Author Topic: [Campaign] Rogue-like Dungeon Generator v1.1  (Read 62054 times)

Negative

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
[Campaign] Rogue-like Dungeon Generator v1.1
« on: August 31, 2013, 03:05:27 AM »
I thought Hammerwatch would be great as a rogue-like game with randomly generated levels.  So I made a random campaign generator, in Java!

Features:
  • Fully random dungeons, with shops, doors/keys, power-ups, and lots of monsters.
  • Many parameters are configurable using the included parameters.txt file, such as number of levels, level sizes, monster difficulty, etc.
  • In the spirit of rogue-like games everywhere, you only get one life!

Wishlist (I may or may not get around to including these)
  • More dungeon features, like traps, secret passages, bosses.
  • More kinds of level layout styles, like labyrinths
  • Some kind of story
  • A better ending. (the current one is just a placeholder)
  • Aesthetic touches

Get it here: (includes a sample randomly generated campaign)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1s222xzttv70jb3/DungeonGen.rar

Usage:
Must have Java installed - simply extract everything into a single folder (anywhere) and run the included GenerateCampaign.bat and it will create a random campaign in the Hammerwatch levels folder automatically.

Note: If you have a non-standard C: drive steam installation you will have to update the path in parameters.txt.

v1.1 changes:
  • Fixed multiplayer level exit glitch. (dead teammates re-spawn when you progress to the next level)
  • Keys now match at least one locked door on each level. (sometimes there are 2 locked rooms and only 1 key)
  • Attempted to fix Linux/OSX path problems, though I was only able to test on windows.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 07:21:57 PM by Negative »

Xeronkar

• Boss scripter
    • View Profile
Re: [Campaign] Rogue-like Dungeon Generator v1.0
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 03:18:53 AM »
I think you should place your post in Editor discussion :3

Then, you really made an amazing job, congrats !!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 04:10:03 AM by Xeronkar »

Heretic

• Castle Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 03:51:42 AM »
Simply awesome, great job and thanks!

ejh1990

• ( n _ n )
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 02:08:19 PM »
I think I love you. <3

This is exactly the sort of thing Hammerwatch needed to be that little bit better.

The only issue with this generator is that it's not Linux friendly:

java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "/home/edward/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Hammerwatch\editor\LevelPacker.exe": error=2, No such file or directory

It's the "\editor\LevelPacker.exe" that's the culprit, as it would be "/editor/LevelPacker.exe" in Linux land. Unfortunately, that part you can't control in the params txt file. :P

Anyhow, minor point aside this project shows real promise. Will definitely love to see how this matures further. :)

Mac users will also probably be affected by the same issue for the same reason. I don't use a Mac, but as far as I am aware, being of the *nix family it'd also likely separate files with "/" rather than "\".

-----

final edit: I have managed to get it working fully with Linux. It involves working with a hex editor, though. I am torn whether or not to share what values I edited to get it working though. On one hand, it'd help Mac/Linux users like myself. But on the other, it's not all that different than if I were to just redistribute the file (which isn't exactly ethical - I don't have permission to do that). And not to mention that it'd bite me on the bum if something went wrong.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 04:14:38 PM by ejh1990 »

Linaru

• That Collectable coin is mine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 05:45:54 PM »
looks interesting, tough judging by the picture its pretty basic at the moment, i hope you continue to improve it so it will generate fancyer dungeons.

however i have not been able to get it to work yet but some toughts based ony our sample map:

would be good to have some balancing so that difficulty progresses evenly, sample map has too many bat spawners piled up making hard mode impposible.

door areas may be too big ? whole party seems to teleport back to beginning of the map when one of us gets near the door instead of waiting for everyone

would be nice to load from a custom assets folder. for example if you put a new image into a folder it would replace player graphics with custom ones.

I think you should place your post in Editor discussion :3

i think this is the right discussion since it is essentially sharing a map.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 06:16:14 PM by Linaru »
-----------------------------------------------------------
Stabaddey Stabaddey Zap
-----------------------------------------------------------

ejh1990

• ( n _ n )
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 06:00:47 PM »
door areas may be too big ? whole party seems to teleport back to beginning of the map when one of us gets near the door instead of waiting for everyone

I experienced that issue on one random generation too. On the same map, I also had an error where there was a bronze door but no bronze key. There was a gold key, but gold keys generally work best on gold doors. :P

Negative

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 06:17:54 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!  I will see about fixing some of these problems soon. 

ejh1990

• ( n _ n )
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 06:22:35 PM »
I reloaded the map that had the exit glitch in single player mode and... The glitch doesn't occur. I believe it might only be affecting multiplayer mode. That said, I am not using a clean version of the generator, so it'd need someone with Windows to verify this. :)

Myran

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 06:26:04 PM »
Very impressive! A couple of issues though, first of all it doesn't work on a computer with a locale that outputs , instead of . as a decimal separator, an easy fix is just to add "-Duser.language=en -Duser.country=US" to the java command in the bat file.
A bigger issue is the level change scripts you're placing, you do a LevelExitArea which is right, but the AreaTrigger->RespawnPlayers means you can't switch levels in multiplayer since as soon as someone enters the area everyone respawns at the level start. You should be able to make a GlobalEventTrigger(LevelLoaded)->RespawnPlayers on every level for the same effect though.

ejh1990

• ( n _ n )
    • View Profile
Re: [Campaign] Rogue-like Dungeon Generator v1.1
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 07:40:09 PM »
So I noticed that you updated the generator. I tried it out, and yep... It does now indeed work for Mac/Linux. Well, Linux at least. Thank you for addressing that. You are an awesome person. :)

Quick question... Will there be tower flowers and gargoyles added at a later date? It's not in the wishlist, but it would be something awesome to have. :D

Negative

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 08:23:42 PM »
Awesome, I'm glad it worked :).  I will be sure to slip in those tower flowers and gargoyles in the next update.  I'll be honest though, I plan on taking a break from this project for a bit.

Psyborg

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 08:02:07 PM »
This looks awesome!! Lufia 2 Ancient Cave!!

Honestly, I haven't had time to try it yet but I'm definitely going to! Definitely don't burn yourself out on the project...I burnt myself out on mine and found out I really don't have the time and energy to spend every day for the next multiple months working on what I had planned, so I will probably just release the unfinished project and resources for anyone who wants...

Juschlan

• I like trains.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 10:40:19 AM »
This is a fantastic idea! Thank you for putting this up, will help some people.
But a thing I don't like is, that the items and characters are placed randomly in the room. I know, that characters are near spawns, barrels close to walls in groups etc.
The wall placement is good, but I miss the secrets, where you need to destroy a wall or something. Also I really enjoy the arches so you walk through a "tunnel" or something. Hope you add your wishlist features, will look much much better.

Keefachu

• Yakisooobaaaa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 03:36:40 AM »
Although it's pretty basic, this is tons of fun. I like to mess around with the parameters and spawn a bunch of enemies and gold, hehe..

KptnKook

• Immersive or DIE!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 12:50:41 PM »
i will be putting your generator in my custom world. so after or while playing campaign/story mode, you can always go and check randomgenerated dngns for "new" amusement or loot!  8)