Author Topic: Future patches, upcoming features and fixes.  (Read 62717 times)

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
Future patches, upcoming features and fixes.
« on: September 02, 2013, 12:07:09 PM »
Hi,

So, just to let people know what's ahead, here's a little list of what to expect in the near future and also what to might expect in the distant future.

Near future:
No date for any of these things, will probably not be in the same patch.

An additional upgrade system:
In addition to upgrading your character by using the shops, we are introducing items that can upgrade your stats, like armor, health, damage and mana. These items can also be added to custom maps and be modded to upgrade whatever is in the tweak-data files. These upgrades affects the whole party, not a single character.

Better chests:
Chests can now drop multiple items, so don't be surprised if you see an apple, a small diamond and a worthless shoe drop out of a chest.

Proper scoring and stats screen:
Myran has added a lot more stats collection to the engine, this allows us to do two things, fix up the end scoring of the campaign and add a real stats screen, with a lot of info, all the things you want your friends to see, so they know how's the guy. This will show the real distance between pro/am.

The Survival level:
in the beta, we had a survival level, it wasn't very enjoyable (Linaru made it a lot more fun though). Obsolete made his own survival level that we liked a lot, especially that concept of a survival. So, inspired by that one, we are releasing a Survival level, where the goal is to survive to the end and kill the boss, saving will be prohibited on this level and you start with zero lives (however, you can still buy them at the store). Money in this level is represented in the form of crystals shards that can be mined by hitting the larger crystals placed around the level, sometimes a chest or two will also fall down to give you a upgrade or some health.

This level is introducing a whole new theme too, a Dark Steel cave theme, I will release the psds for that theme too, included in the PSD is the raw brown/stone theme that modder can use for their own caves. There won't be any new enemy types on it, except for the boss (which is a caster lich), that will introduce another skill for the lich, some AOE damage thingie.

Steam achievements:
We are adding some more achievements to the campaign and at least one to the survival level, finding the Bonus levels and perhaps also some character bound ones, like getting 800 combo in a row, or something.

Updated campaign levels:
There has been numerous fixes to the campaign, mostly bug fixes - we are not changing any major feature of the campaign. However, we're adding the upgrade system to it (how else would anyone ever notice it?), re-tweaking some things, adding a teleport to the first boss (like the others have). This will break any current save game in the campaign, just so people know that.

Steam Cards:
We are having some more concept art made for the game, this will be used for various things, but most importantly, for Steam trading cards, this might be a while though.

There are other things too, like drop-in-join, masterservers and such, but Myran will have to write more about that - cause I know nothing about it.

Distant future:
Most of these things are really far away.... as it looks now.

New campaign:
We want to release another campaign in the future, set in a totally different location. That's why I've started to draw a desert theme and talking to several artists about creating some new custom enemies and such. This campaign might contain up to two new full size bosses and also minibosses, maybe some more and different puzzles etc, achievements and what not.

Classes:
The Rogue and The Priest, are two classes that has been talked about the most lately. I have no real info about any of them yet, they are only in our head, but you could guess that a Rogue can perhaps throw knifes and backstab for more damage? The Priest will take over the party healing from the Paladin and maybe have a beam attack that damages enemies and heals friends (like the Medic in TF2), these are just ideas and a big job to implement, new graphics etc, so we will see what happens.

PVP:
That would be fun and add a new dimension to the game play, but that's also a big job to fix, we need to rebalance classes, create levels etc.

Editor:
I thought it would be nice to be able to create and play tower-defense in this game, but the editor and game needs to be fixed to be able to handle such things, they are a bit more advanced and also might require some kind of UI-support.

If I think of something, I will add it to this thread. Myran will probably post some more tech things too, about fixes, features etc etc.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 01:20:07 PM by Hipshot »

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Future patches, upcoming features and fixes.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 12:07:20 PM »
reserved

Myran

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 01:37:43 PM »
A clarification about saves breaking when we update the campaign..  the saves will still work, but they will load in to the old version of the campaign, if you want to with the new version you will need to start from the beginning.

Xeronkar

• Boss scripter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 03:35:03 PM »
So after reading the post, i really enjoyed this new. In first, i really hope a biggest editor capacity.

I really enjoyed your idea to add some stats screens and tabs, that could help for customers to set up difficulty and where to set power ups, etc.

For the power up, are they permanent or temporary ?

