Heretic

• Castle Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2013, 02:50:43 AM »
I'll check this out tonight sir! Working on my campaign marathon style :P

RPGMatthew

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2013, 04:01:37 AM »
Yes, that's why 2 players are recomanded :)

Going to solo it anyway!  This campaign is really fun. I hope to play the finished project one day.

Xeronkar

• Boss scripter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2013, 07:05:57 AM »
The 0.9 will come this week i hope :)

Grokitach

• Hotlane Creator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2013, 08:02:11 AM »
Review: Requiem of Hammerwatch, boy oh boy. This looked like it took a bit of work to make huh? At first I entered the town and my first impression was, "Wow, I have high hopes for this map." I felt like the music and sprites were great, but they aren't yours and were made somewhere else, that really leveled things down for me because I was genuinely hoping for a new and great experience in this game. I liked the fact that there were chests in the forest, but they weren't really secret because of how visible they were and the fact that an NPC just blurts out that there's treasure in the forest and the NPCs have some bad english, I feel you should really review.

The main problem: Eventually I moved on to the first dungeon and as I immediately saw just a swarm of 50 skeletons, I closed the game and began to write this. No. Just no. I see this happen too much in too many maps, that is now just really annoying. HammerWatch in all honesty is a pretty easy game, but a lot of people just aren't that good or make it seem like it is much harder than it is. The main problem with maps and people complaining HammerWatch is easy and then trying to fix it with mobs in numbers is completely wrong. Don't try to make something "hard" by having lots of numbers, that is not the way to go. Having millions of mobs doesn't make it hard, it makes it plain tedious and not harder in anyway. The main campaign is way harder, why? They don't use millions of mobs in every room, they map them out plan where they are trying to make every corner you turn another experience with more difficulty. If you want to make a hard dungeon, make puzzles and consider less mobs with a nice layout making it really difficult.

Rating: 1/5

Swarms of skeleton are not hard, they are just fun.