For the survival map, i'll test it of course, but i really prefer largest campaign with a rich story/background

For Steam achievements, you can be sure i will soon make all of them ;)

For Steam Cards, that's what i was really waiting for, 'cause i already cumulated 120 hours of playing, that's mean lot of cards losted ^^

For your idea about a rogue class, backstab isn't a great idea with the actual battle system, because the ennemies automatically aim the nearest player. As a rogue, you're forced to be near as possible of your target, so you can't do a backstab. Or maybe a combo, like a stunt and next a backstab ?
If you're planing a priest, will the paladin's heal will be removed ?

About the PvP, it's the feature i'm waiting the less. I don't like competitions, i love cooperation instead.

So, i just want to thank you again to giving us news, and to be so near of us, reading our proposals.

Keep going, you have lot of potential with Hammerwatch ;)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 03:52:17 PM by Xeronkar »

Kavex

• Modder/Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 05:14:18 PM »
I can't wait for even half those features but the ones I'm most excited about is drop-in-join and I'm guessing masterserver is dedicated server and if it is I'll be running one.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 05:47:43 PM by Kavex »

Xeronkar

• Boss scripter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 05:20:13 PM »
I think i will set a dedicated server for my custom campaign too, joinable by every-one it could be really great

Clarity

• Community Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 05:22:49 PM »
Sweet! The new patches look really good and I'm especially excited for the survival update. Keep up the great work!

Heretic

• Castle Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 06:37:11 PM »
Desert theme eh? Did you happen to see the scorpion i posted in the forum? I'll upload my fixed version now that has no glitches :P 

MadMan

• Faggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 07:19:09 PM »
What will happen to current custom maps, and also, ones that are currently in the middle of the making?

Myran

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 07:44:14 PM »
I can't wait for even half those features but the ones I'm most excited about is drop-in-join and I'm guessing masterserver is dedicated server and if it is I'll be running one.
The masterserver is for NAT punchthrough so people wont have to port forward.

What will happen to current custom maps, and also, ones that are currently in the middle of the making?
We will keep backwards compatability, none of these features will break anything, it's just extra stuff you can add to maps if you want.

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 08:25:50 PM »
Desert theme eh? Did you happen to see the scorpion i posted in the forum? I'll upload my fixed version now that has no glitches :P

I saw the scorpion yes!
The desert location is one of many on my lore world map, that I drew in the beginning of this project, the survival level will be placed on one of those locations too...

Kavex

• Modder/Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 10:41:57 PM »
The masterserver is for NAT punchthrough so people wont have to port forward.

Us server administrators get no love!!!

Linaru

• That Collectable coin is mine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 11:08:32 PM »

I saw the scorpion yes!
The desert location is one of many on my lore world map, that I drew in the beginning of this project, the survival level will be placed on one of those locations too...

show us the lore map!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Stabaddey Stabaddey Zap
-----------------------------------------------------------

Solandro

• Dragon Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 11:42:52 PM »
I feel a guide of light and hope. After i recently lost my windows to a crap virus i've been on linux. The ever so limited open source product called ubuntu. I recently purchased this lovely looking game and i thought i'm going to get hooked, until i tried to play it. That's when i saw the mono problem and fixed it. after that it worked. But all the game did was play Menu music and sit there frozen doing nothing at all. I need guidance unto what i need to do to make it work. i'm using a crappy HP computer with "unknown" graphics card. But if i can run GTA3 and Counter Strike as well as Postal 2 and 3, i think i can play Hammerwatch. any suggestions? please either message me on the forum on email me at "irck.one@gmail.com". Thank whoever takes time to read these btw :D
I'm getting fired up!

Kavex

• Modder/Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 11:54:50 PM »
I feel a guide of light and hope. After i recently lost my windows to a crap virus i've been on linux. The ever so limited open source product called ubuntu. I recently purchased this lovely looking game and i thought i'm going to get hooked, until i tried to play it. That's when i saw the mono problem and fixed it. after that it worked. But all the game did was play Menu music and sit there frozen doing nothing at all. I need guidance unto what i need to do to make it work. i'm using a crappy HP computer with "unknown" graphics card. But if i can run GTA3 and Counter Strike as well as Postal 2 and 3, i think i can play Hammerwatch. any suggestions? please either message me on the forum on email me at "email removed from quote". Thank whoever takes time to read these btw :D

Linux is only limited to your capabilities otherwise it's unlimited since it is open source. People do compile and add their own tweaks to ubuntu and that is what it is their for. If anything is limited it is apple products. You should really go to the ubuntu forums for that type of help